pixeltracker

Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight- Page 5

Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#100re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/3/08 at 1:18pm

I didn't read all the responses, so forgive me if this was mentioned, but a couple weeks ago at one show, in the curtain speech they said that if anyone had a cell phone out at all, they would ASSUME that it was being used to take a picture and it would be confiscated and the person would be removed from the theatre. Can't remember which show that was -- Naked Boys Singing, maybe? I thought it was a great idea.

Why on earth would anyone post on this thread suggesting Patty Lupone needs to get over herself for this action. Are some of you saying it is fine to sit in the front row and text during a show? You've got to be kidding.

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#101re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/3/08 at 1:25pm

To those commenting on Patti LuPone's "craft" and where her attention should be, I understand the impulse, but let's put this in perspective:

No offense to actors who have stopped the show by breaking character and chastizing an audience member (if that's what they feel is best, then I'm not going to judge them), but compare such an action to what Ms. LuPone did. She noticed the distraction (how could she not?), eyed it again to make sure it hadn't stopped, and then contacted stage management who contacted front of house management to correct the problem.

In my opinion, that's a much more professional approach for an actor to take. Ms. LuPone did not stop the show or break character and the moment to blow up at a rude patron. While we may find that entertaining to some extent, it does indeed interrupt and negatively affect the show and emotional journey for the hundreds of other patrons who are behaving themselves and that's not really fair.

Patti avoided such actions, so I think it's unfair to insult her integrity as an actor. She continued to honor her character and play her scenes.

I say kudos to her for taking the professional route to solve the problem/her frustration.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#102re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/3/08 at 1:33pm

Hear hear, H.H.!

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#103re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/3/08 at 1:41pm

I have never witnessed an actor breaking character to confront an audience member, but honestly I wouldn't mind really mind it. Actors have pet peeves too, and some people deserve to feel embarrassed and humiliated.

jeniferrenepatricia's story about Anne Bancroft (page 2) is brilliant.

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#104re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/3/08 at 2:00pm

Before I enter a theatre to see any show I remove the battery from my cell phone completely. I don't take any chances.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#105re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight

Patash, that was indeed NAKED BOYS SINGING!

Here's my post from October 2007 where an actor stopped the show because a cell phone was out.

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?boardid=1&boardname=bway&thread=946011

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#106re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight

I was at one of Rosemary Clooney's late cabaret appearances at Rainbow & Stars here in New York. There was a dunk man at a good table, whose wife kept shushing him because his over-loud utterances were clearly disturbing Ms. Clooney, who was known for not suffering fools.

Finally, Rosemary called over the maitre d', whispered in his ear and then announced to the drunk, "That's it. You're outta here. I just paid your check and you're leaving. NOW."

The drunk started to talk back to her but she had a microphone. She just said, "I don't wanna hear another word outta you. You've said too much already. I want to keep singing, and I don't want to do it with you here."

Then she turned to the drunk man's embarrassed wife and said, "Get your husband outta here. I paid your check. The tip too. Just GO."

After a lot of applause, Rosemary Clooney finished her set in peace.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#107re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/3/08 at 2:01pm

She couldn't have used the 15 minutes of intermission to figure out how to turn the ****er off?

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

carnimiriel Profile Photo
carnimiriel
#108re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/3/08 at 2:03pm

Last Sat, a cellphone rang out during a quiet scene between Laura Linney & Ben Daniels. It kept ringing and when it finally stopped, Ben, in character, asked Laura to repeat herself since he didn't hear her and turned and looked straight at the person whose phone had been ringing. There was a lot of applause for that.

88cents Profile Photo
88cents
#109re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/3/08 at 2:57pm

Yup, Patti managed to LuPwn twice in one night, once in the front of the orchestra and once in the front of the balcony. I wonder how much thought the actors really have to give things like phones and cameras. From the number of stories posted, it seems like a great deal, unfortunately.

The balcony person posted this on that Wicked board:

Sorry, yeah that was me. i should have clarified I was in the FRONT of the balcony, not the front row (i wish!). I read what they wrote on broadwayworld and it was pretty crude, but that story WAS different. I couldn't really see much of anything anyway because of that silly bar on the edge. And tell them i never thought the show was boring....the lights, sets, and costumes were a little underwhelming, but what i saw of the people, everyone was doing great. My mom wants to write them a letter, but i said not unless i get to include what i want in it. Hope everything's worked out now. Bur Staci, that was still real uncalled for...my original post was deleted for my own benefit, and i didn't want it to get taken the wrong way. If i could go back in time, i would, but oh....that is not possible. Hopefully this is what i needed to fix everything up.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#110re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/3/08 at 3:00pm

Oy.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#111re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/3/08 at 3:03pm

re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight

". . . POP . . ."

