News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

She's Back! CARRIE - First preview !!! - Page 9

She's Back! CARRIE - First preview !!!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#200Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 2/1/12 at 11:03am

I never thought you could do a wildebeest stampede on a Broadway stage and have it be thrilling and highly effective until I saw Julie Taymor's work in "Lion King." She broke through a lot of those "you can't do that on stage" moments in the show.

She would know how to burn down a gym without resulting to pyrotechnics.

Maybe that's what this show needs. Julie Taymor. I wish I were kidding, too.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#201Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 2/1/12 at 11:04am

There were obviously a lot of people there last night who were very pumped to see CARRIE back on the stage. The show began with huge anticipation and some even applauded songs as they recocnized them. I would say that excitement started at an 11 but by the middle of act 2 was down to a 6. But yes, it got a standing ovation but I wouldn't call it a whole hearted one.

Marin and Molly do a joint curtain call.

I think the buzz afterwards was mixed. I did hear the composer mention to someone that they 'still have a lot of work to do;' which is a good sign.

They did not acknowledge Piper Laurie outside of the press interviews she conducted outside the theatre before the show.

Updated On: 2/1/12 at 11:04 AM

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#202Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 2/1/12 at 11:14am

Updated On: 2/1/12 at 11:14 AM

a-mad
#203Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 2/1/12 at 11:15am

Thanks MB... information appreciated.

I figured it got a standing ovation... but no one had mentioned it, so because of the overall "meh-ness" on the board, I thought I should at least check.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#204Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 2/1/12 at 12:08pm

The audio shows that the audience seemed behind the show for most of the night. I have to say i think the show sounds fantastic, i would make Eve Was Weak slower (and Marin needs to sing it out more, she sounds like she speaks through most of it). The only song i would cut is The World According to Chris which is dire (even with a very impressive ensemble). The book scenes work much better and everything is much more fleshed out and lines got laughs (humour is still in the show). The feel of the show however is much darker, sometimes quite chilling. I remember is STUNNING and the audience really reacted to it in a big way from what i can tell on the audio. The sound effects and music in the prom are brilliant with the fire alarm going off throughout and hearing those flames.

I would not really say it sounds Spring Awakening, it just sounds more up to date. Also the vocal arranger has done an incredible job, the ensemble (especially on IN) our fantastic.

Oh and please don’t ask for the audio because I won’t give it out as it was given to me in good faith, though I’m sure he will be happy too

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Visceral_Fella
#205Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 2/1/12 at 12:28pm

Even though I had a lot of problems with the show, I can't stop thinking about it. There's something about it that's mysterious and haunting. I'm going to have to see it again.

This show has so much potential, I really want it to become what I know it can be.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#206Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 2/1/12 at 12:29pm

songanddanceman-

Not to undermine you, but the audiences at 99% of first previews, on or off-Broadway are always crazy. If you judged how much audiences like a show by a first preview audio then [tos] would be the greatest hit Broadway has seen in 10 years.

The sound was Spring Awakening-esque, but much more than the orchestrations was the direction in this vein. The chairs looked almost exactly like the classroom chairs used in SA, only painted black. The choreography was very similar too. It was more of a vibe the show gave off than the orchestrations in particular. If only they had been using handheld mics it would have been identical in spots.

Edit- I admit I'm thinking about it a bit too, but mainly in ways I think it can change for the better. The really good news is, in my opinion, despite a somewhat negative reaction there is stuff that can be easily fixed.

Molly Ranson alone makes it worth a visit to the show. Like I said above she's pretty stunning. If the creative team was heard saying they have lots of work to do, then good! It gives me hope that changes for the better will occur, and I'll be 100% making a repeat visit to see what they accomplish.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!
Updated On: 2/1/12 at 12:29 PM

Michael Bennett
#207Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 2/1/12 at 12:31pm

Again, the show 'sounds' fine. The issues with what I and most others are suggesting are directorial.

CARRIE will probably ALWAYS work best as an audio listen in which your imagination can fill in the blanks and you aren't confronted with the visual difficulties of putting the story on stage.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#208Less than a week until CARRIE comes back to NYC
Posted: 2/1/12 at 12:34pm

For some reason, the Spring Awakening vibe and this Stephen King story just combined in my mind:

"King Awakening"

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#209A Carrie Without Blood Is Like Show Boat Without a Boat
Posted: 2/1/12 at 12:50pm

Oh, well. Anyone for a revival of Moose Murders?

