pixeltracker

Why do people hate Wicked?- Page 2

Why do people hate Wicked?

Mattbrain
#25Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 9:25am

I'm definitely a fan of Wicked and even Stephen Schwartz in general. But I don't think it's the GREATEST MUSICAL EVER!!!! There's just so many better shows out there.

That said (and this is probably gonna sound totally hypocritical) I wanna see Mandy play Elphaba like you wouldn't believe!

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

gcontini2 Profile Photo
gcontini2
#26Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 9:36am

Frontrowcentre2 -

That's great information and puts the Wicked backlash in some understandable context.
Thanks for sharing that perspective!

siny
#27Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 9:40am

I saw it twice and I don't hate it, but it's not on my list of favorite shows. First act was OK, but the story got so confusing in the second act that I had no idea what was going on. I am a sucker for big power ballads, so I liked the score. But I've seen too many big Broadway shows to be impressed by bells and whistles and I feel that this show relies on them way too much.

All in all, I am so glad that "Avenue Q" beat out "Wicked" for Best Musical. "Avenue Q" is a much, much, much better show than "Wicked". I would highly recommend it to all "Wicked" fans - it would do them good to see another show rather than seeing nothing but "Wicked" a million times.

Larcen26 Profile Photo
Larcen26
#28Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 11:32am

This might sound rude…it is not meant to be…
People hate Wicked because there are people who think it’s a masterpiece.
And that is not directly the same as disliking it just because it is popular, though there are plenty of those people out there too.

It is similar to Everybody Loves Raymond staying on the air for so long when Arrested Development gets cancelled. Everybody Loves Raymond might be a good show, but did it deserve to run as long as it did and win Emmy after Emmy while Arrested Development barely crept by?
(And please, let’s not turn this into a Great TV argument; I was just using it as an analogy)

Wicked is a fine show, with some decent moments but with a generally forgettable score, and some truly terrible lyrics (“Look at her, she’s wicked! GET HER!” Seriously?) Stephen Schwartz has written so many better scores…this is really in the argument for his worst.

But 90% of teenage girls just cling to Elphaba like she is some long lost prophet (Wow…I feel like an outcast too! She is so great!!! And listen to how high she can shout while having it still sound like singing!! No one is gonna bring me down either Elphy!!!)

I think that you will have a really hard time finding anyone older than college age that would consider it a masterpiece. (Within theatre circles that is…outside of the theatre there are people who consider Cats a masterpiece…enough said about that.)

But I, like at least one other person who posted would really like to hear your thought on why it is a masterpiece and your age just for a different side of the story!

Baritone in search of a role in a new musical...

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#29Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 11:38am

Is it out of pure hatred toward anything "mainstream" or "popular" (pun intended). Or is it merely a difference in taste?

Both. No musical is universally loved and often among musical theatre enthusiasts, shows popular with mainstream audiences are resented for being more successful than shows considered more artistically astute. That will never change. And the annoying fangirls who endlessly gushed about Wicked during its first year didn't help matters. I enjoyed it and saw it several times, but I don't consider it a "masterpiece". I found it entertaining.

“Look at her, she’s wicked! GET HER!” Seriously?

It's a choral number and a mob scene. Sondheim wrote "More hot pies! More hot! More Pies! More!" Seriously.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#30Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 12:01pm

I, too, attribute the overenthusiasm by the fans of this show for me to avoid it for over a year before finally seeing it. I actually fell asleep during Act 1. Unfortunately I was bored to tears. Jennifer Laura Thompson and Shoshana Bean were in the show at the time.

The 2nd time I saw the show was the national tour in DC with Stephanie Block, and I liked the show so much better. Saw the tour another time when Julia Murney, and enjoyed her performance, but was very disappointed with Annaleigh Ashford as Glinda (understudy).

Saw it yet again on Broadway with Alli Mauzey and Nicole Parker.

It's not my favorite show by any means, but I still can't figure out why I didn't like it the very first time around.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Sean2 Profile Photo
Sean2
#31Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 12:45pm

I also applaud Frontrowcentre2 for his thoughtful insights. Well done.

