pixeltracker

Chavkin-directed GATSBY musical from Welch and Majok to premiere in 2024- Page 6

Chavkin-directed GATSBY musical from Welch and Majok to premiere in 2024

DaveyG
#125Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/10/24 at 10:25am

cdf1983 said: "DaveyG said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Now that rehearsals have started, the Oracle has effectively confirmed that Isaac Powell is Jay Gatsby, Ben Levi Ross isNick, and Australian newcomer Charlotte MacInnes has been cast as Daisy, with Solea Pfeiffer presumed to be playing Myrtle."

Let's not give the "Oracle" any credit. He's been constantlywrong about casting for this production over the last few months. Now that there's a publicly available picture of the cast watching the eclipse on a break from their 1st rehearsal, he scours the photo and acts as though he has a scoop. Nonsense.
"

Now, how do you feel knowing he was, once again, correct?
"

Well, here's him confidently announcing casting for Daisy. Both wrong. Judge for yourself.

https://www.tiktok.com/@sweatyoracle/video/7297467599175142699

https://www.tiktok.com/@sweatyoracle/video/7343098962754145579

My issue isn't with him reporting gossip - that's totally fine. But he sometimes attacks working professionals in a way that I think crosses the line. That's my opinion. And I think it's irresponsible when legit press like Rolling Stone and Forbes give him a platform. 

hearthemsing22
#126Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/10/24 at 10:31am

DaveyG said: "cdf1983 said: "DaveyG said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Now that rehearsals have started, the Oracle has effectively confirmed that Isaac Powell is Jay Gatsby, Ben Levi Ross isNick, and Australian newcomer Charlotte MacInnes has been cast as Daisy, with Solea Pfeiffer presumed to be playing Myrtle."

Let's not give the "Oracle" any credit. He's been constantlywrong about casting for this production over the last few months. Now that there's a publicly available picture of the cast watching the eclipse on a break from their 1st rehearsal, he scours the photo and acts as though he has a scoop. Nonsense.
"

"

Well, here's him confidently announcing casting for Daisy. Both wrong. Judge for yourself.

My issue isn't with him reporting gossip - that's totally fine. But he sometimesattacks working professionals in a way that I think crosses the line. That's myopinion. And Ithink it's irresponsiblewhenlegit press like Rolling Stone and Forbes give him a platform.
"

Agreed- taking it as gossip is fine. Using him to say you know official casting news is not. He's not an all-knowing being. It's rumors and speculation until things are officially announced. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#127Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/10/24 at 10:55am

The cast for this for this looks young, model beautiful and rather vacant. Which is very much the book. My hunch is that this adaptation will be dark, cynical, more faithful to the tone of the novel and not very commercial.  Has anyone heard anything of the score? I've become rather dubious of people from the pop world writing musically tuneful musical theatre scores that actually further the plot.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

copskid949 Profile Photo
copskid949
#128Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/10/24 at 11:41am

DaveyG said: "cdf1983 said: "DaveyG said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Now that rehearsals have started, the Oracle has effectively confirmed that Isaac Powell is Jay Gatsby, Ben Levi Ross isNick, and Australian newcomer Charlotte MacInnes has been cast as Daisy, with Solea Pfeiffer presumed to be playing Myrtle."

"

"

My issue isn't with him reporting gossip - that's totally fine. But he sometimesattacks working professionals in a way that I think crosses the line. That's myopinion. And Ithink it's irresponsiblewhenlegit press like Rolling Stone and Forbes give him a platform.
"

I mean… he only provides a platform for news to leak. It’s the responsibility of those who send info to realize that anything credible will be said publicly. And it’s highly possible based on his track record, especially now that he has put forward a correct casting before anyone else, that those wrong Daisy’s were once true. It’s also highly possible he was blowing smoke, but at some point the correct info was sent his way.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#129Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/10/24 at 12:05pm

There has reportedly been drama behind the scenes in casting this production, with reports of offers being both turned down and rescinded.  Its possible the cast we see announced today is not the cast anticipated a few weeks ago.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

GottaGetAGimmick420
#130Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/10/24 at 12:12pm

QueenAlice said: "There has reportedly been drama behind the scenes in casting this production, with reports of offers being both turned down and rescinded. Its possible the cast we see announced today is not the cast anticipated a few weeks ago."

I thought as much. The meme ART posted last night + the insta pic from the marketing co makes me think they pushed their hands on this. If Eleri and the others weren't tagged I don't think it would've been a problem.

I'm just here so I don't get fined

hearthemsing22
#131Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/10/24 at 12:15pm

copskid949 said: "DaveyG said: "cdf1983 said: "DaveyG said: "TaffyDavenport said: "Now that rehearsals have started, the Oracle has effectively confirmed that Isaac Powell is Jay Gatsby, Ben Levi Ross isNick, and Australian newcomer Charlotte MacInnes has been cast as Daisy, with Solea Pfeiffer presumed to be playing Myrtle."

