Smiths say NO to Broadway!

iluvtheatertrash
#1Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 10:02am

And we've got Biblical vampires to thank:

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Will_Smith_Set_for_Cain_Film_Couple_Wont_be_Coming_to_Broadway_20010101

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 10:05am

Too bad, so sad. I guess now we can start thinking about that all black cast of OKLAHOMA that's being rumored.

iluvtheatertrash
#2Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 10:07am

Weren't the Weissler's saying something about an all-white Raisin revival?

Updated On: 7/18/10 at 10:07 AM

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#3Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 10:08am

Another vampire movie?

....but the world goes 'round

Jordan Catalano
#4Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 10:09am

No Trash, that was PURLIE but it fell through because Woody Allen and Dakota Fanning wouldn't commit to a 6 month Broadway contract.
Updated On: 7/18/10 at 10:09 AM

iluvtheatertrash
#5Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 10:11am

Riiiiight, right. Thanks for clarifying.

Jordan Catalano
#6Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 10:12am

My pleasure. You know you can always count on me to find out what's actually true or not.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#7Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 11:06am

Maybe the Smiths will come back for the Roundabout revival of that 1973 musical hit, Raisin.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#8Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 11:09am

Jordan, BWW's very own Reidel!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Gothampc
#9Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 11:19am

There was no way that Will Smith would be believed as the lead in Streetcar. Maybe the lead in Private Lives, but definitely not Streetcar.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#10Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 11:40am

Hunter and Jen must be thrilled.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#11Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 11:45am

Sutton and Hunter as Blanche and Stanley---I'm liking it.
Chris Sieber and Jen as Mitch and Stella, of course.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#12Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 11:45am

Good. That was the most boring "movie star casting" I'd seen yet.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#13Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 12:51pm

How out of touch am I that I thought this thread was going to be about a reuniting of Mozz & Co.?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Mildred Plotka Profile Photo
Mildred Plotka
#14Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 12:55pm

Smiths say NO to Broadway!

Okay who thought this thread was about these Smiths?

Now that's a jukebox musical I'd like!

"Broadway...I'll lick you yet!"
Updated On: 7/18/10 at 12:55 PM

Justaguy2
#15Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 4:49pm

Girlfriend in a Coma: The Musical or How Soon is Now?: The Musical or Meat is Murder: The Musical.

There have been worse Jukebox Musicals.

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#16Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 6:11pm

HA! Mildred, that was exactly my first thought too!

Guess that shows how far down my list of favorite humans Will Smith and his wife are! HAHA!

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"
Updated On: 7/19/10 at 06:11 PM

metsfan
#17Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 6:21pm

I did, Mildred!

And I was really bummed. I was hoping for that jukebox musical MEAT IS MURDER.

#18Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 8:45pm

Please please please let me get what I want this time- a SMITHS JUKEBOX MUSICAL!

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#19Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 9:05pm

Sutton as Blanche? Holy ****, I'd buy a ticket and show up for a non-stop laugh fest. She can do musical comedy, I'll grant you, but a southern-fried Tennessee Williams drama? I can name 10 Broadway actresses right off the top of my head who are better suited for the part.

As for the Smiths, I hate them. Why would they do Broadway? They can't even act in the movies or on television. They are just money-grubbing celebrities (in what is likely a lavender marriage...just try to find one genuine thing about their public lives).

End of rant.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#20Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 9:58pm

Sounds like someone was denied having their picture taken with the Smith's.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#21Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/18/10 at 10:06pm

How sweet.

I'm hardly the only one who despises them. I have never seen worse performances and bigger paychecks in my life. They have considerably diluted the talent pool and the demand for competent acting, which hurts us all.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

laura is broadway Profile Photo
laura is broadway
#22Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/19/10 at 2:35am

I thought it was about the band too, and though I generally dislike jukebox musicals, they are my favorite band so I was a bit disappointed.

bubba7753
#23Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/19/10 at 4:51pm

The reason why they said no is because broadway is alot more difficult than making a movie. you actually need a brain on broadway.They can give you a teleprompter or cue cards for a movie.

Let someone who wants to be there have the leads.

hotjohn Profile Photo
hotjohn
#24Smiths say NO to Broadway!
Posted: 7/19/10 at 7:32pm

Oh no, it's not a Smiths jukebox musical - heaven knows, I'm miserable now!

Videos