pixeltracker

You know you're a B'way geek when...- Page 8

You know you're a B'way geek when...

LyTeMyCanDyI Profile Photo
LyTeMyCanDyI
#175You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/15/07 at 2:13am

"You wait for your roommate to go to class so you can blast showtunes and do the blocking along with it."

YUP!!!

When you go to Adelphi and recruit people by telling them Jonathan Larson came here when they ask about famous alumni.

When you go through every hall in the Earle Hall at Adelphi (because that's where most of the Perf Arts students dorm due to its proximity to the theater) so you can walk past the door to the room Jonathan lived in.

Megan Mullally as Karen Walker on Will and Grace: "Tell me more. Tell me more. Like does he have a car?"

#176You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/15/07 at 3:01am

I work in marketing for independent film, and we had a staff meeting to discuss the annual film festival, which everyone simply calls "The Festival".

And every time without fail, my inner monologue pipes in:
"The King's Festival!"

And then I giggle.

AnaGFan
#177You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/15/07 at 9:31am

The only way you can remember names and faces is by casting them into Broadway roles or associating them with showtunes.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#178You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/15/07 at 9:46am

When you're junior year history teacher tells you at the end of you're junior year that you must own every musical t-shirt on the planet.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#179You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/15/07 at 11:38am

When asked to do a biography paper in your Civil War Era class, you don't select Abraham Lincoln, but instead John Wilkes Booth. Then you proceed to make most of the paper about how Booth was a main character in Stephen Sondheim's Assassins.

You are depressed when going to classes...until you realize your next one is Musical theatre History and you watch videos of shows and talk about Musical Comedies...

the teachers in such classes aske questions in this form "Does anyone know who was the original in such a such show---someone besides Stephanie?"

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

jasobres
#180You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/15/07 at 12:17pm

I know that I'm a Broadway geek when I've seen more shows than any 19-year-old in my city: approx. 45!

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#181You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/15/07 at 12:24pm

19 year-old!? good...I didn't start the *obsessive* show seeing until I hit 20! Good for you!!!

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#182You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/15/07 at 12:27pm

You know how to spell Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

WalkOn
#183You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/15/07 at 12:32pm

When you become a Broadway Legend on Broadworld.com.

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart; and you'll never walk alone.

colleen_lee
#184You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/15/07 at 1:39pm

When you see the article in Variety about the Menier Chocolate Factory production of SITPWG transferring to Broadway and you start screaming like you won the f***ing lottery.

Seriously.

My neighbors came over to see what in the hell was going on....

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay
Updated On: 2/15/07 at 01:39 PM

beyondblessed Profile Photo
beyondblessed
#185You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/15/07 at 2:45pm

-When sweeping the floor, or if you ever see a community broom you have "Elphaba moments".

- You own the score to "Merrily We Roll Along" but don't like sharing it because people are always amazed by your performaces of songs from the one Sondheim musical they never herd of.

- You have taught someone how to pronounce 'Chenoweth'

-You understand every single reference to b'way on 'Will and Grace'

-You're so cool that you call it b'way

-You sing songs from unpopular musicals like 'Golden Boy' and 'Civil War' but you think they were some of the best shows ever.

-You have had debates like 'Sondheim vs. Webber' or 'Peters vs. Andrews'

-You not only know all the melodies from your OBCRs but often harmonize with them.

-You think it's weird when Broadway stars only have one name like LaChanze and Orfeh.

-You realize that you just wasted a significant amount of time reading all the posts on this message board so you wouldn't piss anyone off with repeats.

Going to a musical late in its run is like going to a prostitute late in her shift.
Updated On: 2/15/07 at 02:45 PM

glimpseofstocking Profile Photo
glimpseofstocking
#186You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/15/07 at 3:09pm

- When you sing "Jesus Christ Superstar" at least once a day in religion class, even when you don't like "Jesus Christ Superstar" (...or religion class).

- When you can't help but laugh when your English teacher says "Tradition!!" and does "Fiddler arms". And you turn out to be the only person in the class who knows what he's talking about.

- When you are shocked that your friends have never seen The Sound of Music.

- When you see someone who looks exactly like Jerry Herman in Target and you almost pass out. But then you realize that there's no logical reason why Jerry Herman would be walking around a Target in Ohio.

There wouldn't be lights bright enough!

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#187You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/15/07 at 3:11pm

you immediately associate just about any phrase with an entire song
-you've seen the new new york times weekender commercial and have asked someone "hey was that michael reidel?"

