News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews- Page 9

BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#200BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 5:15am

How is someone "woo hoo"ing at a show make it about "them"? I strongly disagree with that. They're showing love to the show and the performance. Actors have said all the time that they feed off of energy - and fans doing that is only a reaction to a noteworthy moment in the show. Be More Chill had a few - Smartphone Hour, Michael In The Bathroom..it wouldn't feel right if people just started golf clapping afterwards.

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#201BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 5:40am

Are those the only two choices? Golf clap or Stan behavior?

Lord I hope not.

Theres a difference between enthusiastic applause and what people are referring to here.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

dramamama611
#202BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 5:40am

Are those the only two choices? Golf clap or Stan behavior?

Lord I hope not.

Theres a difference between enthusiastic applause and what people are referring to here.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

YvanEhtNioj
#203BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 6:22am

I don't think letting out an Audible "woo" cheer after a showstopping number is acting like a Stan. If you're doing it EVERY song, sure. I know I let out a few during the show without hesitation. It was literally just a natural reaction to the moment. I wouldn't at all label myself as a Stan of the show by any means. 

Updated On: 2/21/19 at 06:22 AM

dramamama611
#204BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 8:11am

Im fairly sure the poster wouldnt have classified a single whoop as "look at me" behavior.

After Eight
#205BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 8:36am

Bk wrote:

"Well, I can only speak for myself, but when I hear obnoxious woo-hooing and ostentatious weeping at wailing at shows such as the two you mention, I want to run for the hills because those people are trying to make the show about THEM, which happens frequently at Sondheim shows especially. "

Precisely.

It's all about showing off to everyone around you just how "hip'" or "sensitive," or "in tune" you are. The people beside, behind, or in front of you are either stone-faced or asleep while you're a blubbering mess during "Move On?" Mission accomplished. You've proven to the world just how superior you are to the unenlightened masses. But what about the fact that your self-indulgent carryings on  might disrupt other patrons'  concentration and/or enjoyment of a show? I know--- what a preposterous question! Why care about anyone else, right?

But to me, if obnoxious, attention-grabbing behavior by self-anointed elites is perfectly fine at Sunday in the Park with George, then the same conduct is perfectly fine for the fans/stans at Be More Chill.

I might also add that the performance of Be More Chill that I attended was filled with high-school age students and younger. They were totally focused on what was happening on stage rather than themselves, and were as well behaved as audiences in the long ago.

I can't say the same for the conduct I've witnessed at performances of Follies or Sunday in the Park with George.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#206BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 9:02am

I’m confused. At Sunday In the Park audiences are much more likely to be sleeping than grabbing attention (and I LOVE the show - everyone knows Sondheim is my fav - but it has a very niche audience).

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

YvanEhtNioj
#207BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 9:37am

"
I might also add that the performance of Be More Chill that I attended was filled with high-school age students and younger.Theywere totally focused on what was happening on stage rather than themselves, and were as well behaved as audiences in the long ago.
"

Very that. 100%

I still disagree that a few "woos" is attention seeking. But agree to disagree I suppose. 

Updated On: 2/22/19 at 09:37 AM

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#208BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 9:46am

I think there's something happening here where people equate an audience around them being audibly into a show that they personally don't like as being obnoxious. You're noticing it more because you're not invested. It happened with me at War Horse--gasps at the horses, huge ovations at the end of the first act and the show itself. Clapping throughout for the puppets. I wasn't mad at the audience for loving it so much as I was frustrated that I didn't connect to it as much as they did.

And I felt a similar way at Be More Chill. I think the audience felt maybe a BIT more vocal than at other shows, but I don't believe there's anything inauthentic or show-offy about their appreciation. But hoo boy did I not feel the same. I found it super grating and was really underwhelmed by the cast, especially the lead. I don't know if casting actors within a decade of the age they're playing would have helped, but it certainly couldn't have hurt. And the story just...listen, I'm glad people are loving it, but I haaaaated it. This is a divisive one, and I'm sure we'll be fighting about it for aaaaaaages. Again, I don't begrudge its fans anything. This was simply not for me.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#209BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 9:49am

I'm very aware of this behavior, but never encountered it at any Sondheim shows?!

