NINE - "Take It All"

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#1NINE - "Take It All"
Posted: 11/15/09 at 8:36pm

Bye bye "Be On Your Own". You are no longer missed.

Enjoy!

P
TAKE IT ALL

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/15/09 at 8:40pm

Sorry. That can't touch BE ON YOUR OWN.

I was expecting more from this song. Maybe it will grow on me.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#2re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/15/09 at 8:44pm

That doesn't even to touch "Be On Your Own". I don't get this crap that "Be On Your Own" wasn't visual enough to work on screen.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#3re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/15/09 at 8:44pm

I definitely think Yeston in that recent profile makes a clear and valid reasoning in why BE ON YOUR OWN isn't the right piece of music for that place in the film, its not that the song itself isn't cinematic (though it isn't) it has more to do with 4 songs in a row at the end of the musical that are ballads - so I welcome a new take
Updated On: 11/15/09 at 08:44 PM

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#4re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/15/09 at 8:51pm

This song says everything "Be On Your Own" says in the last four lines, including having the same final words. You cannot stand and sing a 3 minute song that is static in a musical film which is why this works better. On top of it, this song says so much more about the characters and situation.

"Be On Your Own" is perfect for the stage version. This sounds perfect for the vision of the movie. FUNNY GIRL's "Music That Makes Me Dance"/"My Man" all over again in a way.

I thought this was a little bit like FOLLIES' "Live, Laugh, Love" where she is falling to pieces on stage, you can hear it in her voice and delivery and the awesome orchestrations.

I did not expect it to be like this at all and I'm happily surprised.

P
Updated On: 11/15/09 at 08:51 PM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#5re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/15/09 at 9:00pm

Not what I expected at all, but still good.

I agree with Pgenre, that this song has the same message as 'Be On Your Own' but will work much better in the film.

I've yet to be disappointed with a voice in this film!

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#6re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/15/09 at 9:56pm

I'm very curious to see Cotillard's actual performance. It sounds like she fills it with the same passion more evident in the lyrics of "Be On Your Own."

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#7re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/15/09 at 10:02pm

I'm surprised it sounds like a strip tease!

Miss Gypsy Rose Luisa!

I guess that's what she's doing in the number. "Peeling off" layers of herself until there's nothing left, as she says.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Tateh Profile Photo
Tateh
#8re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/15/09 at 10:14pm

Sorry, but with Be on your own cut and Penelope singing A call from the Vatican this movie will be a violation to Nine.
Loving Kate Hudson´s voice though

nlm
#9re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/15/09 at 10:51pm

I'm surprised it sounds like a strip tease!

That's because it is one. But as you said it's peeling off the layers of herself too.
Updated On: 11/15/09 at 10:51 PM

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#10re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/15/09 at 11:07pm

It's such a great concept. Rob Marshall is really in his element and he truly is making the most out of it. Any chance this could even match or surpass CHICAGO? Not that it needs to, but the more and more I see/hear of this movie, the better it seems.
Cotillard's voice is great and I actually think Cruz' voice works wonders with "A Call from the Vatican," it's smokey and sexy. Simply can't wait.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#11re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/15/09 at 11:11pm

That number has to be seen in the film. It's truly disturbing in context.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#12re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/15/09 at 11:18pm

Which? 'A Call from the Vatican' or 'Take it All' ?

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

ray-andallthatjazz86
#13re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/15/09 at 11:21pm

I'm pretty sure Smaxie was referring to "Take It All." I can't see how "A Call from the Vatican" could be described as "disturbing," hehe. Do you have any particular thoughts on the latter, Smaxie?

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Pgenre Profile Photo
Pgenre
#14re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/15/09 at 11:23pm

Think "The Thou Shalt Not Ballet" from THOU SHALT NOT aka gangbang.

P

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#15re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/15/09 at 11:29pm

I meant "Take It All". I think Cotillard really scores with it in the film, even if it's not a beauty of a song like "Be On Your Own".

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#16re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/16/09 at 8:44am

Sorry to burst your bubble Pgenre but TAKE IT ALL cannot hold a candle to BE ON YOUR OWN. It's a good vocal performance by Marion Cotillard no doubt but still the song is inferior to the song it replaces.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#17re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/16/09 at 11:26am

I am very pleasantly surprised with all of the new songs. Yeston knows what he's doing here.

This new song is wonderful, and appropriate, and Cotillard is simply perfect for Luisa.

and Hudson's new song is fun, and her voice is surprisingly good.

Most disappointing of what we've seen so far has been Cruz in Call From the Vatican, imo.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#18re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/16/09 at 11:58am

I'm yet to be persuaded that Be on Your Own was the one to cut if there were too many ballads in that part of the film. Surely, along with Unusual Way and (maybe) Vatican, it is the biggest number in the show.

It does sound a little like a song cut from Chicago, too.

BDrischBDemented
#19re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/16/09 at 12:17pm

Has all of "Call From the Vatican" been released yet? I only saw like 20 seconds of it, and I couldn't really make up my mind on Cruz's performance from that.

"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#20re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/16/09 at 12:20pm

No, all I've seen of "Call.." is that 20 second clip of mediocre quality. Hardly enough to decide that Penelope Cruz's performance is a "violation to Nine", particularly when her performance has been garnering praise from the majority of people who have seen the screenings.

I really enjoy "Take It All". I'm getting very excited for this film.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#21re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/16/09 at 12:25pm

"Call from the Vatican" is pretty great. A definite highlight of the film. Cruz is very playful, physical and sexy with the number.

peachesr
#22re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/16/09 at 1:53pm

I really like 'Take it All' Im sure within the film it's a wonderfully dark moment. Its a shame 'Be On Your Own' was cut but I do like this

ray-andallthatjazz86
#23re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/16/09 at 2:01pm

I only saw like 20 seconds of it, and I couldn't really make up my mind on Cruz's performance from that.

Well, it is just 20 seconds, how could anyone make up their mind about a performance by just seeing a 20 second clip?

I'd be really happy if the trio version of "Take It All" is released as some sort of bonus track on the soundtrack. Was the trio version ever filmed? It'd be great to listen to it.
Marshall cut a huge amount of songs from CHICAGO and I think that's one of the best movie musical adaptations, I trust his talent and I'm sure he'll give us a great movie musical with NINE.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#24re: NINE - 'Take It All'
Posted: 11/16/09 at 2:46pm

Smaxie, is SIMPLE definitely not in the film?

This one review states "Only With You" is the only song that was filmed but ultimately cut. I could have sworn SIMPLE was filmed.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43090

Videos