pixeltracker

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]- Page 8

The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#175The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/3/15 at 7:20am

Also, when I read the pitchfork review I didn't even notice the rating at first.

The review itself seemed like a rave.

....but the world goes 'round

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#176The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/3/15 at 8:18am

One more post:

The cut "John Adams Rap"

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#177The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/3/15 at 8:23am

I thought the more st negative comment was about the sound of b'way over-riding the style....but I'm not convinced it was meant as a negative.  And it's not wrong.

Didn't someone say that a 6.9 on this site is pretty high?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Jace2017
#178The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/3/15 at 2:42pm

Hey everyone! So I was listening to the Hamilton cast recording and during "What'd I Miss?" Jefferson makes a comment along the lines of "Sally, be a lamb why don't you open it.". I was curious as to who Sally was so I googled it and found out that it was his mixed race enslaved mistress. Pretty crazy that even a minor detail like that is included in the show. Do they mention anymore of Sally in the show? I haven't gotten to see it yet.  

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#179The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/3/15 at 2:44pm

Sally is fairly well known historically, but no, there is no other mention or explanation of her in the show. It's like an Easter Egg for those who pick up on it.

Updated On: 10/3/15 at 02:44 PM

dramamama611
#180The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/3/15 at 3:32pm

With whom he fathered several children. Descendants of Jefferson, regardless if their mother have family reunions of sorts. (Or they used to).

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

rjm516
#181The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/3/15 at 7:11pm

Yeah I freaking loved that he has that quick moment with one of his slaves and they made it Sally. Every inch of this show is so carefully done !

ChiTheaterFan
#182The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/3/15 at 7:22pm

In case you haven't seen it, today's ham4ham was adorable. https://www.youtube.com/embed/31zJo-ys1bk

Theatre dweeb
#183The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/4/15 at 7:17pm

I saw it two days after opening, which is easily the coolest thing I've ever done. IT WAS AMAZING!!! I cried laughing during any part including King George, and cried of sadness thanks to Anthony Ramos. When the cast album came out, I came home to find my family  blasting it at my house. Definitely one of the best shows I've ever seen. 

coasterking500
#184The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/5/15 at 12:08am

Long time viewer not often poster here. Just saw the show on Saturday.  Thought it was great really had a good time. Truly a well done production but I have one question and I'm hoping someone will be able to help.  

Spoiler 

At the end when Philipa soos character looks out and gasps is that supposed to be her recognizing the audience as who will tell her story?  I thought I might have missed something and that's what I can come up with.  I apologize if this has been discussed already. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#185The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/5/15 at 12:11am

I assumed everyone knew that Thomas Jefferson had several children with his slave Sally Hemmings; it was a plot point on 30 Rock that Tracy was one of their descendants which made him want to star in a Norbit-style film about Jefferson called Jefferson, in which he played many of the parts including King George. I thought the reference in What'd I Miss was very clever. This show has layers!

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

dramamama611
#186The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/5/15 at 6:00am

Coaster - I believe that's up for interpretation.  Many here seem to believe, however, that she has passed and once again sees Hamilton.

I like your idea, too.

coasterking500
#187The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/5/15 at 9:36am

Dramamama oh I could see that now that I'm thinking about it, thanks!  

hamilfan
#188The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/5/15 at 9:56am

ChiTheaterFan said: "Yes. It's recorded from "rewind" until the part where she sings the full line ("I remember that night I just might regret that night for the rest of my days".  /) through. (Spoilers) She freezes and everything else goes in reverse to the beginning of the party before Eliza meets Hamilton. I seem to remember it involves the turntable but I can't really remember because it's so seamless and it really just seem like someone actually hit the rewind button. That's a really poor explanation because it's hard to describe. It's really some of the most clever and effective staging in the whole show. "

Thank you!!! Listening to Satisfied right now lol

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#189The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/5/15 at 10:00am

@Coaster I think it is intentionally written to have multiple meanings (like many other things in the show). 

None of us know what happens at the moment of death but there are many who think it is a moment of omniscience and/or a threshold at which one can look back and forward at the same time. (For a musical explication, you have to go no farther than Rent.)

FindingNamo
#190The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/5/15 at 10:09am

I just assumed she needed a deep breath after listing her accomplishments. 

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

MVintheheartland
#191The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/5/15 at 10:15am

ChiTheaterFan said: "In case you haven't seen it, today's ham4ham was adorable. https://www.youtube.com/embed/31zJo-ys1bk

Darn kids, they memorize so easily!! Very cool. 

"

coasterking500
#192The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/5/15 at 11:01am

Hogan- I see exactly what you mean. I just at the time wasn't sure if I missed something or not, admittedly I had a tough time hearing at moments so I thought I might have just overlooked something. I really appreciate your insight and help! 

Namo - that was great, I just laughed really loud at work! :)

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#193The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/5/15 at 11:20am

FindingNamo said: "I just assumed she needed a deep breath after listing her accomplishments."

Embarrassing how hard I laughed at this.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#194The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/6/15 at 11:57am

I wasn't familiar with this site, called genius.com, but Lin-Manuel has been tweeting about it. Apparently you can annotate the lyrics. It's pretty interesting what people are coming up with! Each song gets its own page.

Evidently, we're not the only obsessives! The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]

https://genius.com/Lin-manuel-miranda-alexander-hamilton-lyrics

Updated On: 10/6/15 at 11:57 AM

ChiTheaterFan
#195The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/6/15 at 12:04pm

Wow. I'm going to have to find some time to go through this. I never realized that the "we fought with him" line in the opening song had double-meaning with the double-casting, since Mulligan and Lafayette fought beside him, but Madison and Jefferson fought against him politically. Both could be "we fought with". Pretty cool. 

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#196The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/6/15 at 12:17pm

Oh, I just realized, on genius.com, you have to click on the lyrics that are highlighted to get the annotations. [Slaps forehead]

Great point, Chi!

Updated On: 10/6/15 at 12:17 PM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#197The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/6/15 at 2:53pm

That link is really cool. It's exactly what I think the book is going to be like as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Updated On: 10/6/15 at 02:53 PM

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#198The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/6/15 at 3:15pm

I just wanted to come in here and say that this cast recording surpasses every single rave review that it has received.  I was hesitant to jump on the bandwagon because I grew up loathing history, I haven't liked hip-hop/rap since I was in middle school, and usually shows with this amount of hype get thrown in your face too much and to me they're never worth that hype.

But holy crap.  I literally CANT stop listening to this cast recording.  It's pure genius. My friend and I are saving money right now that way we can buy good tickets next month for April of next year. 

I'm so in love with this music.  If I had the opportunity to listen to this in elementary/middle school I would have ended up loving American history.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#199The Thread for HAMILTON Fans/Obsessives [SPOILERS AHEAD]
Posted: 10/6/15 at 8:32pm

I went Sunday, and can't stop listening. And thank you for explaining the annotation highlighting feature. Jeesh; eluded me entirely.  But include me among the fully besotted.  I just listened to "Non Stop" nonstop at the gym.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Videos