pixeltracker

According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....

According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/5/09 at 11:50pm

You are a "loser."

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=1746812

Are they serious? I see nothing wrong with wearing a nice pair of non-denim shorts with a collared shirt.

Only on ATC would they discuss how wearing shorts to a broadway show makes you a "loser."
Updated On: 7/5/09 at 11:50 PM

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#2re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/5/09 at 11:53pm

Nope, shorts are fine if you are 12 and under. Otherwise proper trousers are required.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#2re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/5/09 at 11:53pm

Right. According to ATC. The ENTIRE FORUM.

No, according to Bruce Mem-BLAH. Not all of ATC.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/5/09 at 11:54pm

"No, according to Bruce Mem-BLAH. Not all of ATC."

Members agreed with him.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#4re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/5/09 at 11:55pm

I'll never understand why jeans are considered more appropriate than a nice pair of shorts and loafers or sandals is.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#5re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/5/09 at 11:55pm

It's still not all of ATC, so "according to ATC" is a total overreaction, and inaccurate. That's like saying all of BWW thinks the Light in the Piazza is boring because I thought it was boring.

Are you wearing shorts while you clutch those pearls?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#6re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/5/09 at 11:56pm

I see nothing wrong with wearing a nice pair of non-denim shorts with a collared shirt.

I agree completely, and do it all the time in the summer. I also wear, ::gasp:: flip flops.

This is not surprising given the median age of most ATC posters. Were it up to them, you'd be required to wear a suit or an evening gown to the theater.

bwayfan7000
#7re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/5/09 at 11:56pm

I guess I am a "loser", then, because when I go to the theatre in the summer, I wear shorts...albeit very nice shorts that match my nice shirt. It is overall a much fancier attire than wearing long pants, which would probably be jeans...

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#8re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/5/09 at 11:57pm

I think it depends on the shorts in question as well. Booty shorts, bermuda shorts (especially with socks), and denim shorts are unacceptable IMO. Also, shorts on a guy usually look very casual. But there are dressy shorts for woman that could be acceptable. And capris are fine IMO.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

CurtisTaylorJr2 Profile Photo
CurtisTaylorJr2
#10re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:04am

I'd never wear shorts to the theater, it doesn't look appropriate for the setting to me.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#11re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:05am

Who cares what those losers think. Wear whatever you want and enjoy the show.
Updated On: 7/6/09 at 12:05 AM

The_Toxic_Avenger Profile Photo
The_Toxic_Avenger
#12re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:05am

Talk about snobs...

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#13re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:08am

I think the real problem are the theatergoers who wear hoodies and sweatpants. Shorts are fine, give me a break. And I wear flip-flops too, nice ones.

TheEnchantedHunter
#14re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:15am

"This is not surprising given the median age of most ATC posters. Were it up to them, you'd be required to wear a suit or an evening gown to the theater."

You mean, like an adult? Unless you're 16 or under, there's no excuse not to dress up. But I guess that's expecting too much of some people.

Allison MacKenzie
Peyton Place, New Hampshire

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#15re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:17am

I wore my shortest corduroy shorts (http://www.americanapparel.com/rsacd401g.html) when I went to see Billy Elliott, but that was because I was trying to dress like a blue-collar British schoolboy from the 80s would. Joking! Sort of...

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#16re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:20am

Purchasing discounted tickets to a Broadway show entitles you to wear shorts or whatever you damn please.

If you pay full price, for chrissakes... dress-up a little. We in the orchestra section would greatly appreciate it. re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....

re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#17re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:22am

I'm old, what are "booty" shorts?
Shorts that show off your booty?
or shorts that say your booty is fer sale?
That infringes on the rights of the chorus boys.
Dressing like a British School boy is a whole different subject.

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#18re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:25am

When I saw Taboo, I wore these!

~Lina Lamont

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#19re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:29am

"booty" shorts are shorts that are only a little longer than a pair of panties. They often have some sort of message on the back such as "sexy", "brat", or whatever.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#20re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:30am

Yeah, I don't think it matters what you wear as long as it isn't distracting to others. I wear jeans or shorts with (plain, solid colored) T-shirts to the theatre all the time. It seems snobby to me to mandate a dress code. I think TDF puts it really well in their Theatre 101 page:

What do I wear?
The days when people dressed up for the theatre are sadly in the past. Off-Broadway has always been more casual than its uptown cousin, but now the Broadway dress code seems similarly relaxed. Not to discourage anyone who wants to get gussied up--you'll still see suits and ties in the audience, but you'll also see plenty of jeans and sneakers, not only at matinees but in the evening, as well. (The exception is a Broadway opening night, when an audience--most of it invited--may be asked to wear black tie.)

From http://tdf.org/tdf_servicepage.aspx?id=103

Updated On: 7/6/09 at 12:30 AM

TheEnchantedHunter
#22re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:37am

"The days when people dressed up for the theatre are sadly in the past."

So are civility and manners and reasoned discourse and politeness. Will you choose to be a human or an ape? It's up to you.

Ann Landers
Weeping In Heaven

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#23re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:43am

Saying that people wearing shorts to the theater is the equivalent of the death of reasoned discourse is only slightly more laughable than saying that gay marriage will lead to people marrying livestock.

~Lina Lamont

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#24re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:51am

don't get me wrong, i love dressing up, but i sometimes can honestly care less. i go in basketball shorts and adidas flip flops. it's the summer. why would i wear jeans. i am not going to a fashion show. i'm going to be sitting down for 2 hours plus i'd like to be confortable. i really don't care what you think i look like, i'm there to see a performance. it is funny sometimes the looks old dressed up people give me.

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

kover22 Profile Photo
kover22
#25re: According to ATC, if you wear shorts to the theatre....
Posted: 7/6/09 at 1:03am

I would rather see all the shorts in the world than have to smell someones perfume or cologne. I am so allergic to perfume/cologne, basically anything that smells that my eyes are almost swollen shut by the time I leave a public place. I even take my allergy meds first but it doesn't help when you sit right next to someone that has bathed in it!! Why do people think they smell good like that??? Less is more people!!!

I have RSD...but it doesn't have me!!!!