pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 6

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#125SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 1:44pm

It's got to be something his agent negotiated. For some people, "understudy" is a "dirty word" (hence the use of "cover," etc.), and Christopher and/or his agent didn't want to use that term since he has moved "beyond" that. It's pretty silly.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#126SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 1:54pm

Keep in mind the Nick Chris language used in the press release might not be the official title for Broadway.

It’s not out of the ordinary to have 3 covers for a demanding principal role during Covid times, especially if they want to be sure the show always goes on without cancellation. Gives everyone some better peace of mind and puts less strain on the other covers.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#127SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 1:55pm

Once this show opens, it's playing 7 shows a week. That may be why there is no alternate for Josh as some people wondered about. 

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#128SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 3:38pm

I'll be very curious to see if Josh Groban is that big of a draw to make sense out of a 7 show week with a Sondheim show about murder and cannibalism. Only time will tell. 

BCfitasafiddle
#129SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 3:57pm

Raymond J. Lee will be covering Pirelli and Beadle.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#130SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 4:17pm

Bill Snibson said: "I'll be very curious to see if Josh Groban is that big of a draw to make sense out of a 7 show week with a Sondheim show about murder and cannibalism. Only time will tell."

Obviously anecdotal, but looking at the tickets on sale currently, it is selling really well. And that's without any real advertisement. Once they start dropping pro shots, I have a feeling this will be a very hot ticket, at least for as long as Groban is in the show.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#131SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 9:27pm

SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#132SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 9:28pm

Robbie2 said: "SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting"

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#133SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 9:29pm

Robbie2 said: "Robbie2 said: "SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting"

"

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#134SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 9:41pm

Bill Snibson said: "I'll be very curious to see if Josh Groban is that big of a draw to make sense out of a 7 show week with a Sondheim show about murder and cannibalism. Only time will tell."

I just don't understand the purpose of doing only 7 shows? Add an 8th performance with the standbys going on and make it somewhat affordable to see.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#135SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/5/23 at 10:22pm

ACL2006 said: "Bill Snibson said: "I'll be very curious to see if Josh Groban is that big of a draw to make sense out of a 7 show week with a Sondheim show about murder and cannibalism. Only time will tell."

I just don't understand the purpose of doing only 7 shows? Add an 8th performance with the standbys going on and make it somewhat affordable to see.
"

Although Sweeney Todd is beloved by musical theatre nerds like many of us here, this revival is probably mostly happening because Josh Groban wanted to do it and had the power to make it happen (just like with Great Comet). I have a feeling he’s calling a lot of the shots, and (understandably) had concerns about doing such a taxing role eight times a week, and was not willing to share the role a la Bette Midler in Hello Dolly. I have a feeling though that after the Tony Awards, they will add an 8th show and Nicolas Christopher will be bumped up to “alternate.” I agree there are enough Sondheim lovers out there who don’t care about Josh Groban to fill the theatre at least once a week.

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#136SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/6/23 at 12:19am

It actually reminds me of the "Sunset Blvd" revival with Glenn Close where they only did 7 shows a week and were always pulling in over a million dollars. I guess when it works it works. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#137SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/6/23 at 2:30am

I believe Hennessy Winkler will be the first trans-man on Broadway?

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#138SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/6/23 at 9:01am

So happy for Dwayne Cooper! (aka Milan from Rupaul's Drag Race).

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#139SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/6/23 at 9:47am

Odd they are going from 8 performances in previews to 7 performances post-opening. I was hoping that Nicholas Christopher would get a scheduled performance as Sweeney, as I'd really like to see him.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

JasonC3
#140SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/6/23 at 10:20am

It will be interesting to see how sales perform over time. 

While certainly not apples-apples in terms of casting, the 2005 Doyle revival looks like it did fairly well during the first half of its run and then dropped quite a bit in the second half. 

The fact that it ran for 349 performances isn't bad though. FWIW, I loved it and saw it three times.  Cerveris remains one of my favorite Sweeneys.

tacotheatrelover Profile Photo
tacotheatrelover
#141SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/6/23 at 9:07pm

Hennesy Winkler is in this!? Welp... my wallet is now dead :/

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#142SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/6/23 at 9:42pm

JasonC3 said: "It will be interesting to see how sales perform over time. While certainly not apples-apples in terms of casting, the 2005 Doyle revival looks like it did fairly well during the first half of its run and then dropped quite a bit in the second half. The fact that it ran for 349 performances isn't bad though."

That revival recouped in 19 weeks. An extreme rarity –– then and now –– for a Sondheim musical. The Kail production will be much bigger & more expensive.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#143SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/7/23 at 1:47pm

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#144SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/7/23 at 1:47pm

Robbie2 said: "SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting"

FANtomFollies
#145SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/7/23 at 3:38pm

I would love them to do actor/character banners on the exterior like they did for Addams Family.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#146SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/7/23 at 6:31pm

Am I misremembering, or did Groban have some spotty attendance in GREAT COMET (aside from pre-scheduled outs)? For some reason that sticks in my mind but I could be thinking of something else.

It may be that performances are added later after assessing stamina in previews. Maybe Groban does 8 perfs every other week, for example. Or maybe they add a standby performance. Or maybe they do none of that.

I do wonder how much Tony strategy could factor in there. If the standby ends up being "better" than the principal in the court of public opinion. (i.e. Donna did not start doing Tuesday nights at Dolly until post-Tonys, but that show was a very unique situation).

Hairspray0901
#147SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/7/23 at 7:24pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Am I misremembering, or did Groban have some spotty attendance in GREAT COMET (aside from pre-scheduled outs)? For some reason that sticks in my mind but I could be thinking of something else."

I can’t speak for his entire run but when I went he was unfortunately out. Since we had already paid to get into the city, we decided to see the show anyway. 

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#148SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/8/23 at 5:54pm

I feel like I haven’t seen anyone discussing this??

“The revival will feature Jonathan Tunick's full, 26-piece orchestration for the first time on Broadway since the original production, under the baton of three-time Tony winner Alex Lacamoire.”

https://playbill.com/article/cast-complete-for-broadway-revival-of-sweeney-todd-starring-josh-groban-and-annaleigh-ashford

The music is going to sound INCREDIBLE! 

FANtomFollies
#149SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 1/8/23 at 6:08pm

Luminaire2 said: "I feel like I haven’t seen anyone discussing this??

“The revival will feature Jonathan Tunick's full, 26-piece orchestration for the first time on Broadway since the original production, under the baton of three-time Tony winnerAlex Lacamoire.”

https://playbill.com/article/cast-complete-for-broadway-revival-of-sweeney-todd-starring-josh-groban-and-annaleigh-ashford

The music is going to sound INCREDIBLE!

"

It's been discussed at length in the original Groban-Sweeney thread :)

Videos