COVID Cancellations

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#1850COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/13/22 at 11:02am

I know what you mean by Doubtfire but I think the producer will try his best to bring it back. If anything, they may delay the reopening to sometime in April with the hopes it would get Tony nominations in early May to help with marketing.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1851COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/13/22 at 11:08am

Speaking to a friend (who is very close to higher ups at “Doubtfire” ), as of now they 100% plan to bring this back and this pause is not at all a “polite departure”. 

Updated On: 1/13/22 at 11:08 AM

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#1852COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/13/22 at 11:28am

As rehearsed, going on hiatus rather than closing for good has a substantial price tag to the producer. Kevin McCollum is not someone who throws away money especially not in the cause of being "polite."

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#1853COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/13/22 at 11:46am

They are banking on nabbing key Tony nominations, which will hopefully spike sales through the spring and into the summer. This is Kevin McCollum, who would certainly say he’s pulling the plug if he had to do so.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1854COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/13/22 at 11:52am

No way they're getting key Tony noms with those reviews.

The Broadway production of Doubtfire will reopen in the spring as expected, and close permanently in mid-August before the kids go back to school. Meanwhile, the show will open across the pond in Manchester in the fall (as previously announced), McCollum will announce a national tour beginning sometime in 2023, and it will sell extremely well based on the title alone.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh look, a bibu!

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#1855COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/13/22 at 12:19pm

Also, per my memory, nominations don’t tend to sell substantial numbers of tickets. As I recall, only wins in the big categories (mainly Best Musical and Best Revival of a Musical) tend to boost a show’s sales. The only way the Tony Awards might benefit a show is if their awards show performance impresses enough viewers to buy tickets. That doesn’t seem to happen very often though. I haven’t seen Doubtfire, but from reactions to it, it seems like it’s not going to win the big category so it’s only hope is an amazing performance on Tony Awards night. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1856COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/13/22 at 12:38pm

Geno Carr started his run with the Come From Away tour during their matinee yesterday. 

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 1/13/22 at 12:38 PM

JaredBway
#1857COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/13/22 at 3:07pm

We saw Hadestown on 1/7/2022, Friday, 8pm.  entire company was on.

yyys said: "what day of the week did you see Hadestown? matinee or evening?

JaredBway said: "I was very lucky on my trip, January 4-12, had 12 shows booked and all 12 went on, most with minimal understudies.

Kimberly Akimbo, one of the younger characters was out (Teresa)

Mrs. Doubtfire, KJ Hippensteel was on as Daniel/Mrs. Doubtfire, he was fantastic

Hamilton, u/s for Burr and one of the minor characters

Flying Over Sunset, Carmen was out, understudy blew me away, it was her first time on.

Winnie The Pooh, no casting info given at theatre

Hadestown, full cast

The Music Man, 2 minor characters out

Company, Larry was out

Caroline, or Change, full cast (closing show)

Little Shop of Horrors, jeremy's last show, minor character out (derelict)

Six, full cast

Moulin Rouge, alternate Satine, we knew in advance as it was a Tuesday

"

"

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1858COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/13/22 at 4:42pm

Looks like “Tina” is at TKTS. Is that a first?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#1859COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/13/22 at 4:45pm

I believe it's been on there since December 30th.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1860COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/16/22 at 1:26pm

Nice to see this thread slowing down. The Come From Away tour had members from five different companies go on this week while performing in Minneapolis. Not sure who from the Australian, UK and Toronto productions joined, but Happy McPartlin l, now COVID negative, was also flown in and played Bonnie this weekend.

https://twitter.com/CToyJ/status/1482569879219851264?t=NjrGGBzr99VLubejHneCyQ&s=19

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.
Updated On: 1/16/22 at 01:26 PM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#1861COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/16/22 at 1:40pm

No understudies at NORTH COUNTRY last night. They were celebrating on Instagram their 100th performance in addition to no absences.

Show is still glorious btw. MUST SEE (and my lotto was second row orchestra dead center)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#1862COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/16/22 at 3:12pm

quizking101 said: "No understudies at NORTH COUNTRY last night."

That's awesome, but how many in the audience?

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#1863COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/16/22 at 3:28pm

HogansHero said: "quizking101 said: "No understudies at NORTH COUNTRY last night."

That's awesome, but how many in the audience?
"

The Orchestra and Mezzanine each looked about 50-60% full. I think there were a lot of last minute purchases last night since the theatre had FAR more open seats when I looked online the day before.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

pagereynolds
#1864COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/16/22 at 4:46pm

NYTimes article about the Omicron affect on Broadway

The most popular shows are still packed, but not quite as tough to get into as they were: Last week, there were seats available even at the industry’s most in-demand shows, including “Hamilton,” “The Music Man” and “Six.” (Premium seats at “Hamilton” were selling for $299, compared to $847 before the pandemic.)

