pixeltracker

Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'

Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#1Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 3:36am

Warning: It's very nasty, and pretty pointless. Besides the anecdote about Mandela, Riedel adds nothing new to this debacle.

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/theater/from_riches_to_ragtime_amHBRf6WA0GB0p0gVoIhuM

Updated On: 1/8/10 at 03:36 AM

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#2Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 3:46am

God, he's such a ****ing tool.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#2Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 3:49am

What a pleasant man he is.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#3Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 3:51am

He's a cutie and sometimes brilliant, but that was bitchy. Kicking them when they're down. Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'

ghostlight2
#4Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 4:12am

He's neither cute nor brilliant. He's an untalented wannabe gossip columnist who works nights as an eavesdropping b!tchy barfly, hoping he'll piss someone off enough to hit him. He seems to enjoy that.

Fiddler's director aside, I have seen him deliberately try to goad people to punch him. With my own ears I've heard him say, "what, aren't you going to hit me now?". He was so very disappointed when the person he was taunting told him he wasn't worth his time or the cuts he'd get on his knuckles. The man is worse than a bottomfeeder, and that's an insult to bottomfeeders. He's hit a new low with this one.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#5Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 4:15am

Don't get me wrong--he's often struck wrong and cruelly. But, let's be fair. Sometimes, he's on the money. And, I've seen him in person many times--he's awfully cute. In that older, nerdy, sexy, writer way.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#6Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 4:21am

I think he's hilarious. Some people need to be brought down a peg or two and he does it unappolegetically. If Michael Kaiser's hubris is responsible for all the money this production has lost then he deserves to be called out.

I think he's kinda cute is that nerdy way too.

....but the world goes 'round

ghostlight2
#7Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 4:47am

Sure, sometimes he's right. He spends enough time in theater bars eavesdropping on people who think they are speaking in a safe environment, and when he doesn't hear something he can use, he twists their words or simply makes it up or publishes someone's private emails. He's scum. There is no need for the kind of vitriol he spews.

But hey, no accounting for tastes for those who find him attractive. I find nothing appealing about him, myself. I don't find him funny or clever, and I don't think he'll end well, given how aggressively he attacks people in public, much less in print. He deliberately provokes people to violence against him - literally encourages it. I can't for the life of me why he's still employed, unless his employers consider that he encourages people to hate him a selling point.

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#8Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 4:51am

Well, it IS the NY bloody Post.

rockfenris2005
#9Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 5:30am

Someone should slap him and make him cry again. Yes...again.

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#10Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 6:47am

What a f*cking ass. Someone didn't fact check. There are a handful of actors in this production from the DC Metro area. He makes it seem as if everyone involved resides there.

I wouldn't place total blame on Kaiser either. The show was very well received in DC and not only from the press. DC audiences tend to be very reserved, yet the 9 times I saw this production at the Kennedy Center, the audiences were on their feet cheering during the curtain call. It definitely deserved to be on Broadway, and I'm glad it transferred. By the closing performance on Sunday (which I will be at), I will have seen the Broadway revival an additional 9 times.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 1/8/10 at 06:47 AM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#11Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 8:00am

He definately has a bug up his butt about Regional Theatre.

TechEverlasting Profile Photo
TechEverlasting
#12Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 8:20am

I agree, that's a particularly nasty column. Hindsight is 20/20 though, isn't it? Ragtime is closing because not enough people bought tickets. If ticket sales had been better these producers would be "visionary geniuses".

I remember hearing about Disney's idea of staging "The Lion King" with life size puppets and thinking it was the most ridiculous concept ever. I also thought the idea of a Juke-box musical based on the songs of the Four Seasons was pretty laughable.

"I have got to have some professional music!" - Big Edie
Updated On: 1/8/10 at 08:20 AM

Oldschool
#13Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 8:54am

What a weenie.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#14Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 8:58am

Ugh. What is the point of being so heinous?

A work of art is an invitation to love.

AnythingGoes2
#15Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 9:01am

Nasty article...but correct, i have to say, yes.

Ragtime had an almightly slim chance of surviving. What with Finians also transfering aswell I can't help but think out of all the fantastic Kennedy and Encores shows I have seen; why these shows got transfers. If the Kennedy Centre wanted a Broadway show they should have got it together with "Mame"

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#16Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 9:20am

Wow did he really have to be that nasty and vicious? I mean, I get that he doesn't seem to like Ragtime very much. But gee whiz, that was really nasty.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

KirbyCat
#17Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 9:27am

I feel like any and every producer should work money into their budget to pay off "a guy" to kick the sh*t outta this guy (a few times) when he writes poorly of their show. This guy needs to take a long walk off a short pier.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#18Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 9:29am

I love Ragtime, and love this production, but...

If he had written an article that was this nasty, about, say, Wicked or Mamma Mia, the reaction here would be quite different. No one would be hating on Riedel, in fact, the article would be described as "hilarious."

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#19Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 9:38am

Come on, people. Is he really any nastier than most of the posters here on BroadwayWorld?

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#20Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 10:04am

I find him to be extremely entertaining, and I avidly look forward to reading him each week. Cut the guy some slack! Sorry to see Ragtime go but don't take it out on him. It's the economy...

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#21Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 10:06am

I was just about to say that Pal Joey and adamgreer.

Add me to the list of people who find the article hysterical.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#22Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 10:09am

It's really not THAT nasty. Some people are just a little oversensitive to the fact that not everyone jizzes all over Ragtime.

broadwayjim42
#23Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 10:14am

It's the economy and the fact that the show isn't exactly commercial. I saw it last night and absolutely loved it, but despite several moments of humor, it's just too serious and heavy. Unfortunately, piffle still seems to win the day when it comes to popularity, at least in the long run.

As for Reidel, I like reading him too, but sometimes he is just plan mean.

ghostlight2
#24Riedel: From riches to 'Ragtime'
Posted: 1/8/10 at 10:22am

I couldn't care less about Ragtime, Phyllis. I just think it"s an unnecessarily nasty column, not to mention wrong. Most of the actors are not from Bethesda.

"I feel like any and every producer should work money into their budget to pay off "a guy" to kick the sh*t outta this guy (a few times) when he writes poorly of their show"

NO NO NO. He'd LOVE that. He's a closet masochist. They'd do better to hire a guy to threaten to beat him up and then refuse to.

Videos