#151On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/18/15 at 10:30am

I LOVE LOVE the show curtain for this!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Theatrical Landladies Profile Photo
Theatrical Landladies
#152On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/18/15 at 10:35am

Great picture of a great show cloth! Thank you JACOBSNCHZ14. Can't wait to see more!

"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#153On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/18/15 at 10:58am

The curtain isn't even fabric or a drape, I don't think. It's very detailed from close up shots:

Theatrical Landladies Profile Photo
Theatrical Landladies
#154On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/18/15 at 11:45am

Wonderful ^^^^^^

"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#155On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/18/15 at 3:10pm

My favorite line in the show is when Oscar refers to Oliver and Owen as "Judas Iscariot and his sister Sue". It always cracks me up.

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#156On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/18/15 at 6:32pm

I'm very excited to see this show next month.

atuomala Profile Photo
atuomala
#157On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/18/15 at 9:59pm

It's a good show. Everyone is hilarious and I love the addition of the tap-dancing porters. Every one really got a kick out of them in the intro and at the rise of Act II.

"Mostly, I loved the size of these people's emotions. Nobody has emotions this size anymore. Outsized emotions. Operatic emotions. Kushemski and Vanda are like Tristan and Isolde, they're Paolo and Francesca. Nobody's in total thrall like this anymore. Nobody's overcome by passion like this, or goes through this kind of rage." Thomas, Venus in Fur

ChairinMain Profile Photo
ChairinMain
#158On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/19/15 at 4:48am

Does Ben Crawford have anything to do in this? I know he's covering both leading men. Also how is Jim Walton as the Conductor?

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#159On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/19/15 at 10:26am

The tap dancing porters were in the original.

Featured in the commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7En6FlZGvk

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

rjm516
#160On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/19/15 at 3:14pm

Has anyone sat in HipTix seats yet (the crappy back side mezz seats)? I got tix for May and am hoping they aren't too bad.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#161On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/19/15 at 4:06pm

Wait - did I miss something, or has Whizzer not seen this yet?

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#162On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/19/15 at 4:20pm

Can anyone share the best way to get tickets for this? I'm willing to splurge to see it super close (I love Cheno and this will be my first time seeing her on a Broadway stage and not in a concert hall). I know people are saying Hiptix are giving out side orch. and mez? Has anyone used TKTS?

BroadwayBaby6 Profile Photo
BroadwayBaby6
#163On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/19/15 at 6:30pm

Kristi Dawn was born to play Lily Garland. I told her that and I'm sure so did 500 other theatre queens.

About 10 years ago Cheno and Sills were announced to do OTTC in LA but due to political machinations, the show starred Carolee Carmello and Bob Gunton (both of whom were excellent BTW).

Cheno will not get a TONY however. This is Chita's year even if Kelli and Cheno give bravura performances.

"It does what a musical is supposed to do; it takes you to another world. And it gives you a little tune to carry in your head. Something to take you away from the dreary horrors of the real world. A little something for when you're feeling blue. You know?"

rcwr Profile Photo
rcwr
#164On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/19/15 at 6:32pm

BroadwayBaby6, thank you for that LA info -- I am always glad to learn more about Carolee Carmello's career and I hadn't known that.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#165On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/19/15 at 11:44pm

I love how that commercial is footage of Kahn but makes sure to state that the show stars Judy Kaye.

It's really a great ad though! Captures the madcap quality well. I wonder how the revival's ads will be?

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#166On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 12:26am

I believe Hiptix for this are only in the mezzanine. Also curious as to if anyone has sat in those seats yet… any preference for location? Not many options, for all things considered. Seems mostly side mezzanine row E-F house right.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#167On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 2:26am

OTTC will get a Tony nomination for best musical revival.
What a delightful Comden-Green & Coleman score classic Broadway at its best but the orchestra sounds tinny compared to the OBC album. Why does Roundabout ALWAYS have small orchestras playing their musicals?
Honeymoon in Vegas only has 14 in the orchestra and they rock the house sounding like a 28 piece orchestra!
It's a first class revival that glistens...smooth & glossy, fast paced & funny, solid cast...elegantly designed with gorgeous costumes.
Sexy Andy Karl is a highlight and looks dashing...he will land a tony nomination as well as Cheno, she was born to play Lily and is FABulous but won't win it!
Pretty much filled theater but many scattered seats available.
Surprised that tickets are not selling out with Chenoweth involved.
I found the bar-railing row to row in the mezzanine a bit distracting and terribly ugly as it's in front of each and every row.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 2/20/15 at 02:26 AM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#168On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 7:57am

Hi newintown- I just saw this last night, actually. When they canceled the first preview my schedule got all out of sorts. My thoughts are a little scattered; there's plenty to like (love even), but there things holding this production back too.