Trainwreck, I also think that if you love it the best, then you should and your reasons are perfectly valid! For me, I've seen probably upwards of 300+ productions of musicals and plays, and so I see 'Wicked' as part of a lifetime of theatre-going. It falls into an area that makes for an enjoyable evening, but I think that down the line, you'll find that another director/set designer, etc., are going to find a deeper and more moving production of the show (a bit like the new production of 'Sunday in the Park with George' did)(for me, I hasten to add). This production feels a little superficial to me.

purtynpynk Profile Photo
purtynpynk
#32Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 1:18pm

I wouldn't say that I hate it either. I saw it three times during the time it was in Chicago, and I actually liked it the first two times. I was just bored the third time, maybe because I felt like I was blasted to death with the advertisements, PR stuff and listening to every single person I know saying how fabulous it was. It was also my first musical that I remember and since then, i had seen so many more things. When I went to New York for my first trip at the end of January, since I had already seen it, and it's coming back to Chicago, I didn't find it necessary to pay a non-discounted price to see it. There were shows I'd never seen before that were a higher priority. I just don't think it's my type of musical.

Trainwreck Profile Photo
Trainwreck
#33Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 2:22pm

Glad to see a number of people getting back to the topic, which is why people hate Wicked. The topic isn't me.

It's not why Trainwreck likes Wicked [Kad], how old Trainwreck is [frontrowcentre2], or why he thinks Sweeny Todd, etc. aren't Masterpieces. Which, by the way, I do NOT believe nor did I ever imply [Kad].

I also never said I saw a Wicked film. There isn't one. I said it was my favorite show that I've seen - out of all the ones I've seen live or film [Biff AKA Levi]. I'm not sure if it's the "BEST THING EVER", but in my opinion it is a "modern masterpiece" that people will look back on with delight when the show is older. I'm sure there are better shows out there, I just like it the best. But in full disclosure I'm almost torn between it and Chicago.

But in the interest of introducing myself, let's clear up a few things -

For the record I am a 25-year-old straight male who has loved musical theater since I started high school when I was in a musical (H2$). Since then I've seen a number of live productions (the most recent of which are in my signature), and have been to Broadway once (and saw Rent). I live in Seattle.

All of that aside - I'm glad to see people here with the attitude of "if you like it the best, then it's the best." That's the way I feel. If you guys think Gypsy is the best thing ever - then it is! I can't tell you that you are wrong, it's all subjective!

Anyway, this thread wasn't in the interest of defending Wicked or myself, but I figured it would be nice to introduce myself a little since I AM new to the boards [Kalimba].

Thank those of you who have provided intelligent answers, most of which I agree with. I was glad to see what people had to say.

Edit: Nothing against those of you who I called out, I just wanted to give you guys some replies since you were more interested in me than the discussion.

Shows Seen - Swing!**, Rent (Broadway)**, The Lion King***, Wicked*****, Legally Blonde***, Chicago****, Cats***, Fiddler on the Roof***, Burn the Floor**, In the Heights***, Hair*****, A Christmas Story**, Rock of Ages***, Vanities*, Billy Elliot****, Next to Normal*****, 9 to 5**, Mary Poppins***, Guys and Dolls***, Aladdin***, Les Miserables*****

Upcoming Shows - Cinderella, Oklahoma!, Damn Yankees, Rent

Paramount Theater and 5th Avenue Theater season ticket holder

Proud Gleek
Updated On: 3/9/10 at 02:22 PM

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#34Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 2:34pm

Well I hated it because I think pretty much everything about it sucked. The music sucked, the performances were irritating, the sets were ugly and I hated the choreography. It probably didn't help that I was a fan of the book it was "based" on.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#35Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 2:45pm

For the record I am a 25-year-old straight male who has loved musical theater since...

Let they record show, your honor, that the original poster is neither teenage nor female.

Nor is he gay.

Trainwreck Profile Photo
Trainwreck
#36Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 2:49pm

Sorry I threw the straight bit in there, but I've seen more than one occasion of people questioning sexuality (which is sad) on this board. Such as the thread about that guy who has that awesome Broadway tour through his apartment.

So I thought "might as well put it out there since somebody will probably ask".

Edit: Can we make this thread about Wicked and not about me? Maybe you guys can create a thread all about me in the Seattle board? I'd love to reply to it if you guys are that interested in me.

Shows Seen - Swing!**, Rent (Broadway)**, The Lion King***, Wicked*****, Legally Blonde***, Chicago****, Cats***, Fiddler on the Roof***, Burn the Floor**, In the Heights***, Hair*****, A Christmas Story**, Rock of Ages***, Vanities*, Billy Elliot****, Next to Normal*****, 9 to 5**, Mary Poppins***, Guys and Dolls***, Aladdin***, Les Miserables*****

Proud Gleek
Updated On: 3/9/10 at 02:49 PM

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#37Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 2:51pm

There's a Seattle board?

Trainwreck Profile Photo
Trainwreck
#38Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 2:52pm

When you go to the Broadway board, above all the topics is a drop-down for a bunch of regional boards. Seattle being one of those. So yes, there is.