"

"

"

I mean…he only provides a platform for news to leak. It’s the responsibility of those who send info to realize that anything credible will be said publicly. And it’s highly possible based on his track record, especially now that he has put forward a correct casting before anyone else, that those wrong Daisy’s were once true. It’s also highly possible he was blowing smoke, but at some point the correct info was sent his way.
"

But why does it matter? Why are people so desperate to be like "I knew this first" before news is made public? Why do we need leaks? Is it that difficult to be patient for an official announcement? 

luisacontini
#132Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/10/24 at 1:41pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "I can’t wait to see/read the inevitable interview with Maya Sistruck, who has worked on both Gatsbies!"

Oh me too!

I've been following her on social media since Paper Mill and was wondering why she wasn't in the casting announcement for the Broadway transfer, and now we know why. Such a talent!

cdf1983 Profile Photo
cdf1983
#133Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/10/24 at 3:22pm

QueenAlice said: "The cast for this for this looks young, model beautiful and rather vacant. Which is very much the book. My hunch is that this adaptation will be dark, cynical, more faithful to the tone of the novel and not very commercial. Has anyone heard anything of the score? I've become rather dubious of people from the pop world writing musically tuneful musical theatre scores that actually further the plot."

The music is incredible, in my opinion. Of course the things I hypothetically heard may have changed, but it’s very much a non-mt sound but it’s *so* gorgeous!

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#134Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/10/24 at 3:27pm

DaveyG said: "My issue isn't with him reporting gossip - that's totally fine. But he sometimes attacks working professionals in a way that I think crosses the line."

Pointing out problems with the system is never crossing the line.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#135Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/10/24 at 3:31pm

I am a fan of The SweatyOracle, and I will say I'd rather have him be wrong, then have a thread on here full of people who comment they know information, but will never give out the information when ask? Why do you need the ego boost to gloat? Don't tease me. We aren't 5 years old. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

barcelona20
#136Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/10/24 at 3:46pm

The music is incredible, in my opinion. Of course the things I hypothetically heard may have changed, but it’s very much a non-mt sound but it’s *so* gorgeous!"

Hope you're right! It's what I'm looking forward to the most with this production. Had no idea who Thomas Bartlett was until recently, but very excited to hear what he and Florence have come up with!

hearthemsing22
#137Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/10/24 at 4:10pm

fashionguru_23 said: "I am a fan of The SweatyOracle, and I will say I'd rather have him be wrong, then have a thread on here full of people who comment they know information, but will never give out the information when ask? Why do you need the ego boost to gloat?Don't tease me. We aren't 5 years old."

Can not even begin to explain how much this annoys me. I get that people are excited about casting, but why tease people when you can't say anything? It's so obnoxious and then people are like "I knew it!" when the casting is announced, or they say "a surprise to no one" Um. Not everyone has stalker tendencies like you. Not everyone follows actors every second of every day. Like- shut up. It's annoying when they tease like that 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#138Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/10/24 at 5:55pm

hearthemsing22 said: "fashionguru_23 said: "I am a fan of The SweatyOracle, and I will say I'd rather have him be wrong, then have a thread on here full of people who comment they know information, but will never give out the information when ask? Why do you need the ego boost to gloat?Don't tease me. We aren't 5 years old."

Can not even begin to explain how much this annoys me. I get that people are excited about casting, but why tease people when you can't say anything? It's so obnoxious and then people are like "I knew it!" when the casting is announced, or they say "a surprise to no one" Um. Not everyone has stalker tendencies like you. Not everyone follows actors every second of every day. Like- shut up.

It's annoying when they tease like that"

It's annoying when you post.

VintageSnarker
#139Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/10/24 at 7:04pm

cdf1983 said: "I’m curious… why does that confuse you and how is it a big departure from the book?"

Gatsby is supposed to be young but he has to pass for someone who has lived a lot of lives... farmer, sailor, soldier, bootlegger. It's been years since I've read the book though and the only physical description I can find with a quick google is "His tanned skin was drawn attractively tight on his face and his short hair looked as though it were trimmed every day."

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#140Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/10/24 at 7:27pm

Isaac Powell was absolutely magnetic in both Once On This Island and in West Side Story, though he did read super-young back then in 2018/2020. Apparently he's now 29 or 30--still young for Gatsby, but I'm absolutely intrigued with what he might bring to the role.

cdf1983 Profile Photo
cdf1983
#141Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/11/24 at 1:22am

Someone in a Tree2 said: "Isaac Powell wasabsolutely magnetic in both Once OnThis Island and in West Side Story, though he did read super-young back thenin 2018/2020. Apparently he's now 29 or 30--still young for Gatsby, but I'm absolutely intrigued with what he might bring to the role."