After Eight
#210BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 10:13am

Qolbinau wrote:

"I’m confused. At Sunday In the Park audiences are much more likely to be sleeping than grabbing attention."

Very true.  With the noticeable exception of the "fine wine connoisseur" aficionados of the show.

"(and I LOVE the show - everyone knows Sondheim is my fav - but it has a very niche audience)."

Yes. A very demonstrative niche audience.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#211BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 11:05am

...I've never encountered anything remotely resembling the Sicilian mourning being described here at any Sondheim show or concert I've ever attended. 

And of course it's After Eight who crawls out of the woodwork to drag a thread entirely unrelated to Sondheim shows to the topic of how much he despises Sondheim fans. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 2/21/19 at 11:05 AM

CPannullo
#212BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 11:16am

Anyone know if George Salazar is back in the show? I am making my way to the show today and would love to catch him in it!

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#213BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 11:42am

haterobics said: "I'm very aware of this behavior, but never encountered it at any Sondheim shows?!"

That's because it doesn't actually happen, except in the mind of one sad troll.

I saw the Off-Broadway production of this at Signature over the summer and enjoyed it very much! I knew nothing about the show ahead of time (except mentions of the fanbase here), I just ushered for it so I got to see it. For all the horror stories I had heard about the fans, they seemed perfectly respectful and while they were enthusiastic it did not feel forced. I thought it was so great that so many young kids were enjoying the theater!

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#214BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 12:08pm

Cape Twirl of Doom said: "For all the horror stories I had heard about the fans, they seemed perfectly respectful and while they were enthusiastic it did not feel forced. I thought it was so great that so many young kids were enjoying the theater!"

Had the same experience, although the exuberance for what they were seeing was often lost on me. I enjoyed it, but wasn't quite sure what was prompting them to react as it often seemed unrelated or oversized compared to what was occurring on the stage.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#215BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 6:07pm

Well, I can only speak for myself, but when I hear obnoxious woo-hooing and ostentatious weeping at wailing at shows such as the two you mention, I want to run for the hills because those people are trying to make the show about THEM, which happens frequently at Sondheim shows especially.

OMG, you noticed this, too?!?!  I could barely hear Donna Murphy's seizure shrieks over all the Passion stans woo-hooing throughout the entire show!  In the middle of I Read, someone yelled, "You go, girl!  READ THAT BOY!"  Jere Shea told me that's why he never stepped foot on Broadway again.  True story.  Sondheim fans are OUT. OF. CONTROL.  I heard it cost $2 million to clean the Winter Garden after closing night Follies because they completely destroyed the place when someone said "it flopped".  Yvonne de Carlo went to high school with my mother-in-law and she said that's why she never stepped foot on Broadway again.  True story.  EVERYONE knows they are all TRASH.  Worst reputations in the entire industry.  Common knowledge.  I even got thrown out of Marie's Crisis for not crying when Seth Rudetsky performed Move On as Audra McDonald impersonating Bernadette Peters.  Can you believe that?  True story.  Look it up if you don't believe me.  There is literally nothing more noisy and chaotic than attending a Sondheim musical in New York.  Literally.  Nothing. 

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

imklepcyk
#216BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 6:19pm

Jesus this is why I can't stand these boards anymore. It's always fighting about stupid ****.

josh147
#217BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 11:45pm

CPannullo said: "Anyone know if George Salazar is back in the show? I am making my way to the show today and would love to catch him in it!"

Saw the show on Wednesday night and he wasn’t back in - but Troy Iwata was AWESOME (he was the only Michael I’ve seen, so nothing to compare it to, but was very happy). Was he George Salazar back in tonight?

rigbyismydog
#218BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/21/19 at 11:52pm

George was back on tonight (2/21/19)

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#219BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/22/19 at 8:01am

haterobics said: "I'm very aware of this behavior, but never encountered it at any Sondheim shows?!"