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Zeitoujo
#188You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/15/07 at 4:32pm

ive seen 45 shows as a 16 year old. big woop. i live in upper bergen county- easy commute, not to mention the richest county in the USA but hey i go to the city as often as possible

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

My Strongest Suit Profile Photo
My Strongest Suit
#189You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/16/07 at 2:00pm

Today in my Women's Studies class, my teacher was talking about how women are considered posessions of men and i thought of "Is gratitude enough for giving me Cosette?" - Les Mis

LET OTHERS RISE TO TAKE OUR PLACE UNTIL THE EARTH IS FREE!

glimpseofstocking Profile Photo
glimpseofstocking
#190You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/21/07 at 2:42pm

When you consider applying to a college just because it's in a city called Allentown

There wouldn't be lights bright enough!

geekgirl06 Profile Photo
geekgirl06
#191You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/21/07 at 2:45pm

When you wear show shirts to your musical rehearsals and even the other cast members don't know what the show is. (Granted this could be because I go to a school of engineers, lol) And then one of your cast mates asks you if you have any shirts that aren't from a show.

When for Spring Break you go to NYC rather than a beach and all you do is go to shows.

Dancing through life... For the next ten minutes

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#192You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/21/07 at 3:53pm

- When your a senior in high school and teach a Musical Theater class for middle schoolers! (Yeah I'm just that cool)
- When your drama teacher calls you to ask you what show he should go see while he's in the city.
- When your names in the program more then anyone else, because you couldn't JUST act.

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu
Updated On: 2/21/07 at 03:53 PM

JustABroadwaybaby2
#193You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/21/07 at 6:42pm

When you listen to 102.7 in NY and hear a Broadway ad, you start shrieking.

"I'm thinking about how if you took the W in answer, and the H in ghost, and the extra A in aardvark, and the T in listen, you could keep saying WHAT but no one would ever hear you because the whole word would be silent." Please support BC/EFA at goodsearch.com! Search for anything, and your charity will get a cent!

BobbyErikValjean Profile Photo
BobbyErikValjean
#194You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/21/07 at 9:41pm

When you listen to 102.7 in NY and hear a Broadway ad, you start shrieking.

HECK YES! They ROCK! I always hear Les Miz ads and Phantom ads on that station!

When all the playlists on your ipod have to do with broadway shows.
You LOL when 'Bobby' and 'Johanna' are going out, calling it Sondheim's Musical Characters in Love.

LyTeMyCanDyI Profile Photo
LyTeMyCanDyI
#195You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/21/07 at 10:31pm

You watch American Idol and are jealous of the girl Simon Cowell said had a Broadway voice.

Megan Mullally as Karen Walker on Will and Grace: "Tell me more. Tell me more. Like does he have a car?"

nztheatreluva Profile Photo
nztheatreluva
#196You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/22/07 at 2:09am

When your first big overseas trip is to New York and you can't possibly cut down your list of 20 shows that you wanna see on broadway.

When you get pissed off at sttupid American idol judges cause they say someone sounds "too Broadway" like it's a bad thing.

When someone mentions that it's a photo opportunity the entirety of Happy new Year runs through your head

J'ai compris tous les mots, j'ai bien compris, merci.............

fabala4077 Profile Photo
fabala4077
#197You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/22/07 at 9:49am

1. You find yourself reciting Shakespeare often. You know bits of it by heart.
2. You forego your homework to read a depressing play cover to cover at night (which I did recently with Buried Child and Waiting for Godot, both of which are spectacular)
3. You don't read books anymore. You read plays and acting theory.
4. You arrive at rehersal 40 minutes early just to watch the director work with other people.
5. Your friends come over and you practice crying on cue in your bedroom, listening to really sad songs and describing what it would be like to die, and pushing each others sad buttons.
6. You spend two hours practicing your lines and it feels like 20 minutes.
7. You know every line of "Your Fault" from Into the Woods, and recite it often for your friends and peers.
8. You own many Broadway recordings, and still listen to them although you know them by heart.
9. You liked Rent BEFORE the movie came out.
10. You liked Phantom of the Opera BEFORE the movie came out.
11. You're stoked when you find F. Murray Abraham might be coming to Berkeley (only two hours away from my house!! Yippee!)
12. You can think of this many reasons why you are a Broadway geek.

"The art of Illusion is the art of love; and the art of love is the blood-red heart of the world." - Tony Kushner, "The Illusion"

JBSinger
#198You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/22/07 at 4:26pm

you actually read this board!

sweeneynut Profile Photo
sweeneynut
#199You Know you're a B'way geek when...
Posted: 2/22/07 at 6:32pm

When you attempt to read all of the thousands/millions of results on Google about your favorite Broadway actor/actress, and get angry when you discover google only allows you to view the first 1000 results. (Yes, I read 1000 results. And also got very angry when I couldn't read any more. What's the point of telling us there are 30 billion results if we can't read all of them? False advertising! /rant)

"My muffin top is all that/whole grain and low-fat/I know you want a piece of that/But I just wanna dance!"

Videos