pixeltracker

On The Twentieth Century Previews- Page 9

On The Twentieth Century Previews

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#200On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 8:22am

That's so strange! Ripple down effect? Danger? What exactly were they talking about?

EDIT: Danger because of the moving parts, I understand now.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/ON-THE-TWENTIETH-CENTURY-Cancels-Saturday-Night-Show-Due-to-Ill-Peter-Gallagher-Kristin-Chenoweth-Performs-for-Sold-Out-Audience-20150221

Updated On: 2/22/15 at 08:22 AM

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#201On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 9:38am

Does KC come out after matinees? We're aiming for a matinee.

BIG BALONEY Profile Photo
BIG BALONEY
#202On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 10:03am

Singing Smile was just a slap in the face to the suffering audience. A full house at 8:00 P.M. was told there would be no show would have caused a riot 120 years ago.The theater would have been burned down and those actors that didn't flee would have been tar and feathered. Ah ! The good olde days.

rjm516
#203On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 10:06am

So it was because the understudy wasn't fully rehearsed? Isn't a preview...a perfect time to rehearse him??

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#204On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 10:10am

As far as anyone knows is today's matinee still on or will they not offer any information until the audience has arrived and taken their seats? Seems like this would be an great opportunity for the dopes at Roundabout to take to their Twitter or Facebook accounts and offer some information or reassurance.

Naw... not Roundabout.

de_lovely Profile Photo
de_lovely
#205On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 10:24am

Called in to get my hiptix from last night exchanged. The man at the box office last night said they would be understanding and try to get me a hiptix soon, but the person I spoke to today was unsympathetic and said they could only sell me the designated hiptix tickets that they had left, first availability being in April.

I want to try and see it sooner so I'll probably just do tkts. But this whole thing is very unimpressive from them and I'm pretty bitter about the show now.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#206On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 10:40am

if they do decide to pull a Pal Joey, I'm sure Matthew Risch is available. Now that he and Mantello are no longer together, I'll wager he's got a lot of free time...

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#207On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 11:24am

I'm NOT intentionally speaking ill of Mr. Gallagher, BUT...

With the buzz not exactly being "all that kind" coming out of the first week's worth of previews, could we (possibly) see a replacement in the works? I just get this sinking feeling that we're going to have another PAL JOEY situation on our hands.

I do not mean to speak ill either, but I wish Douglas Sills were available; he's doing "Living On Love".

FindingNamo
#208On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 11:35am

Call Scott Bakula.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

ebontoyan
#209On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 11:51am

They should promote Andy Karl to the Peter Gallagher role during the entire show run!!! :)

promisespromises2
#210On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 12:37pm

The show is back on with Peter's understudy today.

ajh
#211On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 1:48pm

Haven't seen this yet but was just wondering if the reason why Peter Gallagher has proved vocally disappointing to a number of preview attendees might be that he has been sick from the get-go, and his singing will improve immeasurably after he has rested up. People can sing through colds and flu, but as has been noted repeatedly the demands of this score are pretty taxing. Either way, I am looking forward to seeing him.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#212On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 3:35pm

glad the show was able to go on today. They must have been rehearsing with James Moye all morning(& Ben Crawford who u/s Moye's role).

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ck12 Profile Photo
ck12
#213On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 4:19pm

Hey NEWINTOWN since he attended the independent spirit awards in hollywood last night after the movie he starred in was nominated and having been a part of Looking season 2 and with a recurring role on Modern Family, my bets are that he actually is indeed busy. Also since he essentially saved Pal Joey at the last minute, OT20C would be lucky to have him.

Updated On: 2/22/15 at 04:19 PM

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#214On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 4:42pm

I'd love to hear what Jeff McCarthy's voice could do with the material, personally.

JMPlayer6 Profile Photo
JMPlayer6
#215On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 5:13pm

A short while ago, I emerged from today's matinee. I am not sure of why Gallagher's understudy could not have gone on last night for "danger" reasons. But if he was unprepared to go on for insufficient rehearsals, then that is another story.

