FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#1FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 10/22/10 at 1:50pm

Well the first review of FOR COLORED GIRLS has come in, and it's a doozy from The Hollywood Reporter.

"For once, Tyler Perry doesn't put his name above the title, but perhaps he should with "For Colored Girls" to distinguish this train wreck of a movie from the stunning theater piece of 36 years ago by Ntozake Shange."

I'm hoping for better, but not really expecting it.

The Hollywood Reporter: For Colored Girls -- Film Review

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 10/22/10 at 01:50 PM

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#2FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 10/22/10 at 6:29pm

A few people not at liberty to review the film have been sneaking information to the big film blogs. Two different anonymous sources have contradictory views at Hollywood Elsewhere. http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2010/10/split_perrygirl.php

The common thread on all the sites like this is Perry didn't do enough to transform the material, only providing superficial changes to create the appearance of narrative in what's essentially just a character piece. The actors are mostly getting good notes, with the not-well-known-enough-to-nominate performers getting the best marks. Someone even claimed Macy Gray was the breakout acting performance in the film. http://incontention.com/2010/10/15/gray-and-elise-the-pick-of-for-colored-girls/

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 10/22/10 at 7:46pm

I was hoping against hope that this would be a great film, especially since it's rare now that Whoopi actually acts. Sad...

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 10/22/10 at 8:10pm

I'm not surprised. The material would have been hard for anyone to adapt to the screen- much less Tyler Perry, who, is as a director, is competent at best.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#4FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 10/22/10 at 9:14pm

How disappointing, though I can't say I'm surprised. I'll still see it and hope for the best, though.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#5FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 11/4/10 at 4:14pm

Roger Ebert: **1/2

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#6FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 11/4/10 at 4:29pm

"Tyler wishes for the seamlessness of Altman's The Company, a beautiful commentary on life as a constant mode of performance, but when he cuts to Nyla and her teacher, Yasmine, in ballet class, or from some frenetic new episode in one of his character's lives to an opera attended by Jo and her hubby, it's to emphasize little more than the fact that his story is full of nothing but drama—and it makes you want to wail, all Mary J. Blige-like, for no more of it."

http://slantmagazine.com/film/review/for-colored-girls/5127

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

auggie Profile Photo
auggie
#7FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 11/5/10 at 10:31am

Cleveland Plain Dealer is mixed:http://www.cleveland.com/moviebuff/index.ssf/2010/11/tyler_perrys_for_colored_girls.html

This quote did catch my eye though:
Equally hard to stomach is Jackson, reaching ever so hard for supporting- actress nods, in a teary-eyed assessment of her husband's extracurricular activities. Save the tape and use it in your next how-not-to-act-in-a-movie lesson.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#8FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 11/5/10 at 10:36am

Well, I seldom go to the movies, but there a five newbies that had my interest. For Colored Girls, Fair Game, Megamind, Due Date, and 127 Hours. I'll cross For Colored Girls off my list, at least until video.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#9FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 11/5/10 at 10:50am

The reviews are honestly all over the map.

The film gets a big rave in the New York Times today.Very intriguing.
FOR COLORED GIRLS

Roscoe
#10FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 11/5/10 at 11:00am

An intriguing review:

Real Colored Girls Are Offended And Bored

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

#11FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 11/5/10 at 11:05am

I can't WAIT to hear Medea rip into that poetry!

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#12FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 11/5/10 at 11:39am

This is a really interesting situation with the film. The bad reviews are almost all saying that it is the production design--sets, lighting, etc.--that bring the film down, with some also commenting on Perry focusing on tragedy. You know, the tragedy that exists in the stage play? Some reviewers just seem reluctant to admit that Tyler Perry did anything right as a filmmaker.

The good reviews say it's messy but worthwhile for the performances and the beautiful dramatic poetry. All the actors have received rave reviews and scathing reviews. Even Perry is receiving some raves. In other words, it's a highly polarizing, highly theatrical film that was never, ever going to hit it off with mainstream film critics. I think I'm seeing it in theaters now.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#13FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 11/5/10 at 11:52am

Yay! I have been craving another poorly made, reactionary, sanctimonious, anti-sex Tyler Perry joint for so long!

