pixeltracker

Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2

Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2

Lenexajones Profile Photo
Lenexajones
#2Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 10:40am

Damn. Just confirmed a trip to NY the following week and this was at the top of the list. Now need to figure a new one out...

quitetheatrical23
#2Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 10:43am

a real shame...

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#3Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 10:44am

So, the only show that opened during the first half of the season to survive past January will be...Lombardi?

jessica0414 Profile Photo
jessica0414
#4Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 10:45am

Damn! Was really hoping to make a trip this spring and wanted to see this Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2 alas.

"You don't just stop posting horse s*** on the web!"-The [Title of Show] Show

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#5Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 11:03am

Well, I guess I need to stop procrastinating on seeing this now, haha.

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#6Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 11:06am

Sad. I really enjoyed the show when I saw it in September and was hoping to catch it again. I'm glad I was able to see it once, though.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#7Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 11:15am

Best new musical of this season BY FAR. Sad to see it go.

Spotlightjb
#8Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 12:22pm

I am so disappointed. I know it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but it will be missed.

DeNada
#9Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 12:24pm

Of COURSE they have interest from London, the city where youth-skewing rock musicals about American presidents we've never heard of are ALL THE RAGE.

Blimey, everything's dropping like flies at the moment. Then again, it's this bad every year...

wexy
#10Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 12:40pm

I loved it at The Public but I didn't think it would succeed on Broadway.
It should go back Off.

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

Brick
#11Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 12:47pm

You'd never heard of Andrew Jackson? Did you not make it past 5th grade?

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#12Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 12:51pm

Uhm, Brick? Given that he's British, it's conceivable that folks over there wouldnt care to know who Andrew Jackson was. I mean, can you tell me the name of the first Canadian prime minister without looking it up on Google?

Insofar as the Bway run, I was a little surprised to see the early closing notice. The show's surprisingly good IMHO, and it had serious eye candy for a lead that would appeal to the teen-girl audience that have now aged out of LITTLE MERMAID and WICKED (and kpet those shows running for as long as they have). Not saying it should have been a sure thing, but it does surprise me.

http://docandraider.com

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#13Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 12:55pm

Sean, this is AMERICA, and EVERYONE should know AMERICA, or maybe the just should POST here.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#14Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 1:01pm

I'll bet a pretty low percentage of Americans, 5th grade completed or otherwise, could tell you who Andrew Jackson was without Google.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#15Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 1:13pm

Thank GOD for GOOGLE.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#16Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 1:18pm

Damn I had tickets to see this in January. What will happen with my ticket will they contact me?

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#17Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 1:22pm

If you purchased the ticket through Telecharge, you will just be refunded automatically.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#18Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 1:24pm

I saw BBAJ a fwe weeks ago when I was in NYC, and while I appreciated Benjamin Walker's charismatic performance, I found the writing very juvenile.

I thought SCOTTSBORO BOYS a far better show.

That said I am sickened that Broadway no longer seems to welcome original musicals. All we are left with are rehashes of popular films with name recognition, Jukebox shows built around pre-existing song catalogs and revivals of older hits.

I give producers full credit for trying. It seems a sound idea to try out a show off Broadway and work out the kinks before trying a full commercial run. Yet it always seems they sell the exact same number of tickets but with the higher operating costs of a Broadway house.

I blame the outrageously high Broadway ticket costs. People will only buy what they can feel reasonably assured of enjoying.

It's sad but I think it's all over for Broadway in terms of original and challenging new musicals.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#19Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 1:29pm

thanks frogs....so sad this is happening!

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#20Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 1:30pm

At least there's The Book of Mormon on the way. It's truly an original.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#21Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 1:47pm

I was surprised this even made it to Broadway at all. I saw it at the Public and found it amateurish and completely forgettable.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#22Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 2:22pm

caught the show last night...and glad i did. i totally get why people were a bit polarized by it tho. Not even addressing the fact that the Public brought it to Broadway after the successful run it had downtown (and at the Kirk Douglas in LA)

Benjamin Walker is amazing, charismatic and a true Broadway talent. The show itself is good...so catch it, ahem, while you can

the direction was flawless and the theater was designed (not just the set but the theater as well) so perfectly...lighting, taxidermy, the mis-en-scene (can i use that word for talking about the props etc?)

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#23Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 2:49pm

That said I am sickened that Broadway no longer seems to welcome original musicals.

Aren't In the Heights, Avenue Q and Next to Normal original? Completely original musicals have always been rare and their success is even rarer. I don't think there's anything that qualifies this as a new trend. Most musicals are adapted from something. Still, Spring Awakening and Light in the Piazza had original scores and neither were based on popular films of recent memory. And personally, I thought both Billy Elliot and Legally Blonde stood on their own as musicals and prefer them both to their film predecessors.

Either way, I didn't see BBAJ as a commercially viable piece for Broadway and being an out-of-towner, I have seen much marketing for the show. I often forgot it had opened. I thought Scottsboro might fare better given the pedigree of its creators, but I didn't expect an out-and-out hit, especially during the holidays when tourists generally seek out lighter or more familiar works.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

denali.fire Profile Photo
denali.fire
#24Confirmed: BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON to Close January 2
Posted: 12/1/10 at 6:11pm

Will Book of Mormon distribute Playbills or the Watchtower.?

To seek revenge may lead to hell yet everyone does it but seldom as well......