pixeltracker

What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?- Page 3

What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#50What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 4/19/10 at 11:41pm

Valley Of The Dolls.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#51What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 4/20/10 at 12:14am

>>I have said, and will continue to say, that "Somewhere In Time" would be the perfect book-to-musical adaption if done correctly.<<

Except the book's name is Bid Time Return. Other than that, you are correct.

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#52What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 4/20/10 at 12:30am

"Bid Time Return" would be a perfect musical!

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#53What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 4/20/10 at 1:19am

The book has been published as "Somewhere in Time" for decades. There actually was a musical announced a few years ago, but I don't think anything has come of it?

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#54What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 4/20/10 at 10:00am

I would rather see Jason Robert Brown do THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION than THE GREEN MILE (this in response to a post on page 1).

I've always thought Mercede's Lackey's LAST HERALD-MAGE Trilogy would make an amazing musical. Such passion and life in those characters!

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

PReeves2 Profile Photo
PReeves2
#55What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 4/20/10 at 12:49pm

was Lord of the Rings ever supposed to come to NYC? maybe it could be thrown into the sinking Spiderman ship?

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#56What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 4/20/10 at 1:10pm

GRAVITY'S RAINBOW

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#56What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 4/20/10 at 1:12pm

Oops.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali
Updated On: 4/20/10 at 01:12 PM

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#57What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 4/20/10 at 2:14pm

"The Witches" would be amazing. Luke could be played by one of the Billy Elliots and Grandma could be Angela Lansbury. They could just use the Nederlander that way the mice would work for free.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#58What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 4/20/10 at 3:22pm

was Lord of the Rings ever supposed to come to NYC?

I saw it in London and LOVED it. And I'm not a Lord of Rings fan at all (I slept through the films). As soon as I saw it in Drury Lane, I thought the Hilton would be the perfect venue for it on Broadway. Shame it will probably never be seen in the US.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

gcontini2 Profile Photo
gcontini2
#59What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 4/21/10 at 1:01am

Hey Day

fashionguru_23
#60What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 4/21/10 at 2:08am

Let's just say Broadway is lucky "Lord of the Rings" wasn't on the boards!

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

Mister Matt
#61What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 4/21/10 at 11:02am

Or let's just not say it. Lord of the Rings probably would have been a better venture for Broadway than Lennon, Brooklyn, In My Life, The Story of My Life, 13, and many others, I'm sure. Lord of the Rings was visually stunning and featured a remarkable score. I loved the staging and the costumes (except Galadriel's headpiece) and felt the only scenes that really needed to be fixed were the fight scenes (both in staging and choreography). The rest was quite stunning. The first act finale included the best special effect I've ever seen on stage and The Road Goes On, The Cat and the Moon, Lothlorien, Star of Earendil, and Now and For Always never leave my mp3 player. I could watch The Cat and the Moon choreography daily.

PReeves2 Profile Photo
PReeves2
#62What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 4/21/10 at 12:05pm

I agree with Mister Matt. I saw the show in Toronto and actually liked it. My only problem was the length of the show but, it took 3 movies to tell the entire story so I was certain it wouldn't be a short night at the theater when I went. Loved how the set moved in the fight scenes the choreography and staging got lost in the enormous set. Visually stunning is absolutely correct in concept and design. Once again the only problem is getting the whole story told and/or editing the books down for one show.

fashionguru_23
#63What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 4/21/10 at 1:29pm

Call me old fashioned, all the show was was spectacle. I saw it 3 times, and twice were not my choice.

To me, in my honest opinion, there is no real story other than some little guy needs to destroy a ring. The show was all spectacle, and not real STRONG plot. Now I know many shows today are about visually trying to please the audience, and the heck about story or script, but that;s what LOTR did. Yes, I will agree that there were some visually stunning pieces, but still I was board.

I will say however, after seeing the show both in Toronto and London, the London, production was more polished, and way more closer than what I saw in Toronto. Laura Michelle Kelly was beautiful in her role. I think that possibly if the creative team wanted to look at it, and do some more work on it, to try and work on it. Go ahead!

Mister Matt
#64What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 4/21/10 at 1:49pm

Yes, Lord of the Rings was heavy on spectacle, but I actually much preferred the condensed take on the story and the show ended up being shorter than I anticipated. We were out in under three hours, which is more than I can say for August: Osage County. Lord of the Rings highlighted the story well without getting caught up in details that derail from the main plot. And I felt the films were far more about spectacle and length than the musical. Those drawn-out scenes of preparing for battle or trying to get rid of the ring made me want to yank the hairs out of Peter Jackson's arms by the fistfull. The musical was the first time I was ever entertained by the story. I was never bored and I actually saw it the same night I arrived from my trans-Atlantic flight. I should have been a zombie, but I was really enchanted by the entire show. Another delightful surprise in the West End that will probably never see Broadway was Zorro. The exuberant energy of the cast made the weaknesses of the book forgivable. We bought tickets at the last minute on a whim and we were so pleased we did.

fashionguru_23
#65What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 4/21/10 at 2:05pm

Funny you should mention Zorro. I saw it as well, and thought it was fantastic.

Mister Matt
#66What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 4/21/10 at 2:28pm

I wish I could see Zorro again. I was on cloud nine walking out of the Garrick that day! I wasn't a fan of the story and I wasn't a fan of the Gypsy Kings, but I am a huge fan of that musical. Absolutely charming.

random person 112
#67What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 1/20/12 at 8:48pm

I still really wish we could get a musical about the kennedies, i mean the show would be huge but it would be incredibly stunning if it had the right creative team behind it.

gypsy4
#68What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 1/20/12 at 9:08pm

Eloise at the plaza would make a rather cute musical

b741ma
#69What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 12/2/19 at 4:31pm

actionjaxson91 said: "Carrie proved that this was a bad idea."

That's one example of a musical based on a book not turning out well. Some of the greatest Broadway musicals of all times were based on books. South Pacific, The Sound of Music, Fiddler on the Roof, and Les Miserables were all based on books. If done right they can turn out to be very good.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#70What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 12/2/19 at 4:33pm

I’d like to see Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy directed by Alex Timbers

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

b741ma
#71What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 12/2/19 at 4:37pm

musicaltheater1 said: "There was an off-Broadway production of the Joy Luck Club, the musical.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Photo_Flash_The_Joy_Luck_Club_Opens_Nov7_20071101
"

That wasn't a musical. That was a play with musical staging. If it was a musical they would've listed it as one.

I personally think The Joy Luck Club would make a great musical (I haven't read The Kitchen God's Wife). There's a lot of good characters, interesting themes and the book's multiple narrators and several intertwining vignettes would translate great to the musical world. So many of those chapters could become dramatic monologues or stirring songs. It would also be nice to see more Broadway roles for Asian women.

mpkie
#72What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 12/2/19 at 9:43pm

I would watch the hell out of A Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones musical written by Coldplay. Sure its a book turned TV series but it still counts :)

I'd like to see a musical of 1984.

NOLAguy
#73What BOOK turned MUSICAL would you like to see?
Posted: 12/2/19 at 10:09pm

The Night Circus for sure. Would be such a beautiful stage production.