Black Glinda?

Ronald-Ann
#150re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 3:31am

I think any actress capable of the role could carry it off, regardless of race. I also don't think it would be too distracting for the audience to see a woman of color ridiculing Elphaba for being green, given the ethnic and racial diversity of the ensemble--to me, it conveys that other races and ethnicities exist in Oz, yet her green skin is still clearly an anomaly.

Even if the producers, director, etc., thought race might be an issue for audiences or others (or themselves, even), I think it could be worked in without being too "distracting," for lack of a better word. The storyline, in my mind, provides plenty of opportunity for it. One of the points made in Wicked is the extent to which history and facts can be distorted and spun into something completely different. As has been previously noted, the term "blonde" can refer to personality as much as hair color. Also, a big component of the rift between the two women is that Elphaba sees Galinda as selling out to achieve her popularity. Who's to say which aspects of Galinda might have been spun to have her better fit the mold/perception of the Wizard's ideal protege?

crp2000 Profile Photo
crp2000
#151re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 9:53am

They will (and have) cast a black woman in the role of Elphaba primarily because she wears green paint.
Don't hold your breath waiting on a black Glinda - it's just not gonna happen.

This thread is ridiculous - but fun.

Jon
#152re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 10:08am

I think Galinda is the ONLY role in the show that can't be played by a black performer. It would confuse the underlying theme of the show too much.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#153re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 10:16am

That's ridiculous. There is absolutely no reason she can't be played by a woman of ANY nationality - "ditzy-ness" is all about the acting...Period.

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#154re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 11:46am

Ah yes! I can see it all now. This is how it would go

GALINDA
My dearest, darlingest Momsie and Popsicle,

ELPHABA
My Dear Father,

BOTH
There's been some confusion over rooming here at Shiz

ELPHABA
But of course, I'll care for Nessa

GALINDA
But of course, I'll rise above it

BOTH
For I know that's how you'd want me to respond...
Yes, there's some confusion for you see my roommate is...

GALINDA
Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe

ELPHABA
...BLACK!!!

LOL..turns out Elphie's a little bit racist herself. Updated On: 2/2/05 at 11:46 AM

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#155re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:33pm

well, that's an improvement on the script already..

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#156re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 12:59pm

I think a lot of people are stuck on the archetype of the "bubbly, ditzy girl" as being white. For many people on here, I don't think they've ever seen the characteristics in a black woman(since that's what the discussion is about) the way it's been played by KC,JLT,etc. Which, is why I reiterate my post from before about watching vh1's Black in the 80's special. The 2nd part of the three part series comes on tonight. Even on bway, we havn't seen all the dementions of what actors of color can do.

Aditionally, In regard to if the writer describes the character's race or not. Sometimes the writer is open about race, but many of us writers feel that you have to be very disciptive. We put those things in there, when many parts are flexible. So, just because a writer specifies race doesn't mean it's etched in stone. <---I'm not talking about race-specific shows like Hairspray, Caroline, etc. Also, there have been many roles that have been written for actors of a certain race, and due to the quality/audition of another actor the role has been changed. Actors have fought for those types of roles.

munkustrap178, about this idea about AA's and calling out racism. It's far deeper/diffrent than you suspect. You can pm me for that discussion because, it's not going to be productive in continuing the dialogue about a black Glinda.

BWAYboi_yes Profile Photo
BWAYboi_yes
#157re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 1:00pm

some of you are just totally stupid. call me a racist, i don't care. a black glinda would never work for the very reasons mentioned by all the people that realized that in this post so far. i neednt argue any more, i'm right and youre all wrong. very wrong.

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#158re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 1:08pm

Girl, you just joined four days ago. Go some where and sit down!

Kris2 Profile Photo
Kris2
#159re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 1:10pm

Wow, this turned into a longasS thread.

The only thing I have to say about Glinda being white is that Glinda is meant to be a stereotype. Ya know, the Marilyn Monroe type or something, though obviously not quite the same. She's just popular and stuck up and ditzy at first. You just typically associate that dumb blond stereotype with a white girl. That's not saying the role can't ever be played by a black woman, but think about the nature and prejudices of show business and people in general. I'd be very very surprised if it was ever even a consideration of the producers to cast the role of Glinda with anyone who wasn't white. *edit: thetruth beat me to it!

Raggy Q Poo: But seriously, look at Avenue Q. Gary Coleman is a female in the musical and she isn't 'short' like the real 'male Gary Coleman.' Does she do a good job? Yes! And thats what counts!

Look at Christmas Eve- She is Asian but don't you think that anybody could play her role? It's called GOOD ACTING.

