• Audra McDonald - Ohio State Murders
  • Laura Linney - Summer, 1976
  • Jodie Comer - Prima Facie

Thoughts??

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#126WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/29/22 at 12:26am

I’d probably kick Adrianna Hicks to supporting and put Luna for KPOP in her place.

Granted, as the last few years have shown, categories can have 6 or 7 nominees 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
Updated On: 10/29/22 at 12:26 AM

Collingswood
#127WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/29/22 at 1:58pm

broadwayfan_7214 said: "The leading acting categories this year are very full so here are my thoughts

Best Leading Actor (Musical)

• Will Swenson - A Beautiful Noise
  • Brian D'Arcy James - Into The Woods
  • Christian Borle - Some Like It Hot
  • J Harrison Ghee - Some Like It Hot
  • Josh Groban - Sweeney Todd

I would definitely include Justin Cooley of Kimberly Akimbo.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#128WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/30/22 at 4:54am

>Best Leading Actor (Play)

• Wendall Pierce - Death of a Salesman
  • Corey Hawkins - Topdog/Underdog
  • Jefferson Mays - A Christmas Carol
  • Sean Hayes - Good Night, Oscar
  • Whoever plays Pi Patel - Life of Pi

I'd add Stephen McKinley Henderson for Between Riverside and Crazy to the mix. 

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Dollypop
#129WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/30/22 at 9:55am

I'll never understand how and why so many people on this site are obsessed with the Tony Awards.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#130WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/30/22 at 9:58am

Dollypop said: "I'll never understand how and why so many people on this site are obsessed with the Tony Awards."

I'll never understand how and why so many people on this site are obsessed with being jerks.

KevinKlawitter
#131WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/30/22 at 1:25pm

Dollypop said: "I'll never understand how and why so many people on this site are obsessed with the Tony Awards."

Well, I'm obsessed with the Tony awards because in addition to being a theatre nerd I'm also an Oscar buff, and media awards are addictive.

But seriously, not only is it fun to see artists you admire get recognized for their accomplishments, they also serve as a good historical benchmark for the art form. What is or isn't recognized tells you a lot about where the awards and society are at any given point, and how well they age tells you a lot about how society progresses.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#132WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/30/22 at 2:08pm

I feel like Betsy Wolfe is a strong contender for featured actress. It would definitely be a career win for her and she finally deserves the recognition.  

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 10/30/22 at 02:08 PM

Skye8
#133WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/30/22 at 2:12pm

[deleted]

Updated On: 10/30/22 at 02:12 PM

Jarethan
#134WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/30/22 at 2:26pm

I always enjoy reading this subject, although I think it is silly to forecast this early.  I see the comments re lead actress and all that I can think of is that it is only October.  I seem to recall a number of shows being announced in December / January and even February that managed to open in the same season.  It is possible that the rest of the season will be dry for dramas unless some box office attractions sigh-up, but it is really too early to assume there is a problem with filling up a category.

broadwayfan_7214
#135WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/31/22 at 12:13am

Collingswood said: "broadwayfan_7214 said: “ I would definitely include Justin Cooley of Kimberly Akimbo."

I would definitely consider Justin Cooley as featured and the only lead in Kimberly Akimbo is Victoria 

gubler1996
#136WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/31/22 at 9:13am

My only thought here is I don't think any of the Cost of Living folks will be campaigned in lead - Katy and Gregg were both up for supporting categories in the off-Broadway production a few years ago. 

ElephantLoveMedley
#137WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/31/22 at 9:18am

Call_me_jorge said: "I feel like Betsy Wolfe is a strong contender for featured actress. It would definitely be a career win for her and she finally deserves the recognition."

I think Featured Actress will come down to Wolfe and Milligan. Having seen both performances, I would solidly cast a ballot for Wolfe who I think is just utterly sensational as Anne Hathaway. But I do think it'll end up being a tight race between those two fabulous actresses.

BCfitasafiddle
#138WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/31/22 at 11:01am

Tony Nominee Betsy Wolfe sounds just so so right to me. Love her.

MadsonMelo
#139WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/31/22 at 11:33am

I think it's inevitable that Betsy and Bonnie will be the end point for Featured Actress in a Musical, maybe whoever plays the Stepmother also has a chance?

Phillipa Soo is a likely contender for a nom, but don't think for a win. There's Robyn Hurder, Solea Pfeiffer.

I think with the reception it's getting, ''& Juliet'' seems a sure fire contender for ''Best Musical'' alongside ''Kimberly Akimbo''.

hearthemsing22
#140WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/31/22 at 11:35am

Do we think Sara Bareilles has a chance? ITW will have closed at the beginning of the year so I don't know...

