pixeltracker

HELLO, DONNA! - Murphy begins performances - Page 8

HELLO, DONNA! - Murphy begins performances

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#175Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/26/17 at 11:04pm

some of her performances during the next two weeks have a ton of tickets available. Would Rudin really prohibit the show from being up at TKTS?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#176Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/27/17 at 10:20am

I'm in the process of moving to Florida and have been unable to see Bette in the role with my limited opportunities, but after reading all these posts (and having loved Donna Murphy in everything I've seen her do) I decided to get a discount ticket for tomorrow's matinee.  Wow.  Fifth row orchestra, in the aisle seat of the side section -- actually my favorite place to sit in the orchestra with less obstacles of heads in the way of viewing, and a way to stretch my feet out.   So looking forward to this. 

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#177Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/27/17 at 10:34am

CarlosAlberto said: "It is amazing to me how so much of you b!tches are responding from hearing tumblr audio and smartphone video. You POOR b!tches who can't afford a real ticket need to go se the REAL show and then report back. STOP coming on this board with your reviews based on leaked audio and video...

"

Roses are red,

Violets are blue,

Shut the f*ck up,

Not everyone can afford what you do.

Asshole..

Broadway World's Fireman.

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#178Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/27/17 at 10:45am

ACL2006 said: "some of her performances during the next two weeks have a ton of tickets available. Would Rudin really prohibit the show from being up at TKTS?

"

Rudin has proven himself a smart producer, but a pig of a human being in several ways.

I expect very little from him in terms of things like TKTS and charitable causes.

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#179Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/27/17 at 10:49am

CarlosAlberto said: "It is amazing to me how so much of you b!tches are responding from hearing tumblr audio and smartphone video. You POOR b!tches who can't afford a real ticket need to go se the REAL show and then report back. STOP coming on this board with your reviews based on leaked audio and video...

"

Is this your first week on an internet theatre board?  Calm down mary.

Updated On: 6/27/17 at 10:49 AM

B.JAMES Profile Photo
B.JAMES
#180Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/27/17 at 3:13pm

It's at TKTS today for anyone who is interested.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#181Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/27/17 at 3:41pm

Kinda disappointing that Scott Rudin hasn't permitted the Official HELLO, DOLLY! Instagram page to post any photos or any mention of Donna Murphy.  Even today when Donna begins her week run for vacationing Bette Midler, they chose to put an ad with the Bette Midler/HELLO, DOLLY! logo.  Not a single photo nor mention of Donna anywhere.  

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#182Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/27/17 at 4:20pm

UPDATE: as of 4:18pm EST, the Official HELLO, DOLLY! Instagram page has posted an image of one of the street board stating Donna is HELLO, DOLLY!  On the previous post someone commented this oversight so I'm sure that prompted them to mention Donna for this entire week.  

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#183Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/27/17 at 4:31pm

Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#184Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/27/17 at 4:31pm

I am going tonight and am so excited.

RagtimeRay
#185Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/27/17 at 11:54pm

I thoroughly enjoyed Donna Murphy in Hello, Dolly! She was well received, and I enjoyed all of the principals. The look of the production was great. I don't think anyone would be disappointed seeing Donna instead of Bette. I sat next to visitors from London, and they were super impressed.

Ray is the author of the Brad Frame mystery series, and two suspense novels. He is also the author of a one man play based on Ben Franklin. http://www.rayflynt.com
Updated On: 6/28/17 at 11:54 PM

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#186Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/28/17 at 1:07am

I caught Bette about a month ago and Donna Tonight. 

The excitement of seeing a superstar in Hello Dolly is ..well exciting. I enjoyed Bette in the role but I felt she was really carried by the amazing people around her; Gavin Creel, Kate Baldwin,  David Hyde Pierce, Beanie Feldstein, and the fabulous chorus. She was fine in the role. Kind of what you expect. Bette playing a version of Bette. Nice job. Not a Tony Award winning performance (oh wait) but fine and exciting none the less. I was smiling from ear to ear and had a great time watching Bette..  It was Bette playing  Dolly and you never forgot that. But that is a kick in itself.

Saw Donna Murphy tonight. Donna's Dolly was more real, funny, warm, more manipulative and in charge  and totally believable. You were watching Dolly Levi up there.  Donna  sang and danced impeccably and was technically a better Dolly if lacking the superstar excitement of  Bette. Donna reminded me of one part Mary Martin; one part Shirley Booth; one part Fanny Brice and one part Zazu Pitts. Donna was a totally belieivable and wonderful Dolly. .  Donna owned that stage as did Bette. It was just a different experience;  The only thing missing was the superstar excitement of seeing Bette Midler.  It was Superstar Bette  versus consummate musical theatre performer Donna Murphy.  Both are great Dolly's and I'm glad I saw them both.

Check Donna out for a totally interesting and wonderful experience.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#187Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/28/17 at 4:30am

Great post, goldenboy

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#188Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/28/17 at 6:20am

I went last night. I've now seen both casts. Here's my review:

http://poisonivywalloftext.blogspot.com/2017/06/the-divine-miss-murphy-in-hello-dolly.html

BroadwayLover4
#189Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/28/17 at 7:10am

Great review!!! Can't wait to see Donna. I am doing back to back in August. Donna on Tuesday evening, Bette on Wednesday. I truly love this production!!!