Isaac (29) is closer to the age of Gatsby (32) than Jeremy Jordan (39) is. Neither of the Gatsby’s are really sticking with book accurate descriptions of character and that’s okay cause ✨theatre.✨ I’m super excited to see what Isaac brings because that man is beyond charming. 

copskid949 Profile Photo
copskid949
#142Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/11/24 at 6:50pm

g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "DaveyG said: "My issue isn't with him reporting gossip - that's totally fine. But he sometimes attacks working professionals in a way that I think crosses the line."

Pointing out problems with the system is never crossing the line.
"

This right here is the appeal. I think there really is no point to leaking casting info early. But the fact that this platform not only exists, but thrives, should scare producers who choose to screw over the people who work for them. Think of the closing announcements he has made. Strange Loop learned to seek other work from him. A shocking amount of people involved with My Son’s A Queer were only told in a timely manner because of him. Here Lies Love was a bit of a misfire, but that prompt came from within the cast in an effort to save the show.

The “Broadway tea” leaked by the Oracle serves a greater purpose. No information is sacred in our current system, and decent transparency is unfortunately at the point where it must be demanded.

Updated On: 4/11/24 at 06:50 PM

theatergoer3
#143Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/12/24 at 9:57am

New interview highlights with Ben Levi Ross - 

https://www.culturedmag.com/article/2024/04/11/actor-musician-ben-ross

Adaptation spoilers below - 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Hamilton: What’s Nick like? I haven’t brushed up on Gatsby in years.

Ross: Nick is a character that’s been interpreted in a few different ways over the years. Something that really excited me about our production, is that from the beginning the creative team wanted to portray Nick as a gay man who is at a turning point in his life—leaving the war, leaving his twenties, searching for purpose, safety, love, and excitement. I’m just at the tip of my exploration now, and it’s already been really thrilling. 

hearthemsing22
#144Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/12/24 at 11:06am

ah. This will be the woke production that older audiences might have issues with 

theatergoer3 said: "New interview highlights with Ben Levi Ross -

https://www.culturedmag.com/article/2024/04/11/actor-musician-ben-ross

Adaptation spoilers below -

Hamilton:What’s Nick like? I haven’t brushed up onGatsbyin years.

Ross:Nick is a character that’s been interpreted in a few different ways over the years. Something that really excited me about our production, is that from the beginning the creative team wanted to portray Nick as a gay man who is at a turning point in his life—leaving the war, leaving his twenties, searching for purpose, safety, love, and excitement. I’m just at the tip of my exploration now, and it’s already been really thrilling.

"

theatergoer3
#145Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/12/24 at 11:19am

Already quite different from Paper Mill’s. 

I never remembered there being an explicit romance between Jordan and Nick and while I liked their arc, the romance part did feel out of left field. 

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#146Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/12/24 at 11:30am

I re-read the novel a few months ago, and this take on Nick is not really much of a stretch. I just checked Wikipedia and it looks like the question of Nick's sexuality has been discussed for many years.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#147Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/12/24 at 11:37am

Nick is just enough of a cypher that a lot of interpretations can be read of his character. His fixation on Gatsby and indifference toward Jordan even when they are implied to be going on dates or seeing each other has been a topic of discussion for decades. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#148Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/12/24 at 11:45am

hearthemsing22 said: "

ah. This will be the woke production that older audiences might have issues with

"

Yeah, mass numbers of ticketbuyers have had so many problems with those flop shows with "woke" subplots like Come From Away, The Producers, Juliet, Kinky Boots, Mormon, Billy Elliot, Spring Awakening, and Color Purple.

Get a grip.

That character has always had a great deal of gay subtext depending on how you read it, so it's hardly a revolutionary idea in this production. By that same metric, it's not really a surprise that the Korean-money-backed production doesn't have overt homosexuality.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#149Welch’s GATSBY to premiere in 2024
Posted: 4/12/24 at 11:49am

Kad said: "Nick is just enough of a cypher that a lot of interpretations can be read of his character. His fixation on Gatsby and indifference toward Jordan even when they are implied to be going on dates or seeing each other has been a topic of discussion for decades."

That people were capable of misreading literature decades ago doesn't make their interpretations any more valid. He isn't "fixed" on Gatsby. He's often rather repelled by him, but Gatsby is a mystery to him, as he is to us, which is why he continues to associate with him, which is why readers keep reading until they've finished the book. Jordon is a dislikable person, and Nick is telling us the story after the fact. That's why he uses the tone in describing their relationship that he does.

Videos