News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?

So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?

sundaymorning6am
#1So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 10:30am

Do you think the said, "If the show closes, a lot of actors are going to be out of work!" or what?

lightguy06222
#2So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 10:46am

Money. You have enough of it, you can do whatever the hell you want. I imagine the producers bought an equity card for little Billy.

sundaymorning6am
#2So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 10:51am

Ah, yes, this is probably true.

BTW, lightguy, it's "Billie."

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#3So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 10:52am

I'm pretty sure Joan Jett never got her card in Rocky Horror.

I don't really understand the point of this. Are you implying that something shady had to be done to get him his Equity card? Like Equity would ever refuse a dime.

ghostlight2
#4So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 10:53am

This really isn't such a mystery. Equity grants cards quite freely when there's a good reason for it - and this is a good reason. Many a good stage manager has gotten their AEA card because they did an off-Broadway show that moved on into Equity territory. Rather than replace such an integral piece of the puzzle with an Equity SM unfamiliar with the show, Equity will often grant the original SM AEA membership - and will often waive the initiation fee as well.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#5So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 10:57am

Equity makes exceptions quite often when there is a justifiable reason.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#6So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 11:00am

Yeah, like ghostlight said, it's done all the time. Billie Joe Armstrong is hardly the first musician to make a theatrical debut on Broadway without having his equity card beforehand.

This thread really isn't about that and more about finding a reason to bitch about American Idiot, right?

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#7So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 11:03am

This thread really isn't about that and more about finding a reason to bitch about American Idiot, right?

Nowhere in the OP's first post did they let on that this was a negative question. They were just asking how it's done and how the producers approached AEA.

ghostlight2
#8So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 11:12am

Could be the way sunday6am posed the question, but I took it as having a negative slant as well.

sundaymorning6am
#9So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 11:14am

WHOA:
No, this thread wasn't to imply shady **** going on at AI, at ALL. I was honestly just curious if the producers would buy him a card for a week, if they would think that'd be worth the money.

I wasn't bitching about AI, or implying back-alley deals with Equity. Check my posting history, I adore this show.

Sorry this got so misconstrued. I was honestly just curious.
Updated On: 9/28/10 at 11:14 AM

ghostlight2
#10So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 11:25am

Thanks for the clarification. I don't know what the Equity initiation is anymore, but I can't imagine it's more than $2000, probably less. Membership is $90 a year. So the money spent is unquestionably worth it.

mybigsplash Profile Photo
mybigsplash
#11So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 11:30am

Does anyone think this will result in increased ticket sales for more than just the 1 week he's in it?

Stephen: "Could you grab me a coffee?" Me: "Would you like that with all the colors of the wind?"

broadwayrocks2
#12So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 1:33pm

MYBIGSPLASH I have 1 question for you . Are you a fan of American Idiot ? DO you thik its a good musical ? Secondly any time you start with the word SO it puts a negitive vibe on it. I also felt it to be negative .

bwaylvsong
#13So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 1:41pm

My questions are "how are they advertising this?" and "does Billie himself have any name recognition or will they have to promote it as 'now starring Billie Joe Armstrong, lead singer of Green Day'?"

MyLife
#14So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 1:54pm

Green Day fan know who Bille Joe Armstrong is.

People who want to see the show and brag about it but don't really know Green Day will need to be drawn in by "starring the lead singer of Green Day."

The advertising is the biggest issue, IMO. Green Day fans are worldwide and it would have been nice if they announced this a couple months in advance. They would undoubtedly have sold out the entire week.

ahhrealmonsters
#15So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 1:57pm

I doubt Jordin Sparks had an Equity card before ITH. I could be wrong, though. I think many times, stunt casting includes joining the union.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#16So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 3:26pm

Rosie O'Donnell in GREASE!
Julia Roberts in THREE DAYS OF RAIN
Corbin Bleu in IN THE HEIGHTS
Lance Bass in HAIRSPRAY
Daniel Radcliffe in EQUUS
Clay Aiken in SPAMALOT
Haylie Duff in HAIRSPRAY
Jordin Sparks in IN THE HEIGHTS.