Sadly the night starts out with a disappointment, and one this production will never be able to overcome. The overture begins and the orchestra of 13 is just too thin for this score. I have to hand it to Larry Hochman for maximizing what he has to work with, but even the greatest magician can't turn a string quartet into a symphony. Plus, it's not even the full overture! The Our Private World section has been cut.

My ear adjusted to the smaller sound, but especially during the big ensemble numbers/reprises of the title song the bigger sound was sorely missed. It really makes you appreciate when we treated to full orchestras in other revivals or Encores.

Luckily the leading lady is more than up to the task of anchoring the show. Chenoweth is smashing, both vocally and in her acting choices. The difference between her performance here and in Promises, Promises is quite stark. She is totally at ease, relishing every trill and bit of physical comedy. Veronique, Never, I've Got It All, her portion of the Sextet and Babette were all A+ in my book.

Peter Gallagher doesn't quite match Chenoweth's perfection, but he acquits himself well enough. I enjoyed his characterization, but vocally he sounded a little tired. This was most evident in Our Private World. He has also been robbed of the 11 O'Clock number he deserves- The Legacy. The new song is fine, but The Legacy is so hysterical and has the potential to be a showstopper. Now it's just another song.

Mary Louise Wilson is a gem. Loved Repent and her antics during She's a Nut.

Andy Karl was fine, but sadly I can't say he made much of an impression. Maybe he'll be able to find more the comedy during previews.

I enjoyed McGrath and Linn-Baker.

The biggest thing for them to work on during previews is honing in on the style of the piece. The score is a spoof of operetta, and sometimes this production lacking that quality. Our Private World should have an element of being a spoof of something like Strange Music from Song of Norway. Right now it's missing.

The set is nice and the costumes are lovely.

Overall it made for an enjoyable evening (my favorite musical revival so far this season). Hopefully they work on capturing the style during previews, but it's definitely worth the price of admission for Chenoweth's performance.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

rjm516
#169On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 8:51am

Do people who saw it think it's a decent show to bring parents/older people to who don't really get to Broadway? I would rather bring mine to The King & I but tix are too expensive and with OTTC you can bring guests of any age with Hiptix. So it's the best deal that way. But am I missing a better option (that's not too pricey)?

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#170On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 9:01am

Thanks, Whizzer, for the as-always articulate evaluation.

I'm more and more disappointed by the choice to reduce the orchestrations for this show, which is, as you note, a valentine to operetta. Coleman's work has inspired great work from the best orchestrators, and it's a shame (at least to those of us who care about orchestration, few though we might be) to jettison them merely to economize. (But then, when did the Roundabout not do this? Have they ever used the full orchestrations for any revival? Cabaret is the one example I can think of where the new orchestrations were actually good.)

I don't understand why "The Legacy," Oscar's 11:00 number, has been eviscerated. Did this team think there was something wrong with it? I thought it worked before...

VintageSnarker
#171On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 9:09am

"This is Chita's year even if Kelli and Cheno give bravura performances."

At this rate Kelli's going to end up a Julie Andrews. Or God forbid, a Susan Lucci.

rjm516, I've only listened to the OBC album but I'd say it isn't as easy a sell as The King and I. It really depends on your parents' taste. Try listening to some of the album yourself. It's available on Spotify. You'd be a better judge of whether they'd like it than any of us would.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#172On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 9:15am

I have no idea why The Legacy is gone. It is indeed the true 11 O'Clock number (not Babette) and it deprives Oscar/Gallagher of a real showcase moment.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#173On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 9:20am

Someone mentioned that they had just changed the lyric to The Legacy.

Is the music different as well?

And what a shame. It's one of the great songs.

....but the world goes 'round

PJPan
#174On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 9:23am

I had Hiptix seats in the rear mezz, row E on far house right. Amazing view, didn't miss a thing.

This show, which I admit I knew little about besides that Madeline Kahn & John Cullum had been in it, was just such a joy. The entire cast gave it full tilt and did not disappoint.

Videos