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#141WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/31/22 at 11:52am

God I hope Sara gets nominated!

As for the & Juliet/Kimberly Akimbo for Best Musical? It can go either way. There could be an upset. & Juliet is a London import with a big fanbase. Akimbo is a new musical that no one outside NYC knows much about. Kinda like the Wicked/Avenue Q

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#142WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/31/22 at 12:01pm

Seems like most of the recent evidence would point toward Kimberly Akimbo over & Juliet. They mostly go for the small Off-Broadway transfer these days. You could even say there's a close parallel to last year's race: [Kimberly / Strange Loop] vs. [& Juliet / Six]

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#143WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/31/22 at 12:04pm

I haven't seen the Broadway production yet, but after what I "saw" overseas, as of right now I think & Juliet has no chance to take home top honors. Jukebox musicals seem to be at an instant disadvantage for Best Musical (Moulin Rouge! had the benefit of a truncated season, and Jersey Boys was a fluke win in a weak season), and I just don't think Juliet lives up to the hype. Again, this opinion may change if I see this live in NY.

A Best Musical nom is a victory for this show. Give them noms for Costume Design, Orchestrations, Choreography, and maybe Set Design, and I'll say it was well-deserved.

Kimberly Akimbo just has to hold on to awards season and they should be fine. Easier said than done, though, especially in this current Broadway climate.

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 10/31/22 at 12:04 PM

MadsonMelo
#144WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/31/22 at 12:09pm

If ''Kimberly Akimbo'' can't sustain the open run till the Tonys, maybe '''& Juliet'' will have a chance. According to the NYT, ''MJ'' was THIS close to win the Tony over ''A Strange Loop'' and I believe it.

If voters from out of town come to the city, a deciding factor that made ''MJ'' lose, maybe a HIT jukebox musical with great reviews can win.

MadsonMelo
#145WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/31/22 at 12:10pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Do we think Sara Bareilles has a chance? ITW will have closed at the beginning of the year so I don't know..."

I think Sara, Gavin and Phillipa are very very likely to get noms, and then Patina also has a shot. People really loved Lester, but I don't see this happening.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#146WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/31/22 at 12:30pm

In recent years, voters have had to verify they’ve seen every show/performance before voting. And nominators, of course, see everything in order to nominate. So yes, that ITW trio has a very good possibility of getting nominated. I don’t see how they win against the Kimberly Akimbo trio (even if I’d love to see a Sara B win), but I think they will get their nominations. 

Jarethan
#147WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/31/22 at 5:42pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "God I hope Sara gets nominated!

As for the & Juliet/Kimberly Akimbo for Best Musical? It can go either way. There could be an upset. & Juliet is a London import with a big fanbase. Akimbo is a new musical that no one outside NYC knows much about. Kinda like the Wicked/Avenue Q
"

I liked KA much more than Avenue Q, which I actually didn't like.  I think your analogy goes a little far, however...I cannot believe that KA will ever have the pull / cachet that resulted in a lot of younger, non-theatregoers purchasing tickets, nor will it have the out-of-towner Tony voters thinking a vote for KA instead of X will result in two big revenue generators being on the road instead of 1, which was in play with Wicked/Avenue  (and, if I remember correctly, ended up being bogus when the producers went with a Las Vegas run rather than an immediate tour). 

I am certainly anxious to see the Some Like it Hot and NYNY reviews, and always hope that something will be announced for late in the season.  I cannot imagine that A Beautiful Noise or Almost famous will be in contention for best musical, and KA may be the 'little show that could.' entry, but it would have to be a really bad season for it to be a serious contender...it is just too slight.  I wasn't able to see &Juliet; but, if it is half as good as the feedback on this board, I would imagine it could be a serious contender (unless, of course, SKIH or NYNY end up becoming the next Wicked / BOM / Hamilton at the box office.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#148WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 10/31/22 at 7:33pm

Definitely way too early, but I think Bareilles is a lock for a nom.

broadwayfan_7214
#149WAY TOO EARLY 2023 Tony Award Predictions
Posted: 11/1/22 at 8:15am

I've said my thoughts on leading categories and hear are my thoughts on the featured.

Best Featured Actor (Musical)

• Paul Szot - & Juliet 
  • Whoever Plays Lancelot - Camelot
  • Gavin Creel - Into The Woods
  • Justin Cooley - Kimberly Akimbo
  • Whoever Plays Turpin or Tobias - Sweeney Todd

Best Featured Actor (Play)

• David Krumholtz - Leopoldstadt
  • Gregg Mozgala - Cost of Living
  • Andre De Sheilds - Death of a Salesman
  • Samuel L Jackson - The Piano Lesson
  • Common - Between Riverside and Crazy