Stage door étiquette

SondheimFan23 Profile Photo
SondheimFan23
#1Stage door étiquette
Posted: 1/6/11 at 12:31pm

So in July I saw La Cage Aux Follies. It was a Wed. matinee and Kelsey Grammar kindly came out to sign autographs. Suddenly, a woman shouted out "Hey Kelsey! Looking for a fourth wife?!" I found that terribly rude and disrespectful, especially after he graciously came out and signed everyone's autograph. What are your views on how someone should act at the stage door? Also, do you feel that actors have the right not to come out?

"Look I made a hat... where there never was a hat." "Think of how I adore you, think of how much you love me. If I were perfect for you, wouldn't you tire of me?" "Somebody, crowd me with love. Somebody, force me to care. Somebody, make me come through, I'll always be there, as frightened as you, to help us survive. Being alive. Being alive. Being alive!" "There are worse things than staring at the water as you're posing for a picture after sleeping on the ferry after getting up at seven to come over to an island in the middle of a river half an hour from the city on a Sunday!"

yournamehere Profile Photo
yournamehere
#2Stage door étiquette
Posted: 1/6/11 at 12:44pm

Was it Camille?

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#2Stage door étiquette
Posted: 1/6/11 at 12:59pm

This has been discussed to death, but yes, the actors have the right to not come out or sign, if they don't want to. And as for that woman's comment, people are always going to say stupid things like that. That's nothing new at all.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#3Stage door étiquette
Posted: 1/6/11 at 2:29pm

People are sheep and morons and it gets worse by the day. They fail to realize that the people on TV are actual human beings with real feelings and emotions.

Most celebrities pay no mind to what people say-its a survival technique. Most people are morons at the stage door. The woman who said that probably couldn't get laid in a henhouse.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

rmusic11322
#4Stage door étiquette
Posted: 1/6/11 at 2:56pm

Out of curiosity, what was his and everyone else's reaction to that?

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#5Stage door étiquette
Posted: 1/6/11 at 4:27pm

Seems like a reasonable question.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Jersey Girl2 Profile Photo
Jersey Girl2
#6Stage door étiquette
Posted: 1/6/11 at 4:39pm

>>>>Most people are morons at the stage door

I think most people are polite and appreciative at the stage door. Only the rude/ obnoxious ones are remembered or noticed.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss."

dave1606
#7Stage door étiquette
Posted: 1/6/11 at 4:43pm

Well nothing can ever compare to when I heard someone yell out to Brian D'arcy James, "I love your eyebrows." It is both hilarious and creepy.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#8Stage door étiquette
Posted: 1/6/11 at 5:34pm

Well nothing can ever compare to when I heard someone yell out to Brian D'arcy James, "I love your eyebrows." It is both hilarious and creepy.

Ha- did anyone else just have a flashback to this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seEMg5vfpf4

(eta: warning, language might be a little nsfw)

Updated On: 1/6/11 at 05:34 PM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#9Stage door tiquette
Posted: 1/6/11 at 5:42pm

Was it a red-headed medium sucking on a fake cigarette?

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

yournamehere Profile Photo
yournamehere
#10Stage door tiquette
Posted: 1/6/11 at 5:45pm

Hahaha. Ah, you made a typo. She was a "medium" if anything.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#11Stage door tiquette
Posted: 1/6/11 at 6:08pm

When I went to see 'Oliver!' yesterday, Griff Rhys Jones signed someone's programme at the stage door and the man said "Oh, cheers Griff!"

I think that calling a performer by their first name is a bit rude. I always stick to "Mr." and "Mrs."
Updated On: 1/6/11 at 06:08 PM

kchenofan Profile Photo
kchenofan
#12Stage door tiquette
Posted: 1/6/11 at 6:26pm

I don't think it's necessarily rude to call a performer by their first name. I think it's more polite if you use a title like "Mr." or "Mrs.", but I don't feel like it's expected in this day and age, especially by the younger generation. That being said, I try to use titles with older performers, but that's honestly the only time.

kchenofan's computer is broken right now. This is her fridge. Now, you can leave a message, but say it slowly, so I can write it on a post-it note and stick it to myself.

ClapYo'Hands
#13Stage door tiquette
Posted: 1/6/11 at 6:38pm

Well, I guess I find it awkward more than anything, in most cases, you don't know the person... I guess it is an age thing, i'm more likely to call Kerry Ellis "Kerry" I guess...