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

#14FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 11/5/10 at 11:58am

Doesn't anyone ever get bothered by the fact that in Tyler Perry's world, the only wise black women are men?

Jordan Catalano
#15FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 11/5/10 at 12:27pm

I don't care what anyone says. It's got Thandie in it. She could be in a snuff film and I'd go see it.

Brick
#16FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 11/5/10 at 12:48pm

That NY Times review spent 3 paragraphs defending Perry and his (awful, though popular) films. And I didn't hear one piece of defense that actually answered why his films are so clunky and contrite. I'm sorry, because he comes from the "chitlin' circuit"? I don't care. No one gives musical movies, comic books, or any other adaptation genre a break when they are terrible films. Why should any bar be lowered for him?

Edna Turnblad Profile Photo
Edna Turnblad
#17FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 11/5/10 at 10:49pm

Granted, I didn't read the entire reviews, but on Rotten Tomatoes, the several of the top critics who didn't like it seemed to think, based on the excerpts that I read, that the film was bad because it drew so heavily from the play. For me that's what makes a good adaptation. I wonder if that means they just don't like the play.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#18FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 11/5/10 at 11:45pm

I like his films. They are much better than his plays. The problem is he has a "formula" that he doesn't really stray away from. I saw a clip of Janet and wasn't really impressed. Her tirade in "Why Did I Get Married Too" was impressive though.

I was afraid he wasn't going to do this piece justice. But I won't pass judgement until I see it.

Just give the world Love.

Brick
#19FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 11/6/10 at 12:00am

No, most of the reviews I'm reading that don't like it complain Perry didn't find a way to make the poetic language work. His film goes back and forth from contemporary melodrama and the poetic monologues. I don't see this as being a NINE situation, where critics are ignorant of the piece and don't see how the film isn't representing the material well. In fact, I'm surprised by the number of critics who are quite knowledgeable of the play, and some even the original production.

Jordan Catalano
#20FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 11/7/10 at 1:24pm

I saw it this morning and have to say that I found it to be an absolutely incredible film. If I didn't know Perry had directed it, I never would have guessed, it really is a departure from his previous films, but that has a lot to do with the source material. I personally enjoyed the use of monologue and how it was done here, but I definitely can see how it would turn some people off. I looked at it the same way as if it were a musical. These women take a break from everyday language to say what they need to in the only way they can at that moment, exactly as if it were song.

The performances were all 100% top notch but special attention must be paid to Kimberly Elise who for years now has shown what a versatile and brilliant actress she is. I hope that even though these reviews haven't been too kind, her performance is remembered come awards season because she truly deserves it. Even Janet Jackson turns in a heartbreaking performance, something Perry hasn't really let her latest films with him (and her only films).

I guess this will just be another one of those movies that I love and everyone else hates. But there's a long list of those... :)

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#21FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 11/7/10 at 1:58pm

I saw the film yesterday afternoon and agree with Jordan 100%. Especially about Kimberly Elise... just incredible.

BroadwayBound17 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound17
#22FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 11/7/10 at 4:15pm

The film was completely beautiful. It kept my father (who definitely has a problem with falling asleep in movies) awake the entire time. Despite the fact that my father and I were the only white boys in the entire cinema in a sold out movie, it was breathless. That wasn't supposed to be racist, just kind of funny in my book.

Go see it, you'll love it. Completely oscar worthy material and made me feel as if I have my life wasn't so bad. The characters are SO easy to relate to. And if you can't relate to one character, you know someone who could relate to that character.

This is a beautiful movie that I personally feel will be recognized for years as a true classic.

2011: In The Heights Tour 1/16/11, The Color Purple Tour 2/11/11, West Side Story Tour 3/18/11

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#23FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 11/7/10 at 5:03pm

Kimberly Elise just rocks. Period.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 11/7/10 at 05:03 PM

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#24FOR COLORED GIRLS review thread
Posted: 11/7/10 at 6:12pm

Regardless of some of the terrible reviews, I am still excited to see this film.....Most of the time I dont agree with the reviews I read anyhow.