The Tonys find its home!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#2The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 1:42am

The Tonys have now been relegated to handing out the awards at a church in Washington Heights.

Will there be donuts, coffee, and fellowship in the basement afterwards?

Updated On: 7/9/10 at 01:42 AM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 1:53am

Whoa.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

gypsy4
#3The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 1:55am

weird

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#4The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 2:02am

I'd also like to know if Angela Lansbury is going to take the Subway.

I assume they declined the offer to hold the Tony Awards in Hunter Foster's imagination?

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#5The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 2:10am

Hunter personally sought out theatres that Hollywood cognoscenti wouldn't dare visit. Donuts or not. (Hello Aretha Franklin!)

Stamp this with the Hunter Foster Seal of Approval (the HuFSA).

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim
Updated On: 7/9/10 at 02:10 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#6The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 2:11am

I assume they declined the offer to hold the Tony Awards in Hunter Foster's imagination?

WIN.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#7The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 2:14am

Well, this is just awful.

BrianS Profile Photo
BrianS
#8The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 2:24am

Now that the economy isn't in a free-fall, there are a lot more workshops in the pipe which means upcoming seasons that are a lot more vibrant than the last few years (and good shows are THE biggest factor in TONY viewership). That said, until they let critics vote again, the process is just too skewed to the most "tourable" show. I don't know how they can say with a straight face that the Tony currently represents excellence in the theater. Add to that a new podunk location and there is a chance of adding a chintzy feel to some already questionable integrity.

If the audience could do better, they'd be up here on stage and I'd be out there watching them. - Ethel Merman
Updated On: 7/9/10 at 02:24 AM

willep
#9The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 2:31am

What a gorgeous venue. Not sure why everyone is complaining.

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#10The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 2:34am

BECAUSE ANGELA LANSBURY WILL HAVE TO TAKE THE SUBWAY!!!

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"
Updated On: 7/9/10 at 02:34 AM

gypsy4
#11The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 2:45am

Could we have a big Red carpet at the subway?

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#12The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 2:47am

It is a beautiful venue, however it is nothing compared to Radio City. This cirque show better be pretty darn good.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

gypsy4
#13The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 2:50am

I've always thought the New amsterdam would be a perfect Venue for the Tonys!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#14The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 3:02am

Yes but then we'd have to watch Supercalifragilisticexpealidious and then Circle of Life perform for a third time.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#15The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 3:44am

At Angela's age she'll be lucky to still be around next year.

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#16The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 3:54am

Oh. No. You. Didn't.

nomdeplume
#17The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 4:07am

That theater is a treasure. It was built as a theater originally about the time of the stock market crash; it's just owned by a church and has been used for that purpose since they bought it for a song at maybe $250,000 in perhaps the 1970's.

It is one of the most beautifully designed theaters in the city, by Charles Lamb, easily more beautiful than many Broadway houses. It has a grandeur all its own.

The acoustics are excellent, though I hope they've carpeted the floor now, which was just painted concrete under the seats when I saw and explored it . They have concerts there.

I don't agree with Reidel that its architecture is Moorish. I found it more Byzantine than anything in its main architectural style. Perhaps Reidel is thinking of the Christian Byzantine churches which were both seized and copied by the invading Turks. Notice the similar use of Romanesque arches and design as in Lamb's theater. The Islamic invaders copycatted the Byzantine style Christian Churches, as in the "Blue" mosque. There are other styles of architecture which are more original to the Moors/Islamics and are considered Moorish, like some of the castles in Spain including the Alhambra.

Incidentally, a beautiful example of Byzantine architecture in New York City is St. Bartholomew's Church, well worth a visit.
Look down to see St. Sophia Byzantine Christian cathedral seized and usurpt by the Turks as a mosque and another copycat mosque

phantom39 Profile Photo
phantom39
#18The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 4:36am

Seats will still be very limited at the United Palace, which has a capacity of 3,330 compared to Radio City's 6,015.

"Movies will make you famous; television will make you rich; but theatre will make you good." - Terrence Mann.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#19The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 6:01am

Well 3,000 seats is plenty to accommodate the producers and Hollywood folk. Who else really matters?

....but the world goes 'round

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#20The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 7:55am

My favorite quote: The Tonys are movin' up town.

Broadway's tarnished, conflict-riddled awards -- which once honored excel lence in the American theater but now honors "Memphis"! Bwahahahaha.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

iflip4musicals Profile Photo
iflip4musicals
#21The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 8:01am

dramamama I loved that too! I spit out my coffee when I read it!

"I've never encountered such religiously, you know, loyal fans as Broadway musical theater fans. It's amazing." --Allison Janney

Edna Turnblad Profile Photo
Edna Turnblad
#22The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 9:19am

I think it's pretty in an interesting way. I was getting a little tired of the same set on either side of the stage every year at Radio City, so maybe we'll have a nice change. I wonder if, since it has almost half the seats, if they will cut the number of producers able to go,or cut the number of Broadway fans who can go. Probably the second one.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#23The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 10:05am

I think that in order to be able to attend the Tonys, you must be no more well-known than Hunter Foster.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#24The Tonys find its home!
Posted: 7/9/10 at 10:15am

"I think that in order to be able to attend the Tonys, you must be no more well-known than Hunter Foster."

Well, that leaves me out.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Videos