Proud Gleek

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#39Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 2:55pm

Wow. All these years and I have never clicked on that drop down box. I always assumed it would just contain the four message boards listed to the left. It's like a whole new world!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#40Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 3:22pm

They're relatively new, Erik.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#41Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 4:34pm

Trainwreck, you're doing an awful lot of talking about yourself for someone who doesn't want to.

Trainwreck Profile Photo
Trainwreck
#42Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 4:36pm

Alright this thread should obviously be locked now. I'm sorry I ever brought it up.

Proud Gleek

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#43Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 4:43pm

It just seems that you've spent most of the thread trying to circumscribe the conversation.

You don't seem to want any sort of dialog. I gather you just wanted to say that "Wicked" is a masterpiece, and that anyone who doesn't agree must feel "pure hatred."

And then you're offended by any questions about why you like it.

At this point, I'm just puzzled.

Trainwreck Profile Photo
Trainwreck
#44Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 5:03pm

From the OP:

"Or is it merely a difference in taste?"

Which, in conclusion, is what I gather from all of the relevant posts in this thread. I've learned a lot - from the history of this board (and the teen girls defending Wicked), to the fact that Wicked didn't win the Tony, and peoples' personal tastes toward the show.

I can't, at all, fault somebody for not liking it, or not thinking it's great. They are totally well within their right to think that. I just made the OP out of curiosity to see if there was something I was missing.

I'm glad to see the responses people gave. It opens my mind a bit about the show, and helps me understand how people feel.

Proud Gleek

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#45Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 5:57pm

I want to know if Reg is circumscribed.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#46Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/9/10 at 6:56pm

I've seen the 3 times throughout the years, and just don't care for it.

The first time was right after it first opened in NYC. Kristen C was out, and Laura Bell Bundy went on for her. In all fairness to the show, I had just seen "The Boy From Oz" the day before, and the brillance of Hugh Jackman was still the first thing in my mind.

Then I saw it again in Chicago a few years later. I wanted to see it again, with a clear head. Saw it again....and, well...just didn't care for it.

Fast forward to NYC 3 years ago, with a friend of mine in the Broadway show. So, I went again to support her.

It's just not one of my favorites.

sylvesterbird Profile Photo
sylvesterbird
#47Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/10/10 at 12:15am

Wow! It's pretty refreshing to see a thread with "Wicked" in it that didn't end up in all-out bashing :)

I guess I would be counted as someone in the target audience for Wicked (teen girl). My first musicals were all "classics" (Oklahoma, Sound of Music, Oliver, Fiddler on the Roof)so I think ultimately Wicked stood out because it was so different (AT THE TIME). I mean, it was written more than forty years later than anything I'd heard until then...

I think Wicked's "strength" would be in its accessibility. While I'll be the first to point to Sondheim as a lyrical genius, honestly most of my friends would just have a hard time getting beyond the complicated melodies. What is This Feeling is so much easier to hum than Not a Day Goes By. I'm not saying this is a good thing, but I think that's why Wicked never has to worry about filling seats. It bridges the gap between popular culture and "hardcore" theatre. I think people get angry when these Wicked fans refuse to realize that, and treat Wicked as the epitome of great theatre.
Updated On: 3/10/10 at 12:15 AM

theevilgumby
#48Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/10/10 at 12:19am

its great to watch but a snooze fest musically. Id never listen to the cd but its worth 25 dollar lottery.

followyourbliss23 Profile Photo
followyourbliss23
#49Why do people hate Wicked?
Posted: 3/10/10 at 2:16pm

"Well I hated it because I think pretty much everything about it sucked. The music sucked, the performances were irritating, the sets were ugly and I hated the choreography. It probably didn't help that I was a fan of the book it was "based" on. "

LMAO!!! beautifully blunt and to the point! i also feel the same way about the novel. if the book (script, not novel), had taken cues from the novel, it probably would have been much better liked by me at least.

in general, shows like 'wicked' and 'lion king' are still selling well because audiences love two things: sentiment and spectacle. this is true of theatre and movies. just look at the financial success of 'avatar', which has a lot of the same problems 'wicked' does.

"the stage too must experiment - with ideas, with the psychological relationship of men and women, with speech and rhythm forms, with dance and movement, with color and light - or it must and should become a museum product. in an age of terrific implications as to wealth and poverty, as to the function of government, as to peace and war, as to the relation of the artist to all these forces, the theatre must grow up. the theatre must become conscious of the implications of the changing social order, or the changing social older will ignore, and rightly, the implications of the theatre." - hallie flanagan, director of the federal theatre project
*blame e.e. mings*