pixeltracker

Emotional Impact of Shows- Page 2

Emotional Impact of Shows

dramadude2 Profile Photo
dramadude2
#25re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 4:25pm

A Piece of My Heart. and Bang, Bang You're Dead

No one wants to see a musical called Thoroughly Modern Mildred.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#26re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 5:33pm

I cried after Patti's "Rose's Turn" but I suppose those were tears of overwhelming wonder, joy and awe.

I did, however, cry when Christine sang "My God" in "Another Winter in a Summer Town." So haunting.

And I have cried in a regional production of WEST SIDE STORY in which the actress playing Maria absolutely threw her entire self into the scene. Terrific, terrific performance.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#27re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 5:49pm

The shows that have had the biggest emotional impact on me:

1. next to normal
2. The Light in the Piazza
3. Wicked

I know Wicked is nowhere near the league of the other two, but it did really move me.

SporkGoddess
#28re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 6:05pm

Bettyboy72: Oh, that's another part of Miss Saigon that makes me tear up! That and "I'd Give My Life for You." I also get sad during "The Last Night of the World" because I know it's never going to happen for those two and it's the last time we'll see them together.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#29re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 6:15pm

Bang, Bang You're Dead

I was in BBYD a few years ago. It was an extremely emotional experience.

As far as shows that I've seen that have had a big impact: A Chorus LIne, In the Heights, and Hair

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

fgreene1938 Profile Photo
fgreene1938
#30re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 7:29pm

Other shows that had a huge and devastating emotional impact on me:

The Drowsy Chaperone
Dance of the Vampires
Boeing-Boeing
Long Day's Journey Into Night

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#31re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 7:49pm

:may contain SPOILERS:
Next to Normal - especially the first time I saw it. I wasn't sobbing loudly, but tears just kept flowing down my face for the last 15 minutes or so. "I Am the One (reprise)" gets me every time.

West Side Story - Always the song "Somewhere" and the ending, I can't help it.

Gypsy - Patti's "Rose's Turn" would always trigger a range of emotions in me. I didn't know whether to cheer for Rose, cry, or what... it just hit me, I can't really describe it. And the ending always gets me.. the ending dialogue between Gypsy and Rose and when Rose is reaching up at the sign.

In the Heights - when Abuella dies and when Graffiti Pete reveals his art of her. And the ending of the final song would always get me choked up, in particular the lyrics:
I'm not sayin' goodbye to your smilin'
I found my Island!
I've been on it this whole time
and I'm home!

For some reason, that part always gets me, but more happy tears. re: Emotional Impact of Shows

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#32re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 8:21pm

I wouldn't say it was the particular show itself, but it was the performance.

I've seen RENT before, knew what was happening, but Angel's death made me weep when my high school did it.

Our Collins was absolutely fantastic for a high school performer. His voice is out of this world, he has such an emotional connection with every work he does. Collins is very much a passive character in the show, we all can agree, but he didn't let that happen at my school. When Collins first started singing, and the lighting changed, I turned into a sobbing hot mess.

God, I don't even know why I'm writing this (I HATE Rent!)

Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek

DefyGravity777
#33re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 8:22pm

Next to Normal during I Am The One(reprise). Well the scenes leading up to it made me start crying. It was just worse during I Am The One.

Rent right after Angel dies.

Wicked as soon as For Good starts. Especially if it's someones last day.

Although I never saw it but listening to Little Women when Beth and Jo are singing Some Things Are Meant To Be to each other makes me cry.

Don't believe everything that you hear! Only the peeps involved know the truth!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#34re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 8:46pm

I've cried in GYPSY (200re: Emotional Impact of Shows, NEXT TO NORMAL (2009 Broadway), BILLY ELLIOT, LIZA'S AT THE PALACE (something about that final encore of "...Merry Little Christmas" really got to me)...and a few others I'll have to think of.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#35re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 9:03pm

I almost cry everytime the cast during Rent say their lines during Angel's funeral. I hope N2N isn't that upsetting but I usually don't cry, but Rent always got me.

ashley0139
#36re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 10:04pm

I'm shocked no one has said mine yet.

The show that has given me the most emotional reaction was Grey Gardens. I have never experienced anything like that in a theatre.

Other good ones: Sunday in the Park, Next to Normal, Les Mis, Gypsy.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

ashley0139
#36re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 10:05pm

I'm shocked no one has said mine yet.

The show that has given me the most emotional reaction was Grey Gardens. I have never experienced anything like that in a theatre.

Other good ones: Sunday in the Park, Next to Normal, Les Mis, Gypsy.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

moowithme85
#37re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 10:19pm

"Trust me, at age 52, I don't do much of anything 'for the attention'. But if I'm not crying by the end of a musical, to me it just wasn't a good show. It's not sadness that gets me going it's the poignancy that always moves me."
^^ I feel the exact same way...in my opinion, the judge of a good musical is how long I have to sit in the theatre waiting for my face to clear up before I can leave re: Emotional Impact of Shows

As a lot of you have said, Angel's funeral makes me sob...to the point where I'm embarrassed and wish I could stop.

