pixeltracker

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway- Page 7

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway

nasty_khakis
#150ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 5/11/17 at 12:25pm

EthelMae said: "I loved this show. PLEASE don't do it in street clothes or cut Mama Will Provide or reduce it to a cast of three or any other stripped down ideas!

Looking forward.
"

Productions have cut that song? Why???

BakerWilliams Profile Photo
BakerWilliams
#151ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 5/11/17 at 12:31pm

EthelMae is referring to the Pacific Overtures that cut "Chrysanthemum Tea"

"In memory, everything happens to music"

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#152ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 5/11/17 at 12:37pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Nikki M. James will be the assistant director! I can't wait to see what Arden and James envision. https://www.ibdb.com/broadway-cast-staff/nikki-m-james-82575

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#153ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 5/11/17 at 12:56pm

Got tickets for the preview for me and my friend! Thank you $89 tixs! Woo hoo!

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#154ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 5/11/17 at 2:55pm

Telecharge is showing tickets available for a 3:00 performance on December 3rd. Anyone know if that's the official opening, or if there's another show that night that they're just not selling? Looks like Sundays are inconsistent, so I can't tell... some have two shows, some have one. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#155ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 5/11/17 at 4:12pm

In the December schedule it looks like they have a 730pm Sunday performance missing on dec 3... so perhaps that's when the opening is?

JudyDenmark
#156ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 5/11/17 at 5:27pm

That's what I thought... but there are 7:30 shows missing from other Sundays, and it seems weird to me that they'd do a 2-show day on opening night. Would love to somehow get confirmation on this, as I would love to buy a ticket for the actual opening if possible! 

leighmiserables  Profile Photo
leighmiserables
#157ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 5/11/17 at 5:31pm

Apologies for the ignorance here – but I'm noticing a bit of disdain for Michael Arden on this thread, and I'm wondering what that's about? I thought Spring Awakening was brilliant, but that's just my personal opinion of course. I'm just curious as to what people's beef with him is. 

JSquared2
#158ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 5/11/17 at 5:39pm

leighmiserables said: "Apologies for the ignorance here – but I'm noticing a bit of disdain for Michael Arden on this thread, and I'm wondering what that's about? I thought Spring Awakening was brilliant, but that's just my personal opinion of course. I'm just curious as to what people's beef with him is. "

The only disdain I'm seeing is for Ken Bialystock (I mean Davenport).

newsie20841
#159ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 5/11/17 at 5:40pm

BroadwayBeebe said: "I can't seem to find any floor seats in the entire run on telecharge. Anyone have any luck?

Are these seats actuallysold out or are they just not for sale yet?  Telecharge doesn't even give you the option of searching only for the floor seats.  Was anyone able to purchase floor seats yet?

"

JudyDenmark
#160ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 5/11/17 at 5:46pm

leighmiserables said: "Apologies for the ignorance here – but I'm noticing a bit of disdain for Michael Arden on this thread, and I'm wondering what that's about? I thought Spring Awakening was brilliant, but that's just my personal opinion of course. I'm just curious as to what people's beef with him is."

I think a lot of the bitterness is from the Kickstarter he did at last year's Tonys. When Spring Awakening was nominated, he started a Kickstarter to get them to perform (since it costs a lot of money to perform), and people here started noticing that the end date of the campaign was like the day before the Tonys, well after the show would've been set and rehearsed. Really fishy and deceptive, because the details of the Kickstarter stated that the donations would determine whether or not they could perform. Essentially he was asking fans for money for something that he was clearly willing to pay for anyway. I think most people loved the show (myself included), it's the dishonesty around that money-making ploy that people have beef with. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#161ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 5/11/17 at 9:46pm

are there floor seating at the theater for this production of Once on this Island? I recall for Fun Home they didnt' have any.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#162ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 5/12/17 at 9:33am

Could be they are using more of a proscenium set up, similar to spelling bee.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#163ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 5/12/17 at 11:36am

The $45 seats are now completely gone from the website. Maybe these were rush/lottery seats and they posted them by mistake?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#164ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 5/12/17 at 11:56am

The set up looks just like Fun Home (well, at least what I remember!)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

neonlightsxo
#165ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 5/12/17 at 12:01pm

JSquared2 said: "leighmiserables said: "Apologies for the ignorance here – but I'm noticing a bit of disdain for Michael Arden on this thread, and I'm wondering what that's about? I thought Spring Awakening was brilliant, but that's just my personal opinion of course. I'm just curious as to what people's beef with him is. "

The only disdain I'm seeing is for Ken Bialystock (I mean Davenport)."

Nice.

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#166ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 5/12/17 at 7:50pm

JudyDenmark said: "leighmiserables said: "Apologies for the ignorance here – but I'm noticing a bit of disdain for Michael Arden on this thread, and I'm wondering what that's about? I thought Spring Awakening was brilliant, but that's just my personal opinion of course. I'm just curious as to what people's beef with him is."

I think a lot of the bitterness is from the Kickstarter he did at last year's Tonys. When Spring Awakening was nominated, he started a Kickstarter to get them to perform (since it costs a lot of money to perform), and people here started noticing that the end date of the campaign was like the day before the Tonys, well after the show would've been set and rehearsed. Really fishy and deceptive, because the details of the Kickstarter stated that the donations would determine whether or not they could perform. Essentially he was asking fans for money for something that he was clearly willing to pay for anyway. I think most people loved the show (myself included), it's the dishonesty around that money-making ploy that people have beef with. 
"

In fairness to Michael Arden, it was Ken Davenport who was believed to be behind the Kickstarter controversy, not Arden. I'm not sure if Arden himself is particularly disliked, apart from the usual variances in opinion of any actor/director's work.

In other thoughts, I usually don't care which theatre Broadway shows go into (not getting to see them there anyway), but it does sound kinda apt for an 'Island' show to be staged in the round. Cautiously optimistic for this one.

JudyDenmark
#167ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 5/12/17 at 11:13pm

Fan123 said: "In fairness to Michael Arden, it was Ken Davenport who was believed to be behind the Kickstarter controversy, not Arden."

Ahhhhh you are so right and I am so wrong. Thank you! I totally had the wrong name in my head.

ElphabaGoodman
#168ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 6/25/17 at 7:37pm

Heard through the grapevine that a newcomer by then name of Hailey Kilgore will be playing Ti Moune this fall....

clip for reference: https://youtu.be/uhmkJoAgh9M

TexanAddams18
#169ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 6/25/17 at 8:10pm

Impressive, and that was 4 years ago.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#170ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 6/25/17 at 8:28pm

She's got a great voice, but really exceptional stage presence!  Happy for her.

Cfried
broadwayboy223
#172ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 12:43pm

What roles are they playing?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#173ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 1:03pm

If you scroll to the bottom of the bww article, the cast's bios are there along with their roles.  (took me a bit to notice it.

BUT...broadway.com article made it easy:

The upcoming Broadway revival of Once on This Island will feature Tony Award nominee Phillip Boykin as Tonton Julian, Alysha Deslorieux as Andrea, Kenita R. Miller as Mama Euralie and Isaac Powell as Daniel. The previously announced Broadway production will begin previews on November 9 and open on December 3 at the Circle in the Square Theatre.

I'm confused, though....isn't Andrea the woman that Daniel is engaged to?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#174ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/1/17 at 1:05pm

Boykin is Tonton Julian, Alysha D. is Andrea, and Kenita Miller is Mama Euralie

Videos