Your Most Hated Musical

ksimone1120
#175Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/16/12 at 2:50pm

I actually seen 13 the musical. My friend gave me 2 tickets so it was free... It was awful.

Tsao5
#176Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/16/12 at 4:34pm

Aspects of Love.........more like Aspects of S #*$&^ ! (Only show I ever wanted to walk out on at intermission) Had a lot to do with the cast, which was the second cast in London.

Saturday Night Fever (Example of how lazy a director can be). Sometimes movie to stage works......a lot of times, not. at. all.

Meet me in St. Louis................cringe worthy! Why do I give two s%*%'s if this family can get to the fair, of if daughter number 2 marries the boy next door.

Rent (in London). On Broadway SUCH A GREAT CAST. In London....Lawdy lawdy lawdy! They were just horrible.

Batboy in London. Holy what was the director thinking Batman!!!! Literally, the worst directed show I have ever seen. The cast was not so good, the audience, about 46 people on a friday night just felt sorry for all of those poor bastards on stage. Really like the music. Wish I had seen it off broadway.

a-mad
#177Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/16/12 at 5:34pm

Just stumbled onto this thread:

TOP 3:

1) Cats - I didn't "get it"... and I know I wasn't "supposed to", but the whole thing was still "idiotic"

2) South Pacific - so I didn't see the revival... but of all the Rogers and Hammerstein's scores, I just don't love this one - which I realize is heresy. I've tried seeing this a couple of times, but it wasn't as enchanting (no pun intended), nor as emotional as I expected it to be.

3) The Music Man - just annoying... that's all.

SURPRISED I HAVEN'T SEEN ON ANYONE'S LIST (from what I could tell):

1) Carrie (198Your Most Hated Musical                                                       - I know it wasn't seen by many, and the love for the original on this thread is legendary... but still surprised.

NOT SURPRISED I HAVEN'T SEEN ON ANY LISTS, AND HAPPY BECAUSE ITS THE BEST MUSICAL OF ALL TIME:

1) Ragtime

rorschach37
#178Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/16/12 at 5:53pm

Wicked. I don't downright loathe it, but it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too overrated. I've never really seen a musical that I completely hated.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#179Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/16/12 at 5:54pm

Sweet Smell of Success-left at intermission.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#180Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/16/12 at 5:59pm

I'll amend my previous list to add Priscilla. I couldn't find anything to like enough for me to return for the second act.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

lynnespocktoo
#181Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/16/12 at 7:28pm

Grand Hotel was horrible and BKLYN was pretty dreadful too.

Live long and prosper.

rorschach37
#182Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/16/12 at 7:35pm

Priscilla really wasn't that great either. The only thing I really liked about it were the costumes. I'm surprised it's lasted this long.

mikey2573
#183Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/16/12 at 8:26pm

RENT. Still the worst professional theater production I have ever sat through. Positively DREADFUL!!

michellek45
#184Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/16/12 at 9:56pm

I would just call Wicked mediocre, but I keep comparing it to the book which makes me mourn what could have been. I also disliked how it seemed like whenever there was a moment of true potential for character/plot development or ANY dramatic tension, it was immediately followed by some (usually not funny) joke- see the "catfight" scene.

I can't stand Phantom because of its "true love=creepy stalker" overtones. I have similar problems with Last 5 Years because it keeps wanting me to be sympathetic to super-douche Jamie.

EDITED FOR: I completely forgot American Idiot. I don't know why I was supposed to feel sorry for the main character, who seemed really angry at his seemingly very supportive mom and didn't want to hold down a job because he's a struggling artist or whatever, or his friend who sat on the couch because he was too busy watching MTV to take care of his baby. The only characters I actually felt bad for were the kid who became a soldier and the girl who got pregnant. Updated On: 2/16/12 at 09:56 PM

BroadwayBound92 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound92
#185Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/16/12 at 10:54pm

I like to withdraw my previous statement about "Phantom Of The Opera." Because all in all, I don't hate it. *sighs* I don't think it's possible for me to hate ANY musical.

pinoyidol2006 Profile Photo
pinoyidol2006
#186Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/16/12 at 11:25pm

Pirate Queen, I guess.