That all said, I thought he did a very good job. Chenoweth clearly acknowledged him during the curtain call.

POSSIBLE SPOILER
In the latter part of Act 2, his character (and others) were trying to push a contract onto Chenowth's character to sign. That gave him a pretty logical reason to be carrying papers around with him for a good part of the time. It was clear to me that he was consulting the scipt during some of this time. It was well disguished, though, and I imagine most people did not pick up on this.

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#216On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 5:31pm

I image what they meant with "ripple down effect" is, that it doesn't only concern Peter Gallagher's understudy.James Moye is an understudy, not a stand-by, a swing must be able to go into his normal track as well. Maybe that posed a problem in addition James not being fully rehearsed yet.
Like somebody said before, I assume they rehearsed until the very last minute last night, trying to full it of, but eventually had to admit it wasn't possible. Of course that's terrible for the audience but I wouldn't want to be in the understudies shoes.
I heard he rehearsed all last night and this morning and I'm glad to hear that he did a great job this afternoon!

As far as seating and view goes, I've seen Violet from General Rush seats in that theater last year, Rear Side Mezz, the view was okay but not great. I'd sat Row D Center in the Mezz a few days earlier (HipTix) and that was fantastic!
For cheap-ish Orch seats, you can sign up for HipTix Gold (costs $75 once), and then pay the normal $25 for your tickets. That still makes it much cheaper than normal tickets and you can get Orch seats for all Roundabout shows for a year.

The reason why the shows doesn't sell out completely is entirely Roundabout's fault. Most of front center orch section was never on sale to the public. It was explained to me that block it for subscribers, and only release the seats 1-3 days in advance if they are not taken up. Hence those scattered empty seats. Pretty annoying.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#217On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 7:50pm

remember, it wasn't just Moye needing to go on for Gallagher. There was also the factor of Ben Crawford covering Moye's role and Preston Truman Boyd covering Crawford's track. So I'm sure in general there's been very little u/s rehearsal time.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#218On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 9:09pm

I was there this afternoon as well. James Moye, after a tentative beginning, was terrific; he sang it beautifully, and with more rehearsal could/would be a dynamite Oscar.

It's Kristin Chenoweth's show though, and she is absolutely brilliant. It's the perfect marriage of actress and role; she knows it and appears to be having a ball with it. Having seen the wonderful, if inconsistent, Madeline Kahn, I imagine Cheno's performance is what Hal Prince was hoping to get from Kahn and didn't.

I could nitpick here and there, but what would be the point? The show itself is as spectacular, funny and entertaining as the original; one might miss the cinematic sweep of Prince's staging, but Scott Ellis has given us something just as shiny, just as funny, but perhaps a little bit warmer and with a little more heart.

And I left the theater this afternoon with exactly the same high I had when I first saw the show, exactly 37 years ago today, on February 22, 1978.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

After Eight
#219On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 9:19pm

"The show itself is as spectacular, funny and entertaining as the original"

I'm sorry, but....... no.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#220On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 9:25pm

I'm sorry, but yes.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

After Eight
#221On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/22/15 at 9:32pm

^

I'm afraid your memory is failing.

In addition to your judgment.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#222On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/23/15 at 2:07am

After Eight-you seem to delight is controversy.
There is no need to be rude about anothers' opinion-you don't agree-no problem-but no need for personal attacks--you don't know the person and your comments were cruel--you should apologise.

FindingNamo
#223On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/23/15 at 2:14am

Did After Eight see it? Does After Eight see anything?

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

promisespromises2
#224On The Twentieth Century Previews
Posted: 2/23/15 at 2:37am

"The reason why the shows doesn't sell out completely is entirely Roundabout's fault. Most of front center orch section was never on sale to the public. It was explained to me that block it for subscribers, and only release the seats 1-3 days in advance if they are not taken up. Hence those scattered empty seats. Pretty annoying."

Ugh, I know that they do this. We are trying to go Saturday night or Sunday and I've been checking the website everyday. It's amazing how many seats are released the day of in front orchestra. I'm just nervous that it won't work! Woe is me, to be a theatre fan!

Videos