pixeltracker

Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMAL TOUR

Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMAL TOUR

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#2Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/20/10 at 12:37pm

Good for Asa Somers! I saw him as Doctor Madden/Doctor Fine at 2nd Stage, and he was fantastic.

The cast (of who I know) sounds great. I'll try to see this in Toronto when it comes.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

iluvtheatertrash
#2Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/20/10 at 12:49pm

Asa Somers can't act. And is a little too young for Alice.

...no?

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#3Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/20/10 at 12:57pm

I was already planning to see this for Emma Hunton. Jeremy Kushnier is just icing on the cake. Woohoo!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Lefou Profile Photo
Lefou
#4Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/20/10 at 12:57pm

anybody hear who Alice's understudy is? Also Kushnier is an awesome choice (would have thought of him as more of a Dan, but his Dr. Madden is going to be rockin')

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#5Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/20/10 at 12:58pm

I MUST see this tour now!

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#6Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/20/10 at 1:00pm

I can see Kushnier as Dan more than I can see him as the Doctors although I'm sure he'll be fine in those roles.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

chellie
#7Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/20/10 at 1:38pm

I heard Asa was quite good as Dan when he went on as a standby. I didn't much care for him at Second Stage (though it might have been more the role than him particularly), but I'll definitely be seeing this.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#8Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/20/10 at 1:42pm

Wasn't Asa the understudy for Jerry/Joe Kennedy Jr. in GREY GARDENS? He was playing a teen and a man in his early 20s.

So is Diana now a cougar? He seems a bit too young for Ripley, but maybe he just looks a lot younger than his actual age.

"I was so dumb...and young...and now I am OLD!"

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#9Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/20/10 at 2:13pm

Somers is only a few years younger than Ripley...he does read young perhaps.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#10Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/20/10 at 2:23pm

Somers was a fine Dr. Madden off-Broadway, though the role was very poorly (and under) written then.

I have heard mixed reviews of his performance as Dan- he went on 3 times, I believe, all with Alice. I'm sure it will be incredibly well-sung, regardless.
Updated On: 10/20/10 at 02:23 PM

beautywickedlover
#11Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/20/10 at 2:45pm

I guess J. Robert Spencer did not want to reprise the role of Dan on tour because he was mostly absent towards the end of his run on Broadway supposedly due to vocal problems.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#12Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/20/10 at 3:05pm

I don't think J. Robert Spencer had vocal problems. I know he had a lot of scheduled absences before his run in n2n was finished. I know Alice had numerous vocal problems though.

shrekster224 Profile Photo
shrekster224
#13Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/20/10 at 3:32pm

Anyone know who the understudies are?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#14Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/20/10 at 4:09pm

I was going to say that Asa Somers and Ripley look like they should be together but then stupidly remembered they are together by marriage not blood :S.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#15Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/20/10 at 7:23pm

Asa Somers is 41. He's a year younger than Brian d'Arcy James and two years older than Jason Danieley. He's age-appropriate for the role of Dan, especially considering that Dan and Diana had Gabriel when they were undergraduates in college. That would put them in the 37-40 age range. If anything, Ripley (47 in December) and Mazzie (just turned 50) are a bit too old for the role...at least from the perspective of the details in the libretto.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

purtynpynk Profile Photo
purtynpynk
#16Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/20/10 at 8:53pm

I must say as a Chicagoan who loved Jersey Boys and saw Jeremy Kushnier in the show a lot, I think he's going to be great in the role of Dr. Madden/Dr. Fine. If i wasn't excited enough about getting to see Alice Ripley (when i saw it on Broadway, she was out), now I get to see him perform too. Not familiar with the other actors as much, but I'm beyond excited for next May when it comes to Chicago!

balletandbroadway
#17Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/20/10 at 9:39pm

So excited about Curt Hansen! He's fantastic. I'm sure he'll do an excellent job. His family and his hometown are so incredibly proud of him.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it."-- Ferris Bueller's Day Off

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#18Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/21/10 at 12:33pm

Any idea who the understudies will be?

CCalamuso
#19Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/21/10 at 1:53pm

I Cant WAIT for the tour!!!! I dont think alice looks a day over 40 so I think everyone will look just fine!

actormcfamous
#20Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/22/10 at 11:49pm

Caitlin Kinnunen (Thea in SPRING AWAKENING on Broadway) is the Natalie standby.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#21Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/23/10 at 12:39am

What a coincidence...Emma Hunton and Jenn Damiano and Caitlin Kinnunen were all in Spring Awakening!

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#22Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/23/10 at 1:25pm

... and Perry Sherman who is the standby for Gabe/Henry.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
fade2black2 Profile Photo
fade2black2
#24Ripley, Somers, Hansen, Hunton, Sadleir & Kushnier to Star in NEXT TO NORMA
Posted: 10/30/10 at 8:56am

Jason Watson (Dan/Doctor) Pearl Sun (Diane) U/S's

Videos