pixeltracker

On The Twentieth Century Previews- Page 8

On The Twentieth Century Previews

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#175On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 9:27am

Taz, the music remains, but the lyrics and tone of the song are now different.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#176On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 9:29am

Gallagher has never had a great deal of vocal stamina (remember how he needed to use a microphone in Noises Off, when every other actor who has played that part has been able to project from the back of the house?); perhaps he or the director knew that he wouldn't be able to successfully deliver a big number that late in the evening.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#177On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 9:33am

Is Jim Walton an unlisted standby for Gallagher? IBDB doesn't identify him as understudying anyone. It would be ... odd?... to have someone like Walton doing nothing but the Conductor/chorus.

He seems to have become the go-to standby for the Roundabout, hasn't he?

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#178On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 9:40am

I'll be seeing this in 2 weeks. Nice to read everyone's thoughts on the show. I'm a bit disappointed to hear the orchestra is on the small side, especially for this score. I wonder who else was considered for Oscar. Considering that Doug Sills was involved with the concert version several years ago, I'd really like to see his as Oscar.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#179On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 10:38am

Any update on the running time? Is it still 2h30m?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

WhizzerMarvin
#180On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 10:56am

It's been tightened up a little- maybe 2h20/25min.

James Moye is listed as the Oscar understudy in the Playbill; Jim Walton seems to only be playing the Conductor with no understudy/standby duties.

I really love Jim Walton and am always glad to see him working. He adds so much, even when playing small roles like this. I remember at a MUFTI performance the elevator got stuck (with people in it?) and they had to hold the curtain for over 40 minutes while the fire dept got it working again. Walton came out and serenaded us already in the theater, accompanying himself on the piano. He sang a lot of Merrily and told us stories about Sondheim, the rehearsal process and reaction to the show's reception. I don't even remember what MUFTI it was for, but I won't forget his impromptu cabaret act!

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#181On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 11:32am

I was there last night and enjoyed myself, thanks in large part to Ms. Chenoweth. She is making a bright star turn in a role that she is simply perfect for. I've never seen a production of OTTC, but know the recording well.

What a great but very difficult role! Cheno is wonderful vocally, but even better physically. She throws herself, literally, into the role and is very funny. I wish I had seen Kahn, a comedienne I adore, to make a comparison. Kaye as well.

Unfortunately, that is where the rave ends for me. Again, I wish I had seen the original to see what Kline, Cullum and Coca did on that stage. First and least impressive was Gallagher's Oscar. He made decent acting choices, but Oscar needs to be charismatic and he just fell short. He was in very shaky voice and off pitch frequently (He has always sounded underpitch, even as a younger man in "A Dolls Life" and "Guys and Dolls"). Mr. Karl was serviceable, but still has his timing off a bit to really put the very physical role over. I adore Ms. Wilson, but I feel she just came off as old, not dotty, or nutty. It simply wasn't as funny as it could've been, imo. "She's a Nut" just wasn't funny, even with some of the sight gags.

The sets were nice and the costumes lovely, and McGrath and Linn-Baker were both as good as they always are.

My biggest problem, as others have said, was the slight orchestra. I couldn't even hear the first several bars of the overture.

I was disappointed, but hopefully it will become sharper, which will help a great deal. I kept thinking of the precision of "Gentleman's Guide" and how Chenoweth was delivering and the rest seemed a few beats behind.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#182On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 11:33am

"I wonder who else was considered for Oscar."

Hugh Jackman did a reading for it a few years ago.

WhizzerMarvin
#183On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 11:36am

I didn't see Sills in the concert version a few years ago, but I can only imagine how great he was, and what a match he would make for Chenoweth.

mamaleh
#184On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 11:40am

Sills was fantastic--not only in great voice but oh, so over-the-top bombastic/funny, just what the part calls for.

Patty3
#185On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 2:26pm

Thanks for posting the link to the commercial. I saw the original. I love how Kevin Kline is not even mentioned and he probably went on to be the best known of the cast.