Are you kidding me? The humor in the casting of Natalie Belcon as Gary Coleman is because it's ridiculous and not what you expected at all. It's funny. Well, maybe not to Gary Coleman. But it's funny to just about everyone else. However, Christmas Eve as a non-Asian actress? Not cool, plus it doesn't make any sense since there is more than one reference to her being Asian - "Tried to work in Korean deli, but I am Japanese" or "How many Oriental wives have you got?" or "The term is Asian-American!" or "But calling me Oriental - offensive to me." I know that a white actress has understudied the role, but it's just not something I'd wanna see. I think I'd be slightly offended. Especially if they attempted a fake Asian accent. Good acting won't make it easier to swallow.

I know that Aida has been played by a half Puerto Rican half Caucasian woman. She has color and doesn't look white, but was still light skinned. In foreign productions of shows, sometimes they disregard race even though it may be a race specific role. Kim in Miss Saigon has been played by a white girl, etc. I'm not gonna debate whether it's right or wrong, but it does happen more often than we think. Updated On: 2/2/05 at 01:10 PM

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#160re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 2:49pm

Glinda is to black
Ti Moune is to white

Glinda is to black
as Dorothy (Wiz) is to white

Glinda is to black
as Caroline is to white

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.
Updated On: 2/2/05 at 02:49 PM

sweetxheart
#161re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 3:14pm

A black Glinda would sure be revolutionary . . . but I do have a problem with this.. Some roles that are typically black can be converted to be played as white, and vice verse . . . except I believe this role specifically calls for someone who is light-skinned and blonde. Its making fun of the typical highschool! The popular, dumb blonde. Also, blacks' voices tend to be stronger, heavier, sort of with a different color to them, that in my opinion would not be suitable for Glinda-- who is bubbly and has a sort-of light, free voice. That voice would DEFINITELY suit Elphaba tho. Call me niave, lol, I prob. am about this..

Spooky
#162re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 3:27pm

I thought this was going to be a thread about Star Jones dressed as Glinda on the View re: Black Glinda? Updated On: 2/2/05 at 03:27 PM

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#163re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 4:00pm

Fantasia was rumored to be Elphaba when Idina left.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#164re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 4:45pm

I just wanted to say The Wiz can be done with an all white cast. My H.S did it a few years ago. A large group of black people attended and were REALLLLLY into it. They loved it.

LilMiZBroADwaY23
#165re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 5:02pm

Stupid question...

Did anyone picture Star Jones in her Glinda costume when they saw this thread? Just... asking...

If it's Star Jones, whatever her other last name is, then no...

But I think if played by the appropriate person, with good acting skills, it's definitley possible. There is no racial specifications on this role. Plus it's such a cool role, people should be able to play her.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#166re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 7:16pm

I'm all for color-blind casting, and I would think it would be totally fine to have a black Glinda. It might be a little ridiculous having a black girl in a blonde wig, but that doesn't phase me. I would actually be more comfortable casting a black woman as Glinda than Elphaba, because I think it's too easy to cast a black woman as Elphaba. It kind of changes the dynamic of the show from being "different" to a racial thing, which is not what it's about. But I would love to hear a black woman sing that score.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#167re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 7:19pm

Justice's posts just get continuously more ignorant and uninformed...

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

kissmycookie Profile Photo
kissmycookie
#168re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 7:31pm

being ditzy is an aspect of nurture, not nature.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#169re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 7:38pm

Munk is sure one to talk...

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

munkustrap178
#170re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 7:40pm

Are you kidding me? Did you read my entire rants earlier on before you came on here and commented way after the fact?

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#171re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 8:31pm

There is nothing in my post that makes it "Ignorant and uninformed", but everything in your post that makes you negative and condescending...

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#172re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 8:32pm

Wait, wait, wait... can everyone just stop for a second and try to imagine a ghetto-fabulous Galinda with blonde hair extensions? Because that MIGHT be the funniest mental image I've ever gotten.

GALINDA (putting flower in Elphie's hair)
Ooh, girl. You fine.

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."

munkustrap178
#173re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 8:33pm

Well, that statement is half true - I was negative and condescending.

As I typed earlier in the thread, if you had read it, that Caroline is not the same as Glinda. If you cannot understand that, then there is no point to continue this conversation.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#174re: Black Glinda?
Posted: 2/2/05 at 8:41pm

Well, going through your posts, your ignorance is evident on certain levels. You do realise that when you categorize "African Americans" the way you do, you are excluding actresses such as Heather Headley, who considers herself a Haitian-American, and also Sidney Poitier, who is Jamaican American. I guess in your book, Heather could not play Caroline because she is not of the correct descent.

Videos