I like your imperturbable perspicacity.

bpstar
#187Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/17/12 at 12:23am

Sweet Charity is such a bore.

Mister Matt
#188Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/17/12 at 11:00am

I completely forgot American Idiot. I don't know why I was supposed to feel sorry for the main character, who seemed really angry at his seemingly very supportive mom and didn't want to hold down a job because he's a struggling artist or whatever, or his friend who sat on the couch because he was too busy watching MTV to take care of his baby.

I just saw the show and was surprised how much I loved it. In my understanding, it wasn't the point to feel sorry for those characters. It's a coming-of-age story that illustrates the consequences of actions and decisions involving a very specific youth demographic during a very specific time. I found it frank and beautiful.

michellek45
#189Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/17/12 at 11:43am

Perhaps that was the point, and I won't disagree with you that. If that's what the show's setting out to achieve, it did it well. However, I find it hard to like a show where I spend every moment of it wanting to scream at the main characters.

justafan2
#190Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/17/12 at 1:45pm

By Jeeves and Tarzan---in that order.

Mister Matt
#191Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/17/12 at 2:32pm

However, I find it hard to like a show where I spend every moment of it wanting to scream at the main characters.

I definitely get that. It's why I don't like most Mamet plays. I don't care what happens to anybody.

groucho797 Profile Photo
groucho797
#192Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/18/12 at 10:09am

Wonderland and Addams Family - probably because I expected so much and got so little.

Updated On: 2/18/12 at 10:09 AM

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#193Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/18/12 at 10:18am

BABY IT'S YOU...those who saw it know what a god-awful piece of sh!t it was...

Also, although I enjoyed it when I saw it, I now find to RENT to be annoying and pretentious.

If Patrick Stewart wasn't such an amusing ham, I would walked out of A LIFE IN THE THEATRE

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#194Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/18/12 at 11:51am

Hate?

Story of My LIfe
Curtains (I know, I am in a very tiny minority.)
Br'klyn
Joseph
Rent
All Shook Up

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

TheHappyPhantom
#195Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/18/12 at 3:23pm

Grease, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Legally Blonde, Forum, Mamma Mia, Anything Goes, Kiss Me Kate, Crazy For You, Lysistrata Jones, Spamalot. Basically anything pointless, stupid, and lacking relevance.

charlesjguiteau Profile Photo
charlesjguiteau
#196Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/18/12 at 3:58pm

dramamama, you're not alone! CURTAINS was deplorable coming from the music-writing gods, Kander and Ebb. (Saw the LA pre-broadway run, could be it improved in time for Broadway?)

Other clunkers I actively detested:
Jerry Springer: the Opera
Avenue Q
Spamalot
The Producers

and the Most Hated award goes to:
The Scarlet Pimpernel. I was mortified to be a member of that audience.

Gink Profile Photo
Gink
#197Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/18/12 at 5:03pm

Spring Awakening--loved the recording and was so disapointed when I saw it. I have argued about this with a friend who loved it, but I thought the choreography was often jeky looking--I felt W was raped by her more knowing friend, didn't get the beating her up thing and thought it was odd that the gay scene was played for laughs when the over all tone of the show was more serious.

Gaveston2
#198Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/18/12 at 5:05pm

KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN, because it treated Latin American politics with condescension while reverting to old homosexual stereotypes, and completely missed the point of one of the great novels of the past half-century.

And before I saw it, I thought Kander and Ebb were the very best choice to adapt it.

ErinDillyFan Profile Photo
ErinDillyFan
#199Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 2/19/12 at 11:11am

The only show I felt I have seen that was a complete waste of time was:

God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater.

Videos