And this has become a good time for bargain hunters. Tickets to shows like David Byrne’s “American Utopia” and the best musical Tony winner “Moulin Rouge!,” both of which were routinely sold out before the pandemic, are now discounted at the TKTS booth in Times Square. And the city’s annual Broadway Week, which starts Tuesday and offers 2-for-1 tickets for most Broadway shows, this year will last 27 days — the longest in the program’s history.

angoradebs
#1865COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/16/22 at 4:55pm

ACL2006 said: "Nice to see this thread slowing down. The Come From Away tour had members from five different companies go on this week while performing in Minneapolis. Not sure who from the Australian, UK and Toronto productions joined, but Happy McPartlin l, now COVID negative, was also flown in and played Bonnie this weekend.

https://twitter.com/CToyJ/status/1482569879219851264?t=NjrGGBzr99VLubejHneCyQ&s=19
"

I believe Kilty Reidy (who has been a tour standby since before Covid) also spent time in the Australian company, so they might have been counting him. Amelia Cormack is also an Aussie, but I don't know if she was ever in CFA in Australia

Dave Shannon was covering the Kevin T track. He lives in Tennesse now but played the part in England.

Christine Toy Johnson's IG said James Kall was joining from Toronto. He played Nick & Others there but Happy's photo showed Kilty as Nick so I don't think he's performed yet (unless he went on today)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1866COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/17/22 at 9:16am

With the four shows closing, Broadway is down to 22 shows beginning today.

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#1867COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/17/22 at 10:56am

If anyone saw or knows someone who saw Come From Away tour in MN this weekend, I’m curious as to if they made any adjustments to the bus/Bible scene, due to Bob and Hannah (whose actors also play those characters) being white actors? I have heard of times when Hannah has been played by a white actress, in which case I believe that character is just absent from the bus scene, but never Bob played by a white actor. (According to a group photo it appears that Jenny Ashman and Kilty Reidy played Hannah and Bob, respectively). 

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3

angoradebs
#1868COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/17/22 at 11:20am

stoptheworld38 said: "If anyone saw or knows someone who saw Come From Away tour in MN this weekend, I’m curious as to if they made any adjustments to the bus/Bible scene, due to Bob and Hannah (whose actors also play those characters) being white actors? I have heard of times when Hannah has been played by a white actress, in which case I believe that character is just absent from the bus scene, but never Bob played by a white actor. (According to a group photo it appears that Jenny Ashman and Kilty Reidy played Hannah and Bob, respectively)."

Kilty actually posted a pic of the callout sheet that explains this! "Non-black Bob and non-black Hannah show. Kilty is Tunisian in this scenario. 'Wewe watuchuku wawapi' becomes 'Win bech t'hezzna.' Otherwise this is similar to the version where there's no Muhumuza's wife that we do with James [Earl Jones II, the regular Bob] and Amelia/Jenny [Hannah standbys]"

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#1869COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/17/22 at 12:03pm

ACL2006 said: "With the four shows closing, Broadway is down to 22 shows beginning today."

Plus 2 more next weekend (Slave Play and Girl from North Country.) With 41 Broadway theaters, that means half will be empty after next weekend.

On a brighter note, I noticed some off-broadway shows started previews this past week or coming week: Whisper House, Intimate Apparel, Long Day's Journey into Night, Black No More, Space Dogs, Prayer for the French Republic, etc.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#1870COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/17/22 at 12:07pm

ACL2006 said: "With the four shows closing, Broadway is down to 22 shows beginning today."

It's 21.

pagereynolds
#1871COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/17/22 at 12:09pm

TaffyDavenport said: "ACL2006 said: "With the four shows closing, Broadway is down to 22 shows beginning today."

It's 21.
"

Yes, 21 now, 19 next weekend, until Plaza Suite starts previews at the end of February.

Fosse76
#1872COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/18/22 at 3:59am

Has Wicked dropped to 7 shows per week? I noticed on Ticketmaster that they have canceled one performance each week through the first week of March (with the exception President's Day week). I didn't see an announcement (not that I was looking).

mailhandler777
#1873COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/23/22 at 1:53am

The Prom tour canceled 5 remaining shows in Baltimore due to 8 cast members testing positive there and 1 that was out in DC still in quarantine. I believe the first 3 in St Louis are canceled also. 

Jordan DeLeon who is a swing covered 8 roles on Wed night including Kevin,the Motel Clerk and Olivia Keating(which was changed to Oliver).

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

pagereynolds
#1874COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 1/23/22 at 1:00pm

Judy Kuhn posted she just tested positive and will be out of Assassins for the final performances.

Videos