pixeltracker

Because Everything Deserves It's Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading Out?

Because Everything Deserves It's Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading Out?

jagfkb
#1Because Everything Deserves It's Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading Out?
Posted: 1/9/10 at 8:59pm

Seriously, why? It it going to announce tomorrow that after February it's reopening until the summer? Is it because Andrew Lloyd Webber wants the theatre? And who's going to play Younger Brother? All this and more on 60 minutes...

But seriously, what's up with that?

Phyllis Rogers Stone
MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#2Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/9/10 at 9:06pm

Oh, for Christ's Sake.

They cancelled because they realized they have a HUGE number of advanced ticket sales for the next 6 months. And because, prior to their Closing notice, they were doing REALLY well in ticket sales.

/sarcasm

When I think about you, I touch myself.
Updated On: 1/9/10 at 09:06 PM

ghostlight2
#3Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/9/10 at 9:15pm

All you people who are being so snarky just get might get some interestingly unexpected news soon. Load-outs aren't cancelled for no reason at all.

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#4Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/9/10 at 9:17pm

Because they are waiting for Wicked to announce it's closing on Monday for February 7th and move into the Gershwin.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#5Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/9/10 at 9:17pm

OK, don't **** with me here, I haven't been following the latest since RAGTIME announced a one-week extension...someone tell me the legit here:

Is RAGTIME not closing tomorrow???

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#6Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/9/10 at 9:21pm

No one knows anymore. There were rumors of it keep on extending til the 24th, which was what they planned for all along, didn't happen. And now with the loading cancelled, No one really knows what is going on. The producers probably don't even know.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#7Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/9/10 at 9:22pm

Ragtime is transferring the New World Stages!!

lisa902652
#8Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/9/10 at 9:22pm

I can't figure it out. There really is no reason to cancel the load in. The trucks were coming monday. They cancelled the trucks today. The only reason would be an extension but with tickets not on sale they really can't have an advance. Maybe Lloyd Weber did something to hold the theater. There is no load in mon or tues, earliest Wed.

#9Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/9/10 at 9:29pm

You didn't hear? It's transferring to New World Stages. Cutting the whole orchestra and using a CD, and about half the cast was cut.

defygravity24 Profile Photo
defygravity24
#10Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/9/10 at 9:41pm

I was at the matinee today and I got a black and white playbill, but found a stash of colored ones (and took a few. I assume the playbills are for tomorrow which would make tomorrow the last show probably if theyre doing a fancy playbill.

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#11Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/9/10 at 9:42pm

From a cast member:

Shows closing. Rumors, but just rumors. Show closes manana. Peace

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#12Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/9/10 at 10:05pm

They don't usually spend extra money for a closing day playbill. Especially a flop. A long running show like Rent certainly has something to celebrate.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

rmusic11322
#13Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/9/10 at 10:12pm

So what really IS closing this month?

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#14Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/9/10 at 10:22pm

You.

Hey Ghostlight2, where's that news? LOL. It's closing sweetheart.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#15Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/9/10 at 10:43pm

Could someone please provide a source of this information?

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#16Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/9/10 at 11:08pm

While I hugely doubt that anything is happening, I like to dream that this is being done solely because some producer was pissed off at Michael Riedel's column and wants to sink several million dollars to prove him wrong. Which I'm half-convinced is why the show closed on the 10th and not the 3rd, as Riedel reported long ago.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#17Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/9/10 at 11:11pm

I would love for the rumors to be true, but I really don't think they are. That doesn't explain why they cancelled the load-out, though.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

NotYourMemories Profile Photo
NotYourMemories
#18Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/9/10 at 11:42pm

The load-out just got postponed by a few days, I don't know why. I think it starts on Wednesday now.

Other than on this board I haven't heard anything about any more extensions or the possibility of re-opening after a hiatus.

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#19Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/9/10 at 11:44pm

There are a number of reasons, completely unrelated to the show's closing, that could cause the load-out to be cancelled.

A cancelled load-out means NOTHING. Perhaps they cancelled the Monday load-out and rescheduled it to Tuesday for whatever reason. To think differently is absolutely ridiculous and purely wishful thinking!

ghostlight2
#20Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/10/10 at 9:15am

"Hey Ghostlight2, where's that news? LOL. It's closing sweetheart?.

Hey musicsnob, your last post makes absolutely no sense, and is a poor attempt at being condescending aside.

"A cancelled load-out means NOTHING. Perhaps they cancelled the Monday load-out and rescheduled it to Tuesday for whatever reason. To think differently is absolutely ridiculous and purely wishful thinking!"

Not on my part. And "whatever reason" would that be? Delaying a load-out costs lots of money, You won't find me as one of its many fans on this board. I'm just talking facts. Load-outs are not cancelled for no reason.

In any case, if it loads out (and it probably will) it'll be wednesday, not Tuesday. You really have NO idea what you're talking about, you just enjoy stirring trouble and attempting at being condescending. I do know that it is a VERY rare occasion to delay a load-out. It is expensive to keep the equipment even one more day, much less two, unless there is some good reason to do so. Maybe they're going for some sort of Hail Mary, but it isn't happening for no reason at all, because that costs more money, and why would they do that? It probably won't work, but at least they're trying. All you ever do is tear things down. I'd ask why, but don't care.

Updated On: 1/10/10 at 09:15 AM

lisa902652
#21Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/10/10 at 9:43am

Thank you ghostlight! Yes, Music snob is condesending and doesent know what he is talking about even though he keep saying he knows more than everyone. It costly to delay a closing especially when the trucking was called and notified SATURDAY. One reason could be that the producers are trying to decide what to do with the set. They may move it off boradway. would be the rumer going around about FR transferring. I don't know how true that is. The crew should be notified around tuesday about the state of the laod in. I am hopeing someone at the theater will have info today! I will post it if I do hear anything.

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#22Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/10/10 at 10:50am

They're producing a tour and are trying to figure out how to adapt the set for use with the "retired for wear & tear" Avenue Q puppets and kazoos they picked up at the Broadway flea market.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#23Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/10/10 at 11:02am

SOme people should simply rent a storefront and start reading tea leaves.

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

ghostlight2
#24Because Everything Deserves Its Own Thread: Why Did Ragtime Cancel Loading
Posted: 1/10/10 at 11:25am

"There are a number of reasons, completely unrelated to the show's closing, that could cause the load-out to be cancelled".

Name me one of those reasons, musicsnob - just one - that doesn't involve Monday being a holiday that would cost the producers double-time, other than the fact that they are trying to work something out. The logistics of delaying a load-out two days, especially when so many shows are loading out on monday, are nightmarish.

I don't work for Ragtime, am not a huge fan of Ragtime, and didn't give a flying f#@k if it closed before it opened.The fact that they're waiting til Wednesday to load it out (which they likely will) does mean something. That delay will cost the producers a great deal of money. What that reason is, I don't know - but I do know from what you're saying that you truly have NO clue at all how this business works, you supercilious schmuck.

Videos