Memphis or South Pacific

girlpowermch2
#1Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/17/10 at 11:03pm

I am going to be in the city this weekend, and am seeing American Idiot on Friday and Next to Normal (again) on Saturday night.
I have the Saturday matinee slot open to see one other show, and was wondering if I should see Memphis before the Tonys or South Pacific before it closes.
I am a student, so Memphis would most likely be easier/cheaper to see.
I would still like opinions however.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/17/10 at 11:05pm

South Pacific all the way.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#2Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/17/10 at 11:09pm

This shouldn't even be a question. But for you, and for anyone who ever asks:
South Pacific. South Pacific. South Pacific. South Pacific.

There's no better written musical on Broadway right now than South Pacific, and this is is a magical production. See it while you can.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#3Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/17/10 at 11:31pm

Agreed and even with replacements it is still the best revival on Broadway.

Why see NEXT TO NORMAL again when you could see another show that you haven't seen before? After all MEMPHIS is up for several Tony awards, and it just won the Outer Critics Circle Award so you KNOW to have won that it MUST be good [Sarcasm sign]

I liked MEMPHIS for what it was but it is not even in the same ballpark as SOUTH PACIFIC even after more than 60 years.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#4Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/17/10 at 11:38pm

I am confused. This IS a joke, right? Oh it's not? Um.... awkward....

(South Pacific)

girlpowermch2
#5Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/18/10 at 12:01am

I definitely want to see South Pacific more, but don't have much money.
(the tix to the other shows seeing that weekend were a gift (N2N) and bought when had money (AI))
Which show, out of those that have student rush for weekend performances would then recommend seeing, if don't think Memphis is top choice.
As reminder, other shows with student rush on weekends: A Behanding in Spokane, Chicago, Everyday Rapture, Fela, A Little Night Music, Lend Me a Tenor, Promises Promises, Race, Sondheim on Sondheim
(Have already seen La Cage, Next Fall, God of Carnage)
I guess also willing to lotto a show, if lotto is usually not too big
(have already seen Hair, and Wicked)

Playbill Lottery and Rush Policies Updated On: 5/18/10 at 12:01 AM

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#6Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/18/10 at 12:13am

I still say South Pacific. Go to TKTS and get a ticket for 50% off. It'll still be more expensive than a student rush ticket, but it won't be nearly as bad as full price. Plus, whatever seat you get will be fine as there isn't a bad seat in that house.

Of the shows you listed, however, I would say (in order of preference) Everday Rapture, Lend Me a Tenor or Sondheim on Sondheim.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#7Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/18/10 at 12:17am

I can't believe this is even being asked. South Pacific without a doubt.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#8Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/18/10 at 12:22am

So people can't ask questions anymore? I think South Pacific is a great American classic and Memphis is a new rock/jazzy musical that will likely win the Tony so it's a good idea to see it while tix are still easy to get. Both shows are absolutely different. They both have things I liked and didn't like.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#9Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/18/10 at 12:25am

Memphis is a new rock/jazzy musical that will likely win the Tony so it's a good idea to see it while tix are still easy to get.

LOL. Tickets to Memphis will never be hard to get, Tony or not.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#10Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/18/10 at 12:25am

South Pacific for sure. Not my favorite show on earth but the production and score are fantastic.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#11Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/18/10 at 12:30am

Definitely South Pacific. One of the greatest shows ever written. And this production is gorgeous in every way possible. Also, it's closing before the fall, so if you haven't seen it yet, you need to do yourself a favor and see it.

~Steven

bwaylvsong
#12Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/18/10 at 12:46am

South Pacific! And the student rush tickets are the best AND the cheapest on Broadway ($20 for whatever's left in a theatre without any bad seats).

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#13Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/18/10 at 1:05am

South Pacific without question. However, while they do offer student rush they wouldn't offer it when the OP is going. They are going on a Saturday and they only offer student rush on tuesday through thursdays.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#14Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/18/10 at 3:19am

Please do yourself a favor and see South Pacific.

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#15Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/18/10 at 5:25am

South Pacific. Stunning production. Worth whatever you pay to see it. If you don't want to worry about the TKTS line, broadway box has a current discount code.

You will not be sorry.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#16Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/18/10 at 6:35am

Skip the TKTS line and go to the Lincoln Center Atrium Discount Booth. You won't have to wait on a line.

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#17Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/18/10 at 6:41am

South Pacific all the way. Great score, beautiful production, and one of the few shows that actually leave you feeling like you just saw a real show. It's fantastic in all regards, but the sets and full orchestra definitely contribute to that big show feel. This should not be missed.

Bwaynerd Profile Photo
Bwaynerd
#18Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/18/10 at 12:25pm

i know that south pacific is closing but if memphis wins the tony, you wont be able to see it for a while because it'll be sold out. i say memphis

"(in a sweedish accent) Oh! What a lovely T-shirt you are wearing!"- Catherine Zeta-Jones refering to my ALNM shirt at the CD signing. Say NO to drugs and YES to Jackie Hoffman Live At Joes Pub! "ITS THE DAY OF THE SHOW YA'LL!!"-Bwaynerd

angelplays
#19Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/18/10 at 12:44pm

Definitely South Pacific.

I doubt even if Memphis wins that it will be sold out for very long if at all.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#20Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/18/10 at 12:57pm

Bwaynerd, you just listed reasons why South Pacific should be the choice in this scenario. Even if Memphis does win the Tony and sells out for a while (which I highly doubt: even Billy Elliot doesn't completely sell out less than a year after winning, and that was and still is a much bigger hit), it'll possibly still be there for the next trip. South Pacific is in its last, glorious months. This is the first revival ever to hit Broadway. It's one of the few shows (are there any others?) that is an absolute must-see.

~Steven

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#21Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/18/10 at 1:05pm

muscle, can you just SHUT UP. Every single one of your posts has to do with Memphis.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

girlpowermch2
#22Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/19/10 at 5:22pm

So how would sitting in Loge Row D, seat 313 be for South Pacific?
That's what comes up when searching for cheaper of two seat options with discount.

actionjaxson91 Profile Photo
actionjaxson91
#23Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/19/10 at 5:25pm

"Memphis is a new rock/jazzy musical"

Memphis is a new musical? I could have sworn it had some Hairspray, Dreamgirls, and bits of EVERY OTHER MUSICAL THAT HAS TO DO WITH RACIAL RELATIONS OR WITH THE 50'S.

But hey, that's just my take.

See South Pacific. Don't waste your money at Memphis.

actionjaxson91 Profile Photo
actionjaxson91
#24Memphis or South Pacific
Posted: 5/19/10 at 5:26pm

And every seat at the Beaumont is basically a great seat.

Videos