pixeltracker

Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated- Page 3

Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated

broadwayjim42
#50Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/16/10 at 2:53pm

Y'all stole my thunder.

Completely agree with Gallagher,Sands, Burns, Petkoff, Harada, Testa and Hoffman.

Sondheim on Sondheim just have been up for Best Musical as well.

nicole neumann2 Profile Photo
nicole neumann2
#51Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/16/10 at 3:17pm

all the leads from american idiot

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#52Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/16/10 at 3:32pm

PROBABLY SHOULD'VE WON THEIR YEARS:
Rachel York for "Victor/ Victoria"
Amy Spanger for "Kiss Me Kate"
Ruthie Henshall for "Putting It Together"
Sergio Trujillo for "Memphis" (Choreography)

PROBABLY WOULDN'T HAVE NEEDED TO WIN:
Carol Burnett for "Putting It Together"
Ramona Keller for "Brooklyn"
Cheyenne Jackson for "Xanadu"
Matt Cavenaugh for "Grey Gardens"
Rebecca Naomi Jones for "American Idiot"
Either John Gallagher Jr. or Alexander Hanson over Chad Kimball this year

rjm516
#53Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/16/10 at 4:18pm

Definitely Aaron Tveit last year and James Barbour for TOTC seemed the most egregious to me.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#54Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/16/10 at 4:29pm

"I think it's generally agreed upon that Tammy Blanchard took Kerry Butler's spot."

Really? What a pompous reaction...and, since this is a thread of opinions, I respectfully disagree. I think Krakowski's performance is one of the most overrated in recent memory. I loved Blanchard, but Butler and Masterson could've tied for the award as far as I was concerned.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#55Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/16/10 at 4:32pm

Mary Stout for Jane Eyre

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

kchenofan Profile Photo
kchenofan
#56Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/16/10 at 4:50pm

Aaron Tveit- Next to Normal
Kristin Chenoweth- The Apple Tree

kchenofan's computer is broken right now. This is her fridge. Now, you can leave a message, but say it slowly, so I can write it on a post-it note and stick it to myself.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#57Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/16/10 at 5:01pm

That was a HUGE year for lead actresses... Lea Michelle, Kristin Chenoweth AND Ashley Brown all being left out.

BwayFan832
#58Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/16/10 at 5:09pm

Daniel Radcliffe in Equus.

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#59Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/16/10 at 6:40pm

Betty Buckley in "Carrie"

A quick folding flop, I know. But if Delores Gray could win Best Actress in a Musical for a show that only ran a week ("Carnival in Flanders"), she could have been nominated. And that was a weak year for that category.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

Broadwayboy2631 Profile Photo
Broadwayboy2631
#60Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/16/10 at 6:47pm

Tovah Feldshuh was "egregiously overlooked", in the words of a fine dame, in Irena's Vow. Her performance in that play was one of the most moving performances that I have ever seen.

Katarina2
#61Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/17/10 at 8:11pm

Hi, Everyone!

I fell that this year at the Tonys, John Gallagher Jr. was overlooked, along with Bebe Neuwirth, Nathan Lane, and Everyday Rapture. Last year, I thought that Stephanie J. Block was overlooked.

-Katarina

P.S. This is my first post, so I'm sorry if I messed up... Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#62Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/17/10 at 9:12pm

I'll second Daniel Radcliffe in Equus, he was phenomenal and it's a shame he was overlooked.

FunnyGirl617
#63Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/17/10 at 9:16pm

Cotter Smith (Next Fall)
Santino Fontana (Brighton Beach Memoirs)-I know the show wasn't eligible, but he was fantastic-really the whole show was...I'm so glad I was able to see it

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#64Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/17/10 at 9:22pm

Last year, Kristen Scott Thomas...that was a travesty.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

The Other One
#65Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/17/10 at 11:49pm

^ Carey Mulligan as well.

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#66Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/18/10 at 12:21am

Mary Louise Parker-Hedda Gabler
Kristin Scott Thomas-The Seagull
Kristin Chenoweth-The Apple Tree

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

Here I Am Profile Photo
Here I Am
#67Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/18/10 at 12:31am

This year, John Gallagher Jr. and Stark Sands were very much snubbed.

