pixeltracker

Unpopular Opinions You Hold- Page 7

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

emilyfaye48 Profile Photo
emilyfaye48
#150re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 4/30/09 at 11:44am

I think Stephanie J. Block should win the Tony over Alice Ripley.

Without bread we'd just be hungry but without theatre we'd be dead

kyleorlando Profile Photo
kyleorlando
#151re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 4/30/09 at 12:13pm

I posted this on the earlier thread and I still feel the same way:

I think les Miserables is the most pompous, bloated, overrated show ever. I'm still waiting for someone to get motion sickness while spinning around on that turntable!

Oh - and I love her to death but Betty Buckley's voice makes my teeth ache.

Current Avatar: Me.
Current Saying: What do you mean it isn't enough being pretty? Have you seen my headshots?!?

kate86 Profile Photo
kate86
#152re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 4/30/09 at 12:22pm

i agree with emilyfaye48!

4-11-10 Wicked (Oberhausen) ~ 8-7-10 Promises, Promises ~ 8-8-10 Next to Normal ~ 8-12-10 Bway @Bryant Park ~ 8-15-10 Jersey Boys + Sing for the Cure ~ 8-18-10 American Idiot ~ 8-19-10 Wicked Divas (Murney/Mackey) in Saratoga Springs, NY ~ 8-21-10 Next to Normal ~ 8-23-10 Natalie Weiss @Birdland ~ 8-24-10 Wicked ~ 9-4-10 Wicked (Oberhausen)

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#153re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 4/30/09 at 12:41pm

I dislike when people here use initials for every show title longer than one word. This isn't a text message; you don't have a 160 character limit per post. It takes less effort to spell out the title the first time than it does to post again and explain what the hell "TCOC" is supposed to be.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#154re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 4/30/09 at 1:03pm

TOTC = A TALE OF TWO CITIES
SOML = THE STORY OF MY LIFE

"I think Stephanie J. Block should win the Tony over Alice Ripley."

Hopefully they won't be nominated in the same category.

jon2
#155re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 4/30/09 at 1:52pm

Straight play edition: I thought Mary Stuart was boring and shallow, and Janet McTeer just flailed around without creating a character; God of Carnage was kind of stupid and Marcia Gay Harden was miscast; and Geoffrey Rush didn't do much in the vulgar and not very intelligent production of Exit the King other than stumble around the stage.

bardolator
#156re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 4/30/09 at 1:59pm

I love Allison Janney, but I suspect that were she not a celebrity, it wouldn't be automatically assumed that she will qualify for the Tonys as lead while Block and Hilty are submitted as featured.

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#157re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 4/30/09 at 3:47pm

Half the people agree and half dont but The Billys should not win the tony. That said, Brian D'arcy James deserves one really soon but I don't know if I want him to be awarded for shrek.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

fbueller
#158re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 4/30/09 at 5:35pm

Patti LuPoine is WAAAAAYYYYYY overrated!

tis_be_sarah Profile Photo
tis_be_sarah
#159re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 4/30/09 at 5:48pm

I have no desire to see In The Heights.
I think [title of show] is one of the mose amazing things to every grace Broadway.

A million hearts beat quicker there, a million lights they flicker there. No clouds of grey on that great white way, thats the Broadway Melody!

#160re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/1/09 at 1:29am

In the Heights SUCKED!

Les Miz is a pretty crappy show but it has some nice moments.

I thought Sunday...George should have won Best Revival but I'm not suprised that it did not.

Doesn't understand what's so special about Rebecca Luker.

Regardless of your personal feelings toward Cats, there was a reason it ran for 18 years.

I think Billy Elliot is a crappy show.

That's it. it's late. I'm tired.

CONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
#161re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/1/09 at 4:58am

I loved rent.... but prefer Tick... Tick... BOOM!
I saw the infamous production of Rent Remixed 13 times in London and LOVED every performance.
I think Wicked is overrated... but I still adore it!
I think Jersey Boys is the worst thing to be ever seen on stage!
I hate ALW... but LOVE Evita!
Religious Musicals are the work of satan.
Stephan Sondhiem is one of the most boring composers EVER!
There is no such thing as a "Straight man who went to see Legally Blonde, because they enjoy it!"

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#162re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/1/09 at 5:07am

^ Haha. I have to say, I saw "Legally Blonde" but only because my mom bought tickets. I had no interest in going. But it was kind of fun.