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#190Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/28/17 at 7:59am

Wow wow wow, fellas... Donna Murphy's Dolly is a revelation. I LOVED Bette so much in the show when I saw it back in March, but Donna has this magic touch she brings to the role that made me love her even more than Bette. Donna seems much more in harmony with the rest of the cast and she is not as much of a standout as Bette (in a good way). I was completely taken with Murphy, and I will be seeing the show again in July to catch her again.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

RagtimeRay
#191Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/28/17 at 8:55am

goldenboy said: "Saw Donna Murphy tonight. Donna's Dolly was more real, funny, warm, more manipulative and in charge  and totally believable. You were watching Dolly Levi up there.  Donna  sang and danced impeccably and was technically a better Dolly if lacking the superstar excitement of  Bette. Donna reminded me of one part Mary Martin; one part Shirley Booth; one part Fanny Brice and one part Zazu Pitts. Donna was a totally belieivable and wonderful Dolly. .  Donna owned that stage as did Bette. It was just a different experience;  The only thing missing was the superstar excitement of seeing Bette Midler.  It was Superstar Bette  versus consummate musical theatre performer Donna Murphy.  Both are great Dolly's and I'm glad I saw them both."

This is a great review, I completely agree.

Ray is the author of the Brad Frame mystery series, and two suspense novels. He is also the author of a one man play based on Ben Franklin. http://www.rayflynt.com

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#192Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/28/17 at 9:52am

Just wanted to say that I also rarely stage door but I was on such a high that I decided to do it if only to express appreciation to this cast. 

This was by far the nicest cast I've met. EVERYONE came out, EVERYONE signed, EVERYONE made sure to chat with the people they were signing for and so it was less of an assembly line. And the group at the stage door was also very orderly and all of them seemed like real fans, and not autograph hounds.

crixie2
#193Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/28/17 at 10:07am

RagtimeRay said: "goldenboy said: "Saw Donna Murphy tonight. Donna's Dolly was more real, funny, warm, more manipulative and in charge  and totally believable. You were watching Dolly Levi up there.  Donna  sang and danced impeccably and was technically a better Dolly if lacking the superstar excitement of  Bette. Donna reminded me of one part Mary Martin; one part Shirley Booth; one part Fanny Brice and one part Zazu Pitts. Donna was a totally belieivable and wonderful Dolly. .  Donna owned that stage as did Bette. It was just a different experience;  The only thing missing was the superstar excitement of seeing Bette Midler.  It was Superstar Bette  versus consummate musical theatre performer Donna Murphy.  Both are great Dolly's and I'm glad I saw them both."

I agree with what everyone has had to say about Donna's performance: she gives Dolly something of a New York edge (and accent) -- after all, this is a woman who is hustling for every last dime she can make. Donna was funny, touching, goofy, radiant. And in GREAT voice. I saw Bette and loved her. Now I've seen Donna  and I loved her, too. So did last night's audience. Everyone involved in the production was going at full throttle, and it was a total joy. A British couple sitting next to me knew that Bette wouldn't be on, but decided to give it a go. They told me that had the time of their lives. Given the real-life passing of Donna's husband, "Before the Parade Passes By" took on extra significance, and out came my handkerchief. Don't miss it!

"

PepperedShepherd Profile Photo
PepperedShepherd
#194Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/28/17 at 12:19pm

Just picked up a ticket from TelechargeOffers for Donna's post-Labor Day run in September.  Only $99 for first row, center mezz.

So I'll be seeing Donna several days before I see Bette, but, at that price, I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#195Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/28/17 at 2:12pm

PepperedShepherd said: "Just picked up a ticket from TelechargeOffers for Donna's post-Labor Day run in September.  Only $99 for first row, center mezz.

So I'll be seeing Donna several days before I see Bette, but, at that price, I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Also, for those of you who are interested in seeing Donna now through 7/9, there are A LOT of great seats available through Telecharge Offers, using the BroadwayBox discount code HDBOX522. I just bought a ticket for this Friday, 6/30, and I went for the $99 front row center mezzanine. It will probably be on tkts, of course, but I thought it was worth an extra $20 to be able to pick this seemingly perfect seat.

Dollypop
#196Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/28/17 at 5:44pm

I was at this afternoon's matinee and fully enjoyed Donna's performance. She's better vocally than Bette but I would have to say Bette's eating scene surpasses Donna's. I might even say that Bette's eating scene surpassed Carol's.

By all means, see Donna Murphy!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Dollypop
#197Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/28/17 at 5:54pm

BTW: I found 3 little girls doing their own version of "Dancing" during intermission. I love when that happens!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#198Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/28/17 at 6:09pm

Of the Dollys I've seen, I think Klea Blackhurst did the eating scene the best at Goodspeed. She had me dying when well into it (overtly aware by this time that everyone in the courtroom wanted her to hurry up), she shrugged at the court, kept eating (she even pulled out an ear of corn), and then looked up to the box seats in the balcony, and started shrugging and making gestures to them that she was well aware they wanted her to hurry up. I can't even begin to explain how funny she was. Wish it was taped.

Updated On: 6/28/17 at 06:09 PM

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#199Donna Murphy in HELLO DOLLY!
Posted: 6/29/17 at 12:06am

I agree. Blackhurst was sensational.  

Videos