In N2N I cried the hardest in Hey #3/Perfect for You (reprise). Which is odd...because I cared the most about Diana and Dan throughout the show. I actually felt sick during that song, because there was no telling if Natalie would end up like her mother, and if Henry would end up like Dan. Ugh, still makes me uncomfortable. Also, the line, "you don't have to be happy at all to be happy you're alive," shook me up pretty badly, too.

SporkGoddess
#38re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 10:54pm

Oh, I forgot. I haven't seen In the Heights, but "Everything I Know" tends to make me cry. However, that's because it reminds me of my recently deceased grandmother, who also kept every little memento from people's lives.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#39re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 10:57pm

NEXT TO NORMAL: Of the three times I've seen it thus far, the time I sat front row center affected me the most. Just because I could see the tears and the facial expressions and the emotion. And something about when Natalie leaves Diana and meets Henry at the dance and the music... Ugh! I was a sobbing mess from then on. It really hit me hard. It wasn't for attention. The story really affected me because all I could see was the performance and not the audience around me.

AUGUST: OSAGE COUNTY: Every single time Violet clambered up those stairs to get to Johnna's room at the end, my heart broke. I didn't cry, but something inside me just felt sad. I guess it was the realization that this woman was utterly abandoned and wondering how that would feel. It's an emotion that is so hard to grasp that you can't help but to ponder it. And when you do, you realize how horrible it is.

ALL MY SONS: I primarily mean the revival, but I was in a production of it my junior year of high school and the ending never ceases to leave me speechless. There is no way to respond to the absolute unraveling of a family but to be speechless. When I saw the revival, from the moment the gunshot sounded, to the final, heartbreaking projection, I was just still. I couldn't even cry. Something about it deeply unsettled me and left me without any words. I couldn't even talk afterwards.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#40re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 10:59pm

WHen I saw Next to Normal I was crying by I Am the One. Then throughout most of the second act...I'm pretty sure i was shaking.

And I'm pretty sure the first time Billy danced in Billy Elliot I was a train wreck. Just because I had been such a fan of the movie before I was ever into theatre and it is very emotional for me.

I have also cried in:
Spring Awakening
HAIR
A Bronx Tale
Shrek ( i know )

madscientist
#41re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/30/09 at 11:23pm

I've cried during Hair, Rent, A Tale of Two Cities, and Next to Normal. How Could I Ever Forget from N2N and the Finale from Tale always make me tear up when they come on my mp3 player. N2N definitely had the greatest emotional impact on me, and I heard a lot of other people crying when I saw it. Believe it or not, I'm not normally an emotional person, but when something really moves me, it does.

After Eight
#42re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/31/09 at 12:30am

I've always found myself deeply affected by "Our Town."

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#43re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/31/09 at 12:44am

I don't really cry during shows; however, when I saw the Les Mis revival - SPOILERS - I did get some tears down my cheeks when Lea Salonga sang 'I Dreamed a Dream' and when Eponine was dying during 'A Little Fall of Rain.'

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

sipos
#44re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/31/09 at 12:57am

"Little Girl Blue" in LOVE, JANIS
BLOOD BROTHERS
Definitely MISS SAIGON
SPRING AWAKENING
JOHN & JEN
KISS OF THE SPIDERWOMAN
SHE LOVES ME
and when I first heard Betty say, "I can't look at you anymore, Joe ..... " in SUNSET BOULEVARD

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#45re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/31/09 at 1:53am

Wow. I totally neglected OUR TOWN. Yeah, from the wedding on... always kills me. And when the Emily is really good? That final monologue kills me. And the stage manager's final lines... *tear*

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#46re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/31/09 at 2:04am

A Tale of Two Cities did it most for me; followed by Sunday in the Park with George.

Others:
Les Miserables
Camille Claudel

beingalive123
#47re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/31/09 at 4:11am

I cried openly after Raul Esparza's being alive (as you can tell by my screen name), but I'm still not sure if it was because I was so touched by the song or if it was because it was the first time I realized I was in love with Raul Esparza. Maybe it was a bit of both.

broadwayjim42
#48re: Emotional Impact of Shows
Posted: 7/31/09 at 7:44am

"For Good" always gets me going when I listen to it and I've included it on CD mix gifts to several other people, but when I actually saw the show and heard the music starting, I had the reverse reaction. It's like I was preparing myself for it and when the song was actually being performed, nothing. Kinda affected my whole reaction to "Wicked," since I expected that song to turn me into a blithering idiot.

Videos