Last year was one of the biggest upsets in recent memory (in my opinion). Not only did Carla Gugino deserve a nomination for her brilliant performance in 'Desire Under the Elms', but she should have walked away with the award hands down.

FrontRow
#68Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/22/10 at 1:11am

Did you guys even see American Idiot? What was in any of those performances that deserved a Tony nomination? Rebecca Naomi Jones for Most Exposed Ass? John Gallagher already has a Tony for playing an angry, disaffected youth. And the other guys were okay but did nothing special, or nothing special was demanded of them. I would NEVER think any perfs in that show were overlooked for even a nom, and you crazy folks thinks they actually should have gotten an award? Sure you can't think of half a dozen movies, TV shows, other plays where you've seen characters like that, portrayed more or less like that? I can!

djb Profile Photo
djb
#69Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/22/10 at 1:20am

Barbara Walsh in the recent revival of "Company"...
completely nuanced, completely brilliant, completely overlooked.
I thought that she was the highlight of the entire production and made Joanne her own.

landryjames2
#70Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/22/10 at 6:50pm

I'll echo Kristin Chenoweth in The Apple Tree (she wouldn't have won as it was Christine Ebersole's year, but she should have had a nomination--and win if it was any other year).

Also, yes yes on Everyday Rapture.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#71Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/22/10 at 7:16pm

Estelle Parsons - August: Osage County (ineligible, but a damn shame)

Ramona Keller - Brooklyn (even those who despised the show often praise her work in it, and rightly so - I miss her to-the-heavens-and-beyond singing)

Carla Gugino - Desire Under the Elms (no one saw it, but she was within an inch of making me faint)

Erin Davie - A Little Night Music (perfect acting; she is both moving and hilarious without missing a beat or playing to the audience)

Angela Lansbury, Lee Remick and Harry Guardino - Anyone Can Whistle (if the cast recording is any indication of their on-stage abilities)

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#72Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 6/23/10 at 12:47pm

Cyndi Lauper - THREEPENNY OPERA

Frank thebellhop Profile Photo
Frank thebellhop
#73Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 8/22/10 at 4:12am

Everyday Rapture = Seizure from pure excitement/happiness!!!! I'm hoping Women on the Verge will be Sherie Rene Scott's make up win.

I also think Putting it Together was a lot better than people give it credit for. I can't believe Ruthie Henshall has never been nominated for a Tony. I know her work over here isn't that extensive but she's just so wonderful you'd think someone would give her a show that would get some attention. Ditto to John Barrowman.

Anika Noni Rose and James Earl Jones in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. The production as a whole had a bit of a "tired Tennesse Williams" vibe to me. I don't know if it was the campy Dynasty stage and costume design or something else. I really wanted to like it but didn't. But their performances were captivating. The roles of Maggie the Cat and Big Daddy can come off as a little melodramatic and in a production so shmaltzy it's mind boggling they were as nuanced as they were.

nobodyhome Profile Photo
nobodyhome
#74Actors that deserved Tonys and weren't even nominated
Posted: 8/22/10 at 5:04am

I agree with McMartin in Follies, Getty in Torch Song Trilogy, and McCarthy in Urinetown. And I'll add Kate Reid for featured actress in a play for Bosoms and Neglect in 1979, and John Gielgud for leading actor in a play for No Man's Land in 1977. All should have won but weren't nominated.

The Tony committee should have allowed Judy Kaye to be nominated for On the Twentieth Century, though I understand why they didn't. I think she'd have won if she'd been nominated.

Ken Jennings and Merle Louise won Drama Desk awards for Sweeney, but weren't nominated for Tonys. They should have been nominated and they probably should have won, although I can't begrudge the awards having gone to Henderson Forsythe and Carlin Glynn. Perhaps they should have tied.

And to diverge from sticking strictly to the question (as others have done), actors who perhaps didn't deserve to win in extremely competitive categories but who surely deserved nominations include Hume Cronyn and Jessica Tandy in Noel Coward in Two Keys, James Earl Jones in Of Mice and Men, Len Cariou in The Speed of Darkness, and George Grizzard in Seascape.