pixeltracker

Streisand Gypsy is still on....- Page 8

Streisand Gypsy is still on....

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#175Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/31/16 at 5:49pm

For me, the problem with Streisand doing a film of SUNSET BOULEVARD is twofold.

1. A fifty-year-old Norma Desmond wanting to play teenage Salome is sad, even tragic. a SEVENTY-year-old Norma Desmond wanting to play Salome is just risible.

2. For better or worse, Streisand brings her larger-than-life persona to every role she plays. Yes, it could have worked for GYPSY twenty or 25 years ago. But part of that persona is the ugly duckling who turned herself into a swan through sheer force of will. Ms. Streisand looks nothing like one who could ever have been a silent film star and her public persona (which always hovers just out of sight when she acts) doesn't fit the SUNSET narrative either. It's a shame she didn't play EVITA in the 1980s.

(BTW, I have dozens of Streisand recordings and have seen all her films except the last one. I'm a fan. I'm just not a delusional fan.)

BobbyBubbi  Profile Photo
BobbyBubbi
#176Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/31/16 at 6:26pm

GavestonPS: (BTW, I have dozens of Streisand recordings and have seen all her films except the last one. I'm a fan. I'm just not a delusional fan.)

My sentiments as well. 

Peter2 Profile Photo
Peter2
#177Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/31/16 at 11:35pm

BobbyBubbi said: "But you can’t deny this has been pattern in her career that makes it downright frustrating to be a Streisand fan. She hesitates and the chance is gone. We are then subjected to mundane “safe” comedies that are beneath her talent."

Sadly, I have to agree you are right. She has given us very few good movies. Most are mediocre or worse. 

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#178Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 1/31/16 at 11:49pm

I can't wait to see her as Great Grandmother Rose.... Actually, pleae don't.

Robert Preston was asked why he didn't do a revival of "The Music Man". He answered that the character was in his 30's and he was in his late 50's. He had too much respect for the character to portray him as he shouldn't be.  Hopefully Ms. Streisand will have the same respect for Rose.

Wilmingtom
#179Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 2/1/16 at 5:46am

Rewrite what is largely considered to be the best book ever written for a musical?  I don't think so.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#180Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 2/1/16 at 7:11pm

"Hamlet is supposed to be 17 but he is usually played by a 30 or 40 year old. (Mel Gibson, Laurence Olivier) to name a few."

Actually, my understanding of the text implies that Hamlet is around 30. Am I misinterpreting it? Sorry to thread jack, but I'm curious.

Updated On: 2/1/16 at 07:11 PM

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#181Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 2/1/16 at 7:50pm

Actually, my understanding of the text implies that Hamlet is around 30. Am I misinterpreting it? Sorry to thread jack, but I'm curious.

Yes, Hamlet is referred to as a 30 year old man (Yorick had died around 25 years before the beginning of the play and young hamlet used to play with him as a child), but his age is debated. The fact that he still goes to uni and his friends are uni students is strange for a 30 year old prince, not to mention the fact that if he were 30 Claudius wouldn't have any reason to rule. A teenager prince, on the other hand, might be considered too young to rule and so Claudius would have a good excuse to rule for a few years instead of him. Another theory is that hamlet is actually a teenager but he's described as older (and fatter) as an inside joke about burbage, the actor who originated the role. Long story short, the text says 30 but it's generally considered younger - not Romeo-like young, but younger than 30.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#182Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 2/1/16 at 7:59pm

Ah that makes sense. Thanks!

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#184Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/11/16 at 6:54pm

Ugh, just release the damn thing so it can be terrible and we can move on.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#185Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/11/16 at 6:55pm

YAY!!!!!...whether this is the right movie or not for the 70+ year old star will be up to the public...but on a strictly emotional level i am so happy it finally will be made...BABS singing ROSE'S TURN should be awesome to see and hear!

broadwayboy223
#186Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/11/16 at 7:00pm

YAAAAASSSSS

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#187Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/11/16 at 7:07pm

Barry Levinson actually signed on to direct. Wow. An amazing director who I'm sure will make this an incredible film. 

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#188Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/11/16 at 7:11pm

This is so exciting!! (Annaleigh Ashford as June, please.)

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#189Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/11/16 at 7:13pm

Yes, director of such incredible movies as Rock the Kasbah, An Everlasting Piece, Man of the Year, Envy, etc.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#190Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/11/16 at 7:14pm

Barry Levinson could actually be an excellent choice to direct this.  I hope it happens. I'd love to see Barbra's take on the character, and the film couldn't be worse than any of the other movie musicals that of come out in the last few years.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#191Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/11/16 at 7:20pm

Nice selective resume, lil' Fanny. I'm sure you're a much better choice to direct this than the man who won an Oscar for directing one of the greatest films ever made. 

dannyboy_18 Profile Photo
dannyboy_18
#192Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/11/16 at 7:30pm

So is this the secret project Babs and Star Wars' Daisy Ridley were working on last month?

Love DaNnYbOy xxxxxooooo --- CAN'T WAIT 4 EVITA!!! RICKY MARTIN I LOVE U! (Marry me pleeaaaase!!!!!)

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#193Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/11/16 at 7:35pm

...in 1988. What was the last good movie he made? Wag the Dog, probably, though I haven't seen The Humbling yet.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#194Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/11/16 at 7:45pm

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

Claudia Draper
#195Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/11/16 at 7:54pm

Like the Daisy Ridley rumor..  as Grand-Daugher June.   YES.  Christmas 2017.  #dontstart #hatersgonnahate

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#196Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/11/16 at 8:01pm

Oh it's being announced again so that it can be postponed....again? Cool. Let's do this for another five years! 

Tom5
#197Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/11/16 at 8:15pm

The only way this could/will be done with Ms Streisand as Mama Rose would be as a TV Special. Like South Pacific about 10 years back with Glenn Close playing Nellie.  It would be assured of high ratings.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#198Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/11/16 at 8:27pm

Streisand Gypsy is still on....

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#199Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 4/11/16 at 8:34pm

Barry Levinson's recent film credits have been minor, but he's done some excellent producing/directing for TV  in the last decade, including an Emmy nomination for directing YOU DONT KNOW JACK about five years ago.

At any rate, I'd take a movie from the man that directed films like AVALON, GOOD MORNING VIETNAM, RAIN MAIN, BUGSY, DINER, THE NATURAL over Rob Marshall any day.

Now - I will say STX as a production company doesn't have a hugely impressive roster under their belt, but I take it they are only a couple of years old - they are at least ambitious.

And sure -- this could still end up being sold for cable television. It likely wouldn't be on a Network.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 4/11/16 at 08:34 PM

Videos