Someone gave Kerry a present, what do you guys think about giving presents at the stage door? Updated On: 1/6/11 at 06:38 PM

kchenofan Profile Photo
kchenofan
#14Stage door tiquette
Posted: 1/6/11 at 6:54pm

I think if you're a fan of the performer, it's sweet to give them a little something. That's not to say you should give them designer goods like I've heard of people doing recently. I saw on YouTube that someone gave SJB a Funny Girl tote bag had they had printed. I've also seen teddy bears and similar gifts given. I think something small is appropriate. Use your best judgment.

kchenofan's computer is broken right now. This is her fridge. Now, you can leave a message, but say it slowly, so I can write it on a post-it note and stick it to myself.

SondheimFan23 Profile Photo
SondheimFan23
#15Stage door tiquette
Posted: 1/6/11 at 9:17pm

To answer rmusic, the fans were to business trying to get their autographs to notice or care and Kelsey said "Not right now," with a forced smile. Also, to everyone, is there any performer you know of that doesn't go to the stage door?

"Look I made a hat... where there never was a hat." "Think of how I adore you, think of how much you love me. If I were perfect for you, wouldn't you tire of me?" "Somebody, crowd me with love. Somebody, force me to care. Somebody, make me come through, I'll always be there, as frightened as you, to help us survive. Being alive. Being alive. Being alive!" "There are worse things than staring at the water as you're posing for a picture after sleeping on the ferry after getting up at seven to come over to an island in the middle of a river half an hour from the city on a Sunday!"

Wishing Only Wounds Profile Photo
Wishing Only Wounds
#16Stage door tiquette
Posted: 1/6/11 at 9:47pm

When I saw 'A Little Night Music' and Catherine Zeta-Jones came out and signed, most people were civilized but these two tourists acted like something you would see in a movie: high pitch screaming, pushing, grabbing (other people) to get through and I find that so wrong. They caused a lot of commotion among the other patrons (one person scolded me and I quickly snapped back 'It not me, bud!"). I thought it was disgusting and it was honestly quite scary... people like the two at the stage door with me are pretty rare but boy oh boy, it was insane.

Formerly: WishingOnlyWounds2 - Broadway Legend - Joined: 9/25/08

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#17Stage door ?tiquette
Posted: 1/6/11 at 9:47pm

Of course the actors have a right not to come out. The idea of forcing actors to come out at the stage door and sign is ludicrous. If actors enjoy interacting with fans and signing, then by all means they should do it. If actors do not like doing that and don't come out at the stage door or doesn't do autographs or pictures that is their choice. I cannot stand it when people judge actors based on whether or not they come out at the stage door or not or complain about then not being friendly. It is the actor's job to perform, anything above and beyond that is up to them.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Urban
#18Stage door ?tiquette
Posted: 1/7/11 at 1:21am

Stage Door Etiquette?

Walk past and go home. Allow the actors to leave the building and grab a taxi unmolested. Their job ended at the curtain falling.

ClapYo'Hands
#19Stage door ?tiquette
Posted: 1/7/11 at 2:57am

Or did it? Being a performer is more than just what happens onstage...

ghostlight2
#20Stage door ?tiquette
Posted: 1/7/11 at 3:05am

No. It isn't.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#21Stage door ?tiquette
Posted: 1/7/11 at 9:26am

Show me where in the contract it says the stage door is part of a performer's job, and I'll concede the point.

A lot of them do it, a lot of them find it helpful for their profile among fans, but it is NOT part of their job.

Nick2 Profile Photo
Nick2
#22Stage door ?tiquette
Posted: 1/7/11 at 9:55am

nm Updated On: 1/7/11 at 09:55 AM

ghostlight2
#23Stage door ?tiquette
Posted: 1/7/11 at 10:31am

You can have any opinion about the man you like, Nick, and I'm not saying I disagree with yours. However. Leave him the hell alone at the stage door or any other public setting. It's disrespectful of the show, his waiting fans, and of course the actor himself. Not to mention more than a little creepy.

Find another outlet with which to express your hatred, or to encourage others in theirs. The stage door is not an appropriate place for that.

ClapYo'Hands
#24Stage door ?tiquette
Posted: 1/7/11 at 11:37am

I'm not saying Stage Door is 'part' of a performers job, but a performers job, whether they like it or not, is not limited to the stage. It involves public relations, and it involves encountering the fans who make your career.

Videos