News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

The Ultimate Playbill Binder

Roger246 Profile Photo
Roger246
#1The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/27/09 at 1:48am

I just recently purchased the ultimate playbill binder. It's great! Three quick questions...

01) It is only recommended that you put ONE playbill per sleeve and not one on each side of the acid-free paper, correct?

02) The slips you receive with a list understudies and such inside your playbill, if you leave that in the playbill when putting it in the sleeve, it doesn't affect the quality of the pages of the playbill in the long run, does it?

03) Should I tape the flap at the back of each sleeve?

Thanks in advance!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/27/09 at 2:44am

I've always felt like the reason they don't want you to put one playbill on each side of the sleeve is so that you'll have to buy more binders to accommodate your collection, but I suppose it's possible that there could be a quality reason.

PlayhouseBeauty Profile Photo
PlayhouseBeauty
#2re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/27/09 at 9:04am

I have bought two playbill binders and have always put 2 playbills in each sleeve and I leave the little understudy papers in there. So far nothing has happened to them. I also don?t tape my sleeves shut. I do sometimes look at them and they seem to be doing well. No damage whatsoever. Thank Goodness lol!

Soliantu Profile Photo
Soliantu
#3re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/27/09 at 9:53am

I agree with CATS, I believe it's just so you buy more binders, I always put two in each sleave anyway, although I (as I'm sure others) fill the entire binders very quickly anyway. haha

jagfkb
#4re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/27/09 at 10:17am

^Very quickly one binder cannot contain one year's worth of shows.

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#5re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/27/09 at 11:06am

I have to buy these but I keep putting it off. I'm just afraid I won't like them.

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#6re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/27/09 at 11:24am

i want onee(or a few)but i'm afraid that im going to have to buy too many binders. anyone have any better ideas as to storing playbills?

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

iflip4musicals Profile Photo
iflip4musicals
#7re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/27/09 at 11:28am

I keep mine in a plastic bin from IKEA. I could be nicer to them, but, as far as I know, they are fine and safe. I would feel silly spending all that money on those binders, when I know I'm not actually going to look at them on a regular basis, and I have no place to display them properly. I'm sure I'll eventually get those, or a ticket stub binder (for now I just have a corkboard up in my room), but for now my plastic bin works fine!

"I've never encountered such religiously, you know, loyal fans as Broadway musical theater fans. It's amazing." --Allison Janney

NDR
#8re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/27/09 at 12:33pm

I purchase regular three ring binders and then purchase archival comic book backing boards and re-sealable pages from bags unlimited ( go to their website - their sheet music binders are perfect for storing souvenir programs as well). The pages are almost the same size as the playbills (depending on which ones you order) and I buy the archival boards which keeps the playbills flat and has a calcium coating to neutralize the acid in the playbill paper.
I take out the little papers and adhere them using acid free tape to the back side of the archival board so I don't need to take the program out of the sleeve to see the slips and so they don't compromise the longevity of the different types of paper used for the program vs. the inserts.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#9re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/27/09 at 2:20pm

I just bought a regular binder as well and a pack of sheet protectors. I taped my tickets to the inside of the front as well.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#10re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/27/09 at 3:24pm

Magazine racks!

re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder

Possibly a little large for Playbills, but they're great for my collection 'cos programmes in the UK are generally bigger, and they fit beautifully. Apart from, obviously, the ones that are too big. *coughBillyElliotWickedHairsprayTheKingandITroilusandCressida*ahem*

RachelO Profile Photo
RachelO
#11re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/27/09 at 9:04pm

I've always wanted one, but I feel that if I were to purchase it, I'd end up spending more on inserts for the Playbills than I would the actual binder (which is clearly the intent, but even so...). Magazine racks have always worked wonderfully for me.

SporkGoddess
#12re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/27/09 at 9:24pm

I keep them in a plastic bin. Using a magazine rack never occured to me--that's a really good idea.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Yankeefan007
#13re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/27/09 at 9:41pm

I have 7 or 8 of em for the autographed Playbills I have. 2 per sheet, with understudy slips and any other papers included, also. No problems yet.

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#14re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/27/09 at 11:53pm

I love them; I'm currently on my third. I always put a "clean" playbill in the front of the sleeve, and, if I stagedoor, the signed one in the back of the sleeve. In the front playbill, I place my ticket and any understudy slips in front of the billboard page.
Updated On: 7/28/09 at 11:53 PM

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#15re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/28/09 at 1:34am

I buy the Container Store plastic shoe boxes. They are $1.49 each and hold about 40 Playbills each. If you buy a case of twenty boxes, they are discounted to $1.29 each.

MUCH cheaper than those Playbill binders. And they keep my Playbills in terrific shape.
The Container Store Shoe Boxes

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

husk_charmer
#16re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/28/09 at 3:04am

WBAF-
Are those the same price in store? I hadn't thought about shoe boxes...and 20 would hold...800? Hmmm....

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#17re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/28/09 at 3:10am

Yep, same price in the store. They're great. And the perfect fit for Playbills.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#18re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/28/09 at 9:46am

I am filling volume 18 of the regular leather Playbill binders at this point. The fancy binder, I also put 2 per slot, and save that for special Playbills...signed or one night only.

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#19re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/28/09 at 10:30am

i think i'll take on foster's idea. sounds cheap enough for me.

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

colleen_lee
#20re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/28/09 at 11:37am

I also do the shoeboxes.

The playbill binders don't hold enough playbills, and I don't have room to store (or funds to purchase) 15 playbill binders. The shoeboxes work just fine for the time being.

"You just can't win. Ever. Look at the bright side, at least you are not stuck in First Wives Club: The Musical. That would really suck. " --Sueleen Gay

Aswatrowinkenbo Profile Photo
Aswatrowinkenbo
#21re: The Ultimate Playbill Binder
Posted: 7/28/09 at 8:10pm

I use a regular 3 ring binder and sheet protectors with a piece of card stock behind each Playbill. They slide around a little inside the sheet protectors but they don't get damaged. Not the greatest but it's cheap and gets the job done.

Videos