LadyRosecoe
#112re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/3/08 at 3:25pm

I agree about her handling it wisely. I was not an advocate of her actions in shutting a Sweeney performance down briefly to scold a patron with a cellphone. I don't find cellphones conducive to a theater going experience and they should be turned off well before the show starts, but it doesn't help the behaved patrons to have further reason to groan after having paid the money for a performance, not a lecture to one moron.

What she did had no negative affect on the performance itself and utilized the stage management to track down the offender and remove them. Mission accomplished, kudos to her.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#113re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/3/08 at 5:18pm

"I just got a brand new phone the day before, so I really didn't know what it could do."

I didn't know what my phone could do. . . like RING? Who would have guessed a phone could do that!

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

BroadwayDivaaa Profile Photo
BroadwayDivaaa
#114re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/3/08 at 6:29pm

The girl had it coming. She should know better then to even have her phone on during a show. If it's one of those phones that won't turn off put it on silent, and keep it in your bag durring the show! It is so disrespectful to be messing with your phone durring a show! And if she was front row, Patti couldn't help but notice, she has a lot of audenice interaction. Patti is amazing!

"Love the art in yourself, not yourself in the art"

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#115re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/3/08 at 9:43pm

PATTY? The bitch spells it PATTY? P-A-T-T-Y? Are you f'ing joking, biatch? It's PATTI! With an "I"!
And Hanna, I love your Simpson image. I can't remember what episode that's from! Ah! I know it's from something! "Cape Fear?" No, that's when Bart writes WIDE LOAD on Homer's ass. Ahh!

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#116re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/3/08 at 9:48pm

My Best Friend was texting during Avenue Q and I said "DUDE, it's rude to txt during a show." He said, "So are fireworks in Il. But you do them."

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

gypsy4
wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#118re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/4/08 at 1:20am

Cool?

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

wphsmusic
#119re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/4/08 at 4:40am

If I was sitting in the front row and Patti was glaring through a curtain at me, I would have most likely burst into flames. Perhaps I would have just vanished into thin air.

levitatingcow11 Profile Photo
levitatingcow11
#120re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/13/08 at 2:25am

God damn, the bottom line in theater etiquette is to KEEP YOUR PHONE OFF. FOR REAL. Kudos to Patti.

In my own experience, at the show one week ago after Rose's Turn, naturally I came to my feet in order to give Patti her properly deserved ovation (I mean, HELL). Most of the audience was standing as well, I think. About 10 seconds before everyone began sitting down, the woman seated behind me viciously snapped, "SIT. DOWN." It was just awful, and made me feel nervous like I did something wrong. I still stood again for curtain call.

After the show my mom told the woman something like, "You have a hard edge. I wouldn't want to be on your bad side." I was wondering, WAS it wrong to stand? I was seated front row mezzanine on the right.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#121re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/13/08 at 9:26am

Most of the audience was standing as well, I think. About 10 seconds before everyone began sitting down, the woman seated behind me viciously snapped, "SIT. DOWN." It was just awful, and made me feel nervous like I did something wrong. I still stood again for curtain call.

The other night at a show (not Gypsy), I was seated in front of this very whiny man who was complaining the entire time (both acts) about how much he disliked the show and how the people who liked it had no taste. His wife kept saying to him, "Oh, Ira, enough! I'm enjoying it," and he kept insisting that musicals are supposed to be emotional and touching and this one wasn't. I didn't say anything, but the minute the curtain call began, I stood up immediately (something I don't normally do), just to annoy him. He gave me the dirtiest look as we were walking out, and I just smiled and said, "Great show, huh?"
Updated On: 7/13/08 at 09:26 AM

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#122re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/13/08 at 9:49am

I was in the audience at a performance by Dame Judi Dench when she stopped the show and asked for the person on his mobile to 'conclude the call and when your done I'll conclude my award winning performance for the other 1000 here who paid hard earned money to see it'- apart from the time Rita Moreno forgot her words in 'Sunset Blvd'- that was the most embarrassing time i can remember in the theatre! General word later was that the Dame went too far!!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

NuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
#123re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/13/08 at 10:24am

Adamgreer, what show was it?

That Dench story is priceless. Love that sass.

Vary My Days.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#124re: Patti did some LuPwning of her own tonight
Posted: 7/13/08 at 11:27am

Bet anything it
was Spring Awakening!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Videos