Looking forward to seeing this next month!

Theatrical Landladies Profile Photo
Theatrical Landladies
#186On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 7:01pm

Whizzer thank you for your excellent review! Still excited to see this on 20/03.

Would love to hear if any changes are made during previews or is this pretty much set in stone?

"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#187On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/20/15 at 7:47pm

I think part of my Gallagher adoration comes from the fact that I was seeing my dream father (Sandy Cohen on THE OC) onstage. (I do love my actual dad, though.) I'll admit that Cullum is irreplaceable vocally, but he did a fine job, and his hair was appropriately Barrymore-esque. Still wish he had a decent "Legacy" though...

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#188On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/21/15 at 8:00am

I've only ever sat in the last few rows of the orchestra for this theatre. Would I be craning my neck if we sat front row?

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#189On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/21/15 at 8:47am

James Moye is an odd but perhaps interesting choice. Anyone remember him from "Far From Heaven" a few years ago, with O'Hara and Pasquale (I still like the score, but never mind). He played one of the smarmy friends/co-workers. He's not a traditional leading man, he's sort of round and blustery, but has a big voice, considerably bigger that Gallagher's. If he goes on, and he might very well, I bet the score will at least sound damned good.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

de_lovely Profile Photo
de_lovely
#190On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/21/15 at 9:21pm

Was at tonight's performance. At about 8:10 KC and someone who looked like the stage manager strolled out and announced Peter Gallagher was so sick he couldn't talk even, so he couldn't go on. And then they said he has an understudy but that since it was their first week of previews, the ripple down effect would put the cast "in danger." I'm not sure what kind of danger? So they canceled the show and sent us all home!

Big bummer for someone like me who bought this hiptix month ago and made a long (and not cheap) train commute in today. Kristen at least sang "Smile" for us and they performed the porter tap number from the opening of the second app.

We're all getting refunds / exchanges apparently. I'm just worried I won't be able to get another hiptix ticket equivalent because of availability, but we'll see!

Of course anyone can get sick, but in light of some people's questioning whether or not this show will be too vocally demanding for Peter Gallagher, this could be potentially troubling. I would assume the matinee show tomorrow will not happen either. At least not with him.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#191On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/21/15 at 9:58pm

That was Scott Ellis, the director.

Chenoweth sang Chaplin's "Smile," very humorously, and the porters performed "Life is a Like a Train."

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

kidmanboy Profile Photo
kidmanboy
#192On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/21/15 at 10:29pm

As a young parent taking advantage of a rare opportunity to have a night out, I was enraged at the way this was handled. Surely, they could have decided even 20 minutes earlier so we could have gone to see a different show (perhaps the other comden and green show next door?). Mr. Ellis never even actually said the show was cancelled and there was very little sympathy or courtesy to the hundreds of people that made arrangements to get to the theater that evening. I've never seen anything like it.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#193On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/21/15 at 11:01pm

Wow, it sounds like quite an unusual performance (or lack thereof).

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#194On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/21/15 at 11:47pm

It was very odd indeed. Apparently people who worked at the American Airlines didn't even know until it was announced to us in the audience.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#195On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 1:47am

I bet they were working down to the wire to try and have the understudy go on, and finally decided it just wasn't feasible.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#196On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 2:01am

^ I hear he made an attempt at during vocal warm ups but he was not able to hit notes and or sing as he is sick...I guess the first week of previews has really put strain on his voice and now being ill doesn't help as the understudy was not ready.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

FindingNamo
#197On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 2:08am

It's Madeline all over again. I can;'t have it, I WON'T.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#198On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 2:21am

Well, this is the first time I've ever seen a train derailment.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#199On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 2:46am

I'm NOT intentionally speaking ill of Mr. Gallagher, BUT...

With the buzz not exactly being "all that kind" coming out of the first week's worth of previews, could we (possibly) see a replacement in the works? I just get this sinking feeling that we're going to have another PAL JOEY situation on our hands.

Updated On: 2/22/15 at 02:46 AM

Videos