Me neither. It's purely in the imagination of miserable haters.

Capt Twirl: "That's because it doesn't actually happen, except in the mind of one sad troll."

I counted two on this thread, actually.

Updated On: 2/22/19 at 08:01 AM

After Eight
#220BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/22/19 at 9:20am

"I'm very aware of this behavior, but never encountered it at any Sondheim shows?!"

At a performance of the original production of Sunday in the Park with George that I attended,  the first act was plodding along in its listless, tuneless way (causing, I must say, no little irritation on my part). As the act finally neared its end, a young fellow on the opposite aisle from me decided to channel his inner Toscanini and began conducting in his seat --- with unbridled fervor. Exhorting the orchestra to greatness, his face contorted, his fingers splayed, his hands quivered, his torso bobbed and weaved like a boxer's, his shoulders swayed to and fro like a boat on a roiling sea.

In short, he made a spectacle of himself. 

Once upon a time, to make a spectacle of oneself was considered a no-no.

Now it's a goal.

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#221BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/24/19 at 12:38am

I saw the show’s matinee today (2/23) and George was out again. However, his understudy completely stole the show.

I was really excited to see this show, having enjoyed reading the book back in high school. I have to say, I was very disappointed. It’s really not very good.

This show is like Evan Hansen, Mean Girls, and Little Shop had a baby except that baby didn’t inherit any of the good qualities of its parents.

The only memorable song is “Michael In the Bathroom.” I remember enjoying the opening number, but couldn’t tell you what it was called or how it went. Most of the songs suffer from. I also enjoyed the video game number. But otherwise most of the songs failed to land for me.

Will Roland is very talented, but there was something missing for me. I think it’s something in the writing of the role.

But my biggest issue was with how they handled The Squip. When I read the book I remember being jealous and wanting a Squip. The book made it sound so amazing and the Squip came across so trustworthy. So it made it that much more powerful when things start to go bad.

In the show (which changed a few things about how the story ends) The Squip is immediately sketchy and the whole time you know it’s all bad. I wish there was some decadence and desire with The Squip. Look at roles like The Emcee or Leading Player. There’s something so appealing to them and captivating. (Note: none of this is to the fault of the actor playing the role)

Anyways, I’m ranting at this point. I was very disappointed and won’t be expecting good reviews.

"In here, life is beautiful"

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#222BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/24/19 at 1:06am

While I don't think there will ever be a positive force of love and support for Be More Chill on the boards here, but I absolutely loved the show tonight.

George was on and in perfect voice. The set, costumes, and performances have all been wonderfully updated to fit a Broadway scale. I'm shocked at how well Will Roland has grown into the role, as I thought he was way too over-the-top and out of place at Signature. The show sits great in the Lyceum, and doesn't get swallowed up at all.

The only thing I'd agree with KitKatBoy24 about is the handling of The Squip. Not only do I think is Jason Tam seriously miscast, but this new character voice he's chosen for the Broadway run is baaad.

Other than that, I think the show itself is wonderfully unique & perfectly quirky/campy. Could it lose 15 minutes? Certainly. Is it very odd and not like traditional musicals? Completely. But I think it just comes down to a matter of taste and personal preference. For example, I find The Prom a poorly written chore to sit through, but most people adore that show. So who am I to say. It's a weird season for new musicals, and I imagine Hadestown will be just as divisive with audiences, some of which will think it's dull as hell.

Let those who love Be More Chill love it, and if you don't, that's totally fair. But to have such a fun show about losers on Broadway is an underdog story that I can't pass up.

Updated On: 2/24/19 at 01:06 AM

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#223BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/24/19 at 6:03am

I also feel like Be More Chill is trying really hard to be a hit and be current/contemporary, which is exactly the opposite of the message the show is trying to get across.

I really wanted to love this one BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews

"In here, life is beautiful"

massofmen
#224BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/24/19 at 6:44am

i cannot wait to see another musical about teenagers whining about how difficult their lives are. 

IM SO EXCITED!!!!

Videos