All performed on Broadway without Equity cards.

dontevenstart
#17So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 3:38pm

All those people listed do in fact have their equity cards and if it was their first job in an Equity theatre, they (or the producers) paid their dues in order to get them to be in the show.

Plenty of people do not have Equity cards and get jobs in Equity productions, therefore having to get their Equity card. It's as simple as that.

They only time concessions are made is when an actor from another country comes. Equity had made exchange deals with British Equity and Canadian Equity and I believe Australian Equity. Where they can bring people over to US shows, but then we are allowed to put just as many American actors in their shows.

The only other time you can be in a Broadway show without an Equity card is if you are a non-speaking, non-singing, non-dancing role. Basically an extra. Some were seen in "Pal Joey" and "The Ritz".

RazzleDazzle3
#18So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 3:42pm

Dontevenstart is exactly right. All it takes to get your Equity card is to be offered an Equity contract. The initiation fees are approx. $1200 (so ten full price tickets). I think the producers know its worth it to spend the $1200 to get Billie on stage for the week.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#19So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 3:49pm

Isn't there another rule if you're in a sister union like SAG?

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

dontevenstart
#20So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 3:53pm

Yes, if you are a member, in good standing, of any of the 4A's unions (AEA, SAG, AGMA, AGVA and GIAA) for more than a year, you can buy your way into any of the other 4A unions without any kind of contract. You pay the initiation fees and are a member

ALittlePriest Profile Photo
ALittlePriest
#21So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 4:06pm

You don't have to join Equity if it is your first Equity production. In fact, of the three original Billys in Billy Elliot, only two joined equity, and David Alvarez did not, citing, "He did not have immediate plans to return to Broadway" If he changes his mind later, he will have to join later. Because he starred in an equity production, he is always eligible now. The producers and managers of BE don't get in trouble from Equity for employing him (as his first Bway production) after he opted out of joining Equity, because they still paid him at equity scale, and provided him the same benefits regardless. This is the only case I was privileged too regarding Equity, but as far as I know, if its your first show, you don't have to join right away, but you do later if you want to continue working on Broadway and in Equity productions. For SAG they make you join (and aren't required to until) after your first three SAG credits, otherwise you can't do anymore unless you join after your third SAG job.

AEA AGMA SM
#22So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 4:21pm

And really, the producers don't even need to "buy" his card. When joining you have up to 2 years to pay off the full initiation fee ($400 of which MUST be paid off within six months of the first day of work as an Equity member). If you don't pay it off in this time your membership is revoked and, should you take another Equity job after this, you are starting from scratch. But for this one week contract he could easily "join," the producers could withhold the appropriate working dues (currently 2.25% of your gross salary), the week ends, and he either decides he may potentially want to come back to the stage and finish paying off the initiation fees, or he walks away and is done, simple as that.

Unless Billie Joe has at some point renounced his American citizenship there are no "deals" that would have had to have been worked out with Equity.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#23So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/28/10 at 5:01pm

As the composer and lyricist, I'm sure he had SOME advantage in this- it's not like this is his first Broadway endeavor, just his first as performer.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#24So how do we think AI is working out a deal with Equity to get BJA onstage?
Posted: 9/29/10 at 12:54am

Just to clarify (because I haven't seen the correct number yet):

Initiation: $1100
-$400 is due up front (within 6 months of your first contract)
-The rest is due within two years.
-The $100 fee to join EMC applies to this total as well

Yearly dues: $120 (Paid in two payments, spring and fall)

Equity usually takes these fees out of paychecks. The $1100 dollars will be taken out in installments each week in amounts that vary depending on the type of contract you are on. My total initiation fee was paid off in my first two contracts.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Videos