I enjoyed the hell out of "Brooklyn the Musical" and saw it 5 times. It was a tight, well-done piece of very catchy tunes and explosive, powerful performances that spoke very acutely and intelligently to the times in which we live with great insight and humanity. Where the hell has Ramona Keller gone off to since this show?

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

crushgroove
#163re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/1/09 at 5:48am

I hate Carolee Carmello

Although she was once great, Liza sounds like crap now

I hate Les Miz, Phantom, and all those other grandiose musicals

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#164re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/1/09 at 6:27am

^ Crush, did you see Liza's At the Palace?

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

BwayBound2012 Profile Photo
BwayBound2012
#165re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/1/09 at 4:27pm

-love spring awakening
-hate legally blonde (just the musical, LOVE the movie)
- chicago the movie > the musical
- left during wonderful town tour intermission
- not really impressed with idina menzel
-love phantom of the opera
- hate disney musicals
- not a fan of shrek the musical
- very disappointed in billy elliot. love the movie much more.
-though i'd hate in the heights, but after my friend won an extra lottery ticket, i decided to go and i LOVED it.
-not a fan of the the new WSS revival, but the choreography is amazing.
- I LOVE HAIR.
- love julia murney.

Mattbrain
#166re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/1/09 at 6:45pm

I think Frank Wildhorn is a great composer.

Even though I see Next to Normal winning Best Score, I do not find the score of Billy Elliot as unmemmorable as people say it is.

Taboo did not deserve all of the bad press it got. I can't stop listening to the cast recording.

I still think Patti LuPone is amazing even after that whole incident with the guy taking pictures and her going nuts about it.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Colle
#167re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/1/09 at 6:46pm

I agree with the person who said they liked "Grease:You're the One that I Want." I enjoyed it, and I also liked "High School Musical:Get in the Picture," and hope that some of those kids have a future in musical theater.

This seems to be somewhat unpopluar here, but I think "Les Miserables" is one of the best musicals. Updated On: 5/1/09 at 06:46 PM

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#168re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/1/09 at 6:53pm

Bway_Bround: I can top that. I think "Shrek the Musical" is a downright atrocity. I have never hated a show until seeing this one.

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#169re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/1/09 at 8:05pm

Ted Neeley should be able to play Jesus until (and ONLY until) HE decides it's time to give up. Vocally, he's still got it, and he looks the part. Gave a remarkable performance in Providence.

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

PhantomPhan789 Profile Photo
PhantomPhan789
#170re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/1/09 at 11:41pm

-Spring Awakening was nothing special. I appreciated the performers and their work...but I left feeling no different than I did when I went in.

-Mary Poppins is the most enjoyable and experience I've ever had at a Broadway show. Ever.

-David Hyde Pierce deserved the Tony.

-I still love Cats and The Phantom of the Opera...even though I haven't listened to them in a very long time.

-Side Show made me want to do musical theatre. It's that good.

-I'm in no hurry to see Avenue Q.

-Johnny Depp was brilliant as Sweeney Todd.

"Get outta here Cheyenne Jackson!" - Mindy [title of show] show

Kasie Profile Photo
Kasie
#171re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/2/09 at 3:38am

I hate Kristin Chenoweth's voice.

A lot.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#172re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/2/09 at 4:47am

PhantomFan: I completely agree about "Spring Awakening." The younger generation's devotion to it rather annoys me - I find it extremely self-conscious and politically correct. As far as I'm concerned, the last thing this generation needs is a show about being MORE sexually open. I think a great many young women loved the show mostly because it gave them a safe thing to fantasize about (I.E. good looking, very unattainable leading men).

Christina  Cooper Profile Photo
Christina Cooper
#173re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/2/09 at 5:27am

Love Wicked (I still don't understand why everyone on this board hates Wicked's guts.. Guy's its at the top of the charts every week.. Obviously people like it)
Love Legally Blonde.. (Why did everyone hate it??)
I actually liked Cry Baby
I enjoy Phantom of the Opera
I like Idina Menzel, but Eden is better....
I don't like Mamma Mia.. its boring..
I don't understand all the hype over Billy Elliott and Spring Awakening

"It's terrible to have a house fall on you, it is, but accidents will happen"

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#174re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 5/2/09 at 5:45am

I do NOT think the BE boys should be nominated. They dance beautifully, sure, but singing and acting? Not really. The story and the emotion happen around them.

I can't wait to see SA on tour -- I kinda miss it. (But will get over it.)

I thought Curtains was absolute Drek.

I loved Mary Poppins.

I have very little interest in 9 to 5....and question if I will see it at all.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos