pixeltracker

FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 84

FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#2075FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/21/22 at 9:39pm

bwayphreak234 said: "Highland Guy said: "The Distinctive Baritone said: "I'm sure she is having a very tough time with the reviews and not even getting nominated for the Tony"

I don't care. Feldman is solely responsibe for her reviews and for not being nominated for a Tony Award.

^ THIS. I'm sorry, but she is not good in the role. At all. She is totally wrong for the part, and can't pull it off. FWIW, I don't care how she (or any other performer for that matter) got the role or if they auditioned or not, what I care about is the performance that is given to paying audiences. I have a hard time feeling sorry for her for getting bad reviews and not getting a Tony nomination after I suffered through her lackluster performance.

"

Back at the August Wilson - the ''greater star'' is on tonight and again tomorrow for the Sunday matinee.Don't miss Julie Benko as Fanny!  FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#2076FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/22/22 at 1:04pm

Julie Benko is Fanny Brice  - heart FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 5/22/22 at 01:04 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#2077FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/23/22 at 7:38pm

Robbie2 said: "bwayphreak234 said: "Highland Guy said: "The Distinctive Baritone said: "I'm sure she is having a very tough time with the reviews and not even getting nominated for the Tony"

I don't care. Feldman is solely responsibe for her reviews and for not being nominated for a Tony Award.

^ THIS. I'm sorry, but she is not good in the role. At all. She is totally wrong for the part, and can't pull it off. FWIW, I don't care how she (or any other performer for that matter) got the role or if they auditioned or not, what I care about is the performance that is given to paying audiences. I have a hard time feeling sorry for her for getting bad reviews and not getting a Tony nomination after I suffered through her lackluster performance.

"

Back at the August Wilson - the ''greater star'' is on tonight and again tomorrow for the Sunday matinee.Don't miss Julie Benko as Fanny!FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
"

Thanks to this incredible company and especially to

@raminkarimloo for the most magical weekend  FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

bk
#2078FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/23/22 at 7:43pm

I'm baffled as to why they wouldn't give the reason for the absences. Most shows will say the performer has the flu or a cold in the case of unscheduled misses. The silence here is deafening. 

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#2079FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/23/22 at 9:10pm

Dare I ask if there were any rumors as to why Lea Michele wasn't considered for this? Seeing she has a prior relationship with the director?

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#2080FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/25/22 at 11:26am

Everything about this production baffles  me.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2081FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/25/22 at 11:28am

Any word if Julie is on Weds 5/25 evening, too? Or just the matinee?

Peter C Yeager
#2082FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/25/22 at 11:35am

Just the matinee today.

TheatreFan

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2083FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/25/22 at 11:36am

No they dont.  That decision has to come from the actor.  They can't reveal medical info without permission.  And, it's really none of our business - we don't have to like her absences, but it simply isn't something we deserve to know about.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2084FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/25/22 at 11:38am

As for any talk about Beanie's family bankrolling the production...there are still 40 co-producer entities billed above the title, including 5 people on that second line who probably invested close to $1M each. So even if the Feldsteins invested something in the production –– which they have every right to do –– it can't have been significant, and certainly wasn't anything close to a majority of the $15M capitalization.

Observation
#2085FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/25/22 at 12:35pm

I say this as someone who is not in NYC and follows things I'd say maybe a little bit closer than most people.

I was scrolling through some earlier posts. When it was announced Beanie would be Fanny she was doing the circuit talking about it, even on Fallon. I would think she'd be doing the same rounds with performances or interviews about it, but it really does feel like the show opened to not so great reviews, specifically directed towards Beanie, this show, and her have kind of fallen off the radar. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2086FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/25/22 at 1:22pm

Interesting how there is zero mention nor content of Benko on the FUNNY GIRL Instagram account.  Other shows have posted about their swings and understudies (emphasizing how important it is for “the show must go on” mantra), but FUNNY GIRL never mentioned Ramin’s COVID tenure, nor saluting his standby, etc.

BCfitasafiddle
#2087FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/25/22 at 1:28pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Interesting how there is zero mention nor content of Benko on the FUNNY GIRL Instagram account. Other shows have posted about their swings and understudies (emphasizing how important it is for “the show must go on” mantra), but FUNNY GIRL never mentioned Ramin’s COVID tenure, nor saluting his standby, etc."

I noticed that as well. When Benko goes on the social media accounts stop posting until Beanie is back. Even something like sharing people's stories with playbill pictures from their seat. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2088FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/25/22 at 1:30pm

This is just a really weird situation all around.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

JSquared2
#2089FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/25/22 at 1:46pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Interesting how there is zero mention nor content of Benko on the FUNNY GIRL Instagram account. Other shows have posted about their swings and understudies (emphasizing how important it is for “the show must go on” mantra), but FUNNY GIRL never mentioned Ramin’s COVID tenure, nor saluting his standby, etc."

You really need to give it a rest and move on with your life.  There are no "conspiracies", and we all know you HATE Beanie's performance.  Find another hobby.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#2090FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/25/22 at 1:50pm

Any word on this getting a cast recording?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Papi2013
#2091FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/25/22 at 2:12pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Any word on this getting a cast recording?"

Would you want to listen to that?

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2092FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/25/22 at 3:21pm

JSquared2 said: "You really need to give it a rest and move on with your life. There are no "conspiracies", and we all know you HATE Beanie's performance. Find another hobby.”

I saw the 2nd preview (Monday March 28) and posted a detailed review.  I loved Beanie.  Even laughed my ass off at certain comic moments. My review clearly states this.  I was the first to suggest they modify the keys to accommodate her vocal range as I saw clearly she does have a nice voice and a beautiful vibrato.  It was only when she had to hit a range that didn’t suit her that she went into that painful nasal sound.

Check your facts before coming at me, beotch. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#2093FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/25/22 at 5:56pm

Not as interesting as Babs getting Lainie fired.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#2094FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/25/22 at 8:30pm

In a season of the covers’ triumph, I saw them in 9 out of 14 performances, it is worth noting how rarely this production honors its indefatigable standby, who has now played 9 performances in the early weeks of the run. It’s not conspiracy driven speculation; it’s now part of this show’s launch. And it’s a commercial success story, since the substitutions have not eroded box office. This production is a hit and seems to be able to sustain without the four stars playing. It’s good news for Funny Girl, good news for Broadway, an industry that learned to celebrate the value of standbys and understudies this challenging season. There’s clearly a healthy demand for this show, whoever is playing Brice. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#2095FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/27/22 at 3:46pm

Funny Girl Broadway Revival Review: Beanie Feldstein Doesn't Hit Every Bam But She Is Funny

Beanie Feldstein's singing leaves something to be desired, but her Funny Girl performance is otherwise memorable.

https://www.slashfilm.com/848508/funny-girl-broadway-revival-review-beanie-feldstein-doesnt-hit-every-bam-but-she-is-funny/

For me personally, Beanie is indeed Funny and Charming - Funnier and more charming than Julie Benko (caught her matinee show May 1) having a trained stronger and beautiful voice that's able to handle the constraints of the score! Julie's Fanny is entertaining and her physicality to Brice is uncanny but the comedic punches don't seem to come naturally for her as they do for Beanie. Two totally different performances but I liked Beanie actually more despite having the weaker voice-somewhat pretty sounding but nasally. I laughed more during Beanie's performance especially ''You Are Woman, I am Man'' and  ''Rat-Tat-Tat-Tat'' and also enjoyed the show a bit more with her this time from the front row mezzanine than side orchestra row M! Ramin is very good and Jared Grimes has grown more in the role and shines in every scene and his tap dancing is the highlight of the show! Show had a technical glitch last night for around 10 minutes prior to ''His Love Makes Me Beautiful''.

Also, crowd was ecstatic for Beanie! Beanie is a ''Funny Girl'' and it works with her my husband said as we left the show! That seems to be the general consensus from the audience overheard exiting the August Wilson.

https://www.slashfilm.com/848508/funny-girl-broadway-revival-review-beanie-feldstein-doesnt-hit-every-bam-but-she-is-funny/

Updated On: 5/28/22 at 03:46 PM

Joviedamian
#2096FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/27/22 at 4:58pm

As for any talk about Beanie's family bankrolling the production...there are still 40 co-producer entities billed above the title, including 5 people on that second line who probably invested close to $1M each. So even if the Feldsteins invested something in the production –– which they have every right to do –– it can't have been significant, and certainly wasn't anything close to a majority of the $15M capitalization.

Correct, but depending on their written contact, they too could have a final casting say. Which could explain why she was cast. We also don't really know how much of the money they did put up front. The only way to know (and we never will) is if her father and brother were NOT producers, and she was still cast. 

JSquared2
#2097FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/27/22 at 6:33pm

Joviedamian said: "As for any talk about Beanie's family bankrolling the production...there are still 40 co-producer entities billed above the title, including 5 people on that second line who probably invested close to $1M each. So even if the Feldsteins investedsomethingin the production –– which they have every right to do –– it can't have been significant, and certainly wasn't anything close to a majority of the $15M capitalization.

Correct, but depending on their written contact, they too could have a final casting say. Which could explain why she was cast. We also don't really know how much of the money they did put up front. The only way to know (and we never will) is if her father and brother were NOT producers, and she was still cast.
"

Investors (now also referred to as "co-producers"FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread don't even get a seat at the table when it comes to casting and other creative decisions, let alone "final say".

Updated On: 5/29/22 at 06:33 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#2098FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/27/22 at 7:18pm

Penna2 said: "RuthLipschitz said: "I am not a Beanie hater or invested emotionally in this show in any way to promote it. But there is a good reason this revival received only one Tony nomination: the lead is miscast.

Beanie is not a terrific singer and audiences love this because of the memory of the songs. It has nostalgic appeal.

I feel bad for Ramin. He deserved better. Sounds like most of you agree.
"

To Ramin's credit, he is doing his own thing and using this show to develop his talents (never danced before) and seems to be having fun with it. The comic bit with the couch was his invention and introduced into the show over the initial objections of the director - they wanted him to be sophisticated. His wife even asked him how he did the trick (she was a dancer). The refreshing thing about Ramin is his humility and willingness to learn...and, even after 20 years or so in the business, still being surprised that people want to hire him!

"

The comic bit with the couch was his invention and introduced into the show over the initial objections of the director - they wanted him to be sophisticated.

^This garnered lots of laughs last night....lots!

He replied
#2099FUNNY GIRL on Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/29/22 at 1:58pm

Funny Girl is a musical. It’s not a musical comedy. To have a lead (of essentially a one woman show) who excels at the comedy yet falters musically is unfortunately miscast. Feldstein is a very capable comedienne. Fantastic. Cast her in a comedy. 

When did we collectively decide to lower the bar? Theatre is art. Singing is art. Dancing is art. Acting is art. When did entertainment become paramount to technique and talent? 

Broadway should be the pinnacle of performance art. Young artists should see performing on a Broadway stage as the holy grail. A goal earned by mastering and honing a craft. 

I sat in the seat and sighed. It’s less. Just less. All kinda. 

McKechnie in A Chorus Line was thrilling.

Murphy in Passion was spellbinding.

Lupone in Evita was electric.

McDonald in Lady Day was breathtaking.

ART.

Feldstein is meh. 

Videos