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#210A Carrie Without Blood Is Like Show Boat Without a Boat
Posted: 2/1/12 at 12:56pm

PJ- I've always wanted the MUFTIs to do a series of plays like Moose Murders, Me Jack You Jill and Ring Round the Bathtub. It would be a fun change of pace from their usual fare for one season.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#211A Carrie Without Blood Is Like Show Boat Without a Boat
Posted: 2/1/12 at 1:02pm

Pumped to see CARRIE back on stage?

The response on this board to this flop musical from the eighties (aka the new Golden Age for musicals) has bypassed "pumped" altogether and gone straight to something resembling co-dependence.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

iluvtheatertrash
#212A Carrie Without Blood Is Like Show Boat Without a Boat
Posted: 2/1/12 at 1:05pm

I'm seeing CARRIE next week and very much looking forward, though from what I've heard, it seems like they were really afraid to "go there".

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman
Updated On: 2/1/12 at 01:05 PM

Ed_Mottershead
#213A Carrie Without Blood Is Like Show Boat Without a Boat
Posted: 2/1/12 at 1:07pm

I saw Moose Murders at one of the two performances that Eve Arden gave. The play was awful but I had a great time anyway because the audience was full of middle-aged people who remembered Our Miss Brooks. The look on their faces at intermission was priceless.

BroadwayEd

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#214A Carrie Without Blood Is Like Show Boat Without a Boat
Posted: 2/1/12 at 1:09pm

Shame on Lance Jonathan for making me sound like a stoned Muppet! A Carrie Without Blood Is Like Show Boat Without a Boat

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#215A Carrie Without Blood Is Like Show Boat Without a Boat
Posted: 2/1/12 at 1:11pm

"...the audiences at 99% of first previews, on or off-Broadway are always crazy."

They certainly were last night, but not nearly so much as some over-enthusiastic fans I've had the misfortune to sit near in the past.

It's a plea for deaf ears, but - if you really love a show, you're not making it pleasurable for others by being too vocal.

FindingNamo
#216A Carrie Without Blood Is Like Show Boat Without a Boat
Posted: 2/1/12 at 1:12pm

I was with him until he DIDN'T make you sound like Janice, but rather Audrey II.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#217A Carrie Without Blood Is Like Show Boat Without a Boat
Posted: 2/1/12 at 1:48pm

Lots of great comments since I tuned out last eve. I'm looking forward to hearing about the changes as the preview period splatters on.

As for that audio recording, well.... I understand that my moniker begs to be made fun of... but couldn't he at least have used one of my zingers? A Carrie Without Blood Is Like Show Boat Without a Boat

Also about the Terry Hands production -- I'm not as forgiving of it as some are around here. Sure, he took chances -- but that racquet ball court of a set was just wrong from the get go.

FindingNamo
#218A Carrie Without Blood Is Like Show Boat Without a Boat
Posted: 2/1/12 at 2:08pm

Please do not minimize the set's versatility. It was a racquet ball court with an electric garage door opener.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#219A Carrie Without Blood Is Like Show Boat Without a Boat
Posted: 2/1/12 at 2:12pm

LOLOL Namo. And gawd knows they parked a hundred ridiculous choices in that garage.

Michael Bennett
#220A Carrie Without Blood Is Like Show Boat Without a Boat
Posted: 2/1/12 at 2:25pm

Excuse me, It was a raquetball court with an electric garage door opener, a big white stair case AND a flat of home depot hardwood.

They also had lasers.

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#221A Carrie Without Blood Is Like Show Boat Without a Boat
Posted: 2/1/12 at 2:27pm

"They also had lasers."

HA!

And boring ones at that. Does anyone know what the deal was with that shower curtain that came down as the main drape during the destruction? I always kind of thought it was to protect the audience's eyes, but then I read somewhere that 'blood was splattered on it', which I don't recall being the case at all.

Updated On: 2/1/12 at 02:27 PM

Michael Bennett
#222A Carrie Without Blood Is Like Show Boat Without a Boat
Posted: 2/1/12 at 2:29pm

Its still better than what they do in this revival. Actually they do the same staging this time, only without the lasers, shower curtain, smoke or white staircase.

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#223A Carrie Without Blood Is Like Show Boat Without a Boat
Posted: 2/1/12 at 2:33pm

When a show completely DIED previously, is the next mounting a revival or a resuscitation?

I think that white staircase happens spontaneously anytime Hugh Jackman enters a room.

Updated On: 2/1/12 at 02:33 PM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#224A Carrie Without Blood Is Like Show Boat Without a Boat
Posted: 2/1/12 at 2:37pm

The first sin was intercourse! Say it, woman!

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Videos