jlindsey865
#200NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/8/21 at 9:47pm

Victor Garber as FDR?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#201NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 8:37am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Harry-Connick-Jr-Joins-ANNIE-LIVE-as-Oliver-Daddy-Warbucks-20210628

Harry Connick Jr will play Warbucks

BCfitasafiddle
#202NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 8:39am

Uhh... interesting. I've never wanted to see him with a shaved head, but I guess we have no choice. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#203NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 8:44am

Tag said: "McArdle has got to be Lily right?"

She’s pushing 60 and a hard-looking 60 at that.  Lily is a young floozy.  McArdle would be a perfectly cast Mrs. Pugh, who runs the Warbucks Fifth Avenue compound.  

barcelona20
#204NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 9:05am

BCfitasafiddle said: "Uhh... interesting. I've never wanted to see him with a shaved head, but I guess we have no choice."

Why must he shave his head?

iluvtheatertrash
#205NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 9:08am

It could just be a bald cap. Either way, Daddy Warbucks is iconically bald, hardening back to the comics.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

BCfitasafiddle
#206NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 9:18am

iluvtheatertrash said: "It could just be a bald cap. Either way, Daddy Warbucks is iconically bald, hardening back to the comics."

With it being a large scale production like this, they're going to have the signature look I'm sure.

BwayLB
#207NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 9:21am

I keep getting more surprised.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#208NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 9:22am

Curious who they will get to play Grace.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#209NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 9:43am

barcelona20 said: "BCfitasafiddle said: "Uhh... interesting. I've never wanted to see him with a shaved head, but I guess we have no choice."

Why must he shave his head?
"

This is why.

NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season

iluvtheatertrash
#210NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 9:56am

Absolutely agree, BC.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Dollypop
#211NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 10:44am

With Connick playing Warbucks, the score will have to be adjusted. I'm a baritone with a good top and played Warbucks for a summer. I really had to "reach" to get the higher notes. I don't think Connick will fare any better.

Warbucks is far from my favorite role.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#212NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 11:13am

If Annie is a person of color (as many of us suspect she'll be) or if they are otherwise deviating from the comic strip look of the character, there's no reason why Warbucks would have to be bald. ANNIE as a musical is now much better-known than ANNIE the comic strip.

Connick will be good in this part. Both he and Henson are really promising casting so far.

barcelona20
#213NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 11:16am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "If Annie is a person of color (as many of us suspect she'll be) or if they are otherwise deviating from the comic strip look of the character, there's no reason why Warbucks wouldhaveto be bald. ANNIE as a musical is now much better-known than ANNIE the comic strip.

Connick will be good in this part. Both he and Henson are really promising casting so far.
"

Should have just gone with Christopher Jackson.

BwayLB
#214NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 11:25am

^ James Monroe Iglehart

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#215NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 11:29am

Both are better than Harry ^^^

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#216NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 11:37am

While I don't think Annie will be a poc of color, I think the rest of the cast absolutely will be with the casting of Harry. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#217NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 12:21pm

Christopher Jackson and JM Iglehart are talented but mean virtually nothing compared to Harry. Remember, this is catering to a network TV audience. Taraji + Harry are appealing to middle-America moms.

Though I suppose if Annie is a POC, that could create a "white savior" narrative so...who knows! We'll find out this fall.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#218NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 2:53pm

Firstly, I think the Connick casting is questionable. He's got the golden voice, and the score can certainly be transposed to fit his range, but the acting still has to be proven. When we last saw him on B'way in the most recent revival of On a Clear Day You Can See Forever, he was absolutely lifeless.

Also, I think NBC is starting to get themselves in a bit of a sticky situation. If Annie is indeed a POC as many on these boards are hoping, a problem will arise as the "white savior trope" now comes into play, as Ermengarde just mentioned. On the flip side, I believe POCs will be pissed and call NBC out if Annie ends up being Caucasian, dodging the trope. No matter what happens from here, Annie Live! will be caught in a web of controversy, like the highly-publicized 1997 revival (which coincidentally, also had a POC Hannigan).

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 6/28/21 at 02:53 PM

SouthernCakes
#219NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 3:36pm

I think he will keep his hair! It’s kind of a signature of his.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#220NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 3:46pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Curious who they will get to play Grace."

I could see it being Jessie Mueller now that Harry is attached.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

pmensky
#221NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 6:44pm

It would be nice if while we were addressing racial diversity in casting we could also address the creepy casting norm in film and TV that a woman over the age of 30 is too old for a man in his 50’s. I’d like to see someone like Lea Salonga as Grace. While she is known primarily for her work in the theatre, she is also known for her work outside the Broadway bubble.

jlindsey865 Profile Photo
jlindsey865
#222NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 6:50pm

pmensky said: "It would be nice if while we were addressing racial diversity in casting we could also address the creepy casting norm in film and TVthat a woman over the age of 30 is too old for a man in his 50’s. I’d like to see someone like Lea Salonga as Grace. While sheis known primarily for her work in the theatre, she is alsoknown for her work outside the Broadway bubble."

Lea would be a great choice for Grace.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#223NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/28/21 at 7:01pm

Re: shaved head - Isn't HC Jr. known for rocking the lace front anyway?

twotrey
#224NBC will present ANNIE LIVE! for 2021 holiday season
Posted: 6/29/21 at 5:52am

darreyl102 said: "CarlosAlberto said: "Taraji P Henson?!?!?! NOW I am interested. And yes she can sing. Watch Tyler Perry’s I Can Do Bad All By Myself where she slays Aretha’s “Rock Steady”."

She didn't do her own singing in the film. That was Cheryl Pepsi Riley providing her vocals.
"

She may have been dubbed in that film, but it's funny how people forget she sang this on film and then months later live at the Oscars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZVXJRmPgZ0

Videos