COVID Cancellations

dwwst12 Profile Photo
dwwst12
#1975COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/8/22 at 9:21am

Non-scientific observation, but could turn out to be a relevant trend: All of the shows affected so far are new ones, I think? Macbeth, A Strange Loop, Suffs, Plaza Suite, and Paradise Square. So far (knock on all the wood), none of the companies that went through Omicron together are having trouble. Hopefully that continues.

bwayplays
#1976COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/8/22 at 9:28am

dwwst12 said: "Non-scientific observation, but could turn out to be a relevant trend: All of the shows affected so far are new ones, I think? Macbeth, A Strange Loop, Suffs, Plaza Suite, and Paradise Square. So far (knock on all the wood), none of the companies that went through Omicron together are having trouble. Hopefully that continues."

I noticed that too. There was over overlap between Hadestown and Macbeth being Amber Grey. But Amber’s helping Hadestown was almost a month ago so I don’t think if she got covid now could be blamed on the few Hadestown dates she was helping out in March. Hopefully that makes sense. As I was writing I was making myself confused haha 

JasonC3
#1977COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/8/22 at 12:46pm

From the New York Times:

"While much of the United States has reported a plateau in coronavirus cases in recent weeks, New York City and Washington, D.C., have been battling a swift rise in cases in the last two weeks as the virus has again upended Broadway and the halls of the federal government.

Cases have doubled in Washington and have risen about 60 percent in New York City since the last week of March, according to New York Times databases. Although caseloads have been relatively low in the weeks since the Omicron surge receded, the highly contagious BA.2 subvariant is contributing to a new wave in some places, especially in the Northeast."

BCfitasafiddle
#1978COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/8/22 at 12:48pm

Any idea if Plaza Suite or Paradise Square will be back this weekend? Was hoping to see one or the other.

MadsonMelo
#1979COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/8/22 at 12:52pm

As far as I know, Paradise will be playing tonight but without 2 principals

Damiensta
#1980COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/8/22 at 1:35pm

I got Tdf email that Paradise Square Sunday performance is cancelled. I assume that they are closing for couple of days then .

mattmarkowski99 Profile Photo
mattmarkowski99
#1981COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/8/22 at 1:52pm

Telecharge is no longer selling tickets for the rest of this week's performances for Paradise Square. Next available performance to purchase is Tuesday, April 12.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#1982COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/8/22 at 2:02pm

Damiensta said: "I got Tdf email that Paradise Square Sunday performance is cancelled. I assume that they are closing for couple of days then ."

Correct.

BdwyFan
#1983COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/8/22 at 2:18pm

Does anyone know what costs are still incurred when a show shuts down for a week?  Say, for Paradise Square. I’m curious.  This must cut deeply into the reserve? How much approx?

bwayplays
#1984COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/8/22 at 2:23pm

BroadwayRox3588 said: "Doubtfireperformances cancelled today.

Really starting to wonder how Broadway stays open through the winter. This is becoming a daily occurrence.
"

There’s a spike in covid cases this week. A few stand alone outside of this week. It’s not a daily occurrence. Relax. 

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#1985COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/8/22 at 3:48pm

@BdwyFan I don't know specifics on this show but precious little of the fixed costs would be reduced. Costs based on percentages would, of course, reduce in line with the reduced revenue. Paradise Square  is a special case because the grosses have been so low to begin with. It's unimaginable that the show was not already running on fumes. The likely loss last week must've been hovering around a half million. So in that sense the show has less to lose than others. I was expecting a closing notice shortly before and now one has to wonder if this is not the final straw. 

@bdwyplays Also worth noting (and as has been rehearsed before) the cancellations are all new shows (including in 2 cases at least the loss of major star attractions), which means that the issue is not so much the spike as the fact that the shows either do not have enough coverage to mount their shows yet, or can't hold onto audiences without stars, or both.

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#1986COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/8/22 at 6:27pm

bwayplays said: "BroadwayRox3588 said: "Doubtfireperformances cancelled today.

Really starting to wonder how Broadway stays open through the winter. This is becoming a daily occurrence.
"

There’s a spike in covid cases this week. A few stand alone outside of this week. It’s not a daily occurrence. Relax.
"

Given that the post you're quoting/responding to was from December, I am pleased to inform you that I am quite relaxed. Appreciate your concern, though. :)

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#1987COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/8/22 at 6:50pm

Lolz

bwayplays
#1988COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/8/22 at 8:07pm

Haha that’s actually hilarious! For whatever reason every single post is showing up as new from today even if they’re older. Glad to know you’re relaxed still lol

MemorableUserName
#1989COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/9/22 at 6:34pm

At the Wedding through April 17

https://twitter.com/MichaelPaulson/status/1512828237902139398

Updated On: 4/9/22 at 06:34 PM

MemorableUserName
dwwst12 Profile Photo
dwwst12
#1991COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/10/22 at 5:11pm

Agh. First world problems, of course.... but this first preview is creeping ever closer to my Saturday tix! First trip to NYC in three years, and have a bunch of tickets. so just hoping for the best.

I'm sure many monitoring this thread are in the same boat!

Broadwaybuff17
#1992COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/10/22 at 11:00pm

Did Aladdin on broadway cancel last night?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1993COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/10/22 at 11:01pm

Broadwaybuff17 said: "Did Aladdin on broadway cancel last night?"

Yes, but it was due to a technical difficulty, not COVID (and thank god for that).

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 4/10/22 at 11:01 PM

Broadwaybuff17
#1994COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/10/22 at 11:13pm

This stuff never happened pre covid… what a mess

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#1995COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/11/22 at 1:06am

Broadwaybuff17 said: "This stuff never happened pre covid… what a mess"

What stuff?

MemorableUserName
#1996COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/11/22 at 10:36am

I don't think it's been noted that Macbeth went ahead and canceled tonight as well (announced yesterday):

https://twitter.com/macbethbway/status/1513265872793706508

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1997COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/11/22 at 10:39am

Paradise Square isn't returning until April 16. Jeez.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1998COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/11/22 at 10:55am

Broadwaybuff17 said: "This stuff never happened pre covid… what a mess"

Yes, before Covid there were no cancellations due to Covid.  Imagine that.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

kidmanboy Profile Photo
kidmanboy
#1999COVID performance cancellation
Posted: 4/11/22 at 2:51pm

And the were, indeed, delayed first previews and technical or sick cancellations.  I was subject to them quite a few times! 

Videos