Wonderland or Priscilla?

broadwayjunkie3 Profile Photo
broadwayjunkie3
#1Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/12/11 at 1:08am

I am headed to NY in the March and have figured out mostly what I am seeing but can't decide between Wonderland and Priscilla. Leaning towards Wonderland. Priscilla feels like a drag queen version of Mamma Mia! - which is great but I didn't love Mamma Mia! So I am not sure if I would like it - but it seems to be all the buzz. Any thoughts?

I will be seeing Catch me if You Can, Book of Mormon, Spiderman, and Kurshner's Homosexual Guide...

Fav's from last trip were American Idiot, N2N and La Cage, and In the Heights. Could take or leave Jersey Boys and Billy Elliot. Did not like Fela. I typically like emotional/edgy/rock but was surprised by how much I loved La Cage.

Would love your thoughts.

Thanks!

Megs

dragonlp86 Profile Photo
dragonlp86
#2Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/12/11 at 1:17am

If it were me, I'd see Wonderland. I'm not a HUGE fan of Mamma Mia either, or that kind of musical. I'd prefer something not based on pre-existing songs, despite the buzz that's being generated for the show from its other productions. However, my friend saw it in London and said it was the most fun she'd ever had in a show...

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#2Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/12/11 at 1:50am

Saw Mamma Mia a few years ago and thought it was a fun show, nothing amazing, but very enjoyable. Lisa Brescia is in it now as Donna as is amazing, from what hear.

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#3Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/12/11 at 1:53am

WONDERLAND. An original musical with some great B'way talents (Kate Shindle, Darren Ritchie, Karen Mason & the upcoming Janet Dacal), and a great score by Frank Wildhorn.

dramarama3
#4Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/12/11 at 5:58am

I've seen Priscilla, and based on the material I've heard from Wonderland, I'm prepared to say Priscilla is probably a better show. I saw it in Sydney a few years and it was good then, and it's been revised a lot since so I'd assume that it's even better now. It's far better than Mamma Mia, and unlike Mamma Mia - it's actually funny.

Formerly 'dramarama2'

CONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
#5Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/12/11 at 6:52am

PRISCILLA! To start, its nothing like Mamma Mia, as it actually works as a show!

The songs are performed brilliantly, and more than anything, its worth going just to see the gorgeous costumes, and the star of the show... the big bus! Probably the most clever piece of set I have ever seen!

My biggest problem with Wonderland is that it's a typical Wildhorn score! The good songs are fantastic, but then the other 10 or so are just drab filler songs that do nothing!

Priscilla is enjoyment from the first note of music played by the orchestra til the reprise of "I will survive" at the end!!

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#6Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/12/11 at 7:43am

PRISCILLA (and it is NOTHING like MAMMA MIA, where did that comparison come from?).

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#7Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/12/11 at 7:44am

I'm actually in the same boat, will b e up there late April and can;t decide which of the 2 I should try for.

I like interesting sets and all that spectacle. From what I;ve seen of Priscilla, there does not seem to be much else going on besides the costumes and bus. Pluss, as silly as it sonunds, I've never been into the Marquis so that is also a draw for me.

But when I get there it will come down to who has the cheapest tickets since I;ve already spent most of my show budget on 4 other shows.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#8Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/12/11 at 7:51am

Priscilla 100 percent

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#9Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/12/11 at 8:01am

PRISCILLA's website has the song list as follows.

But isn't this the London song list?

Is the only major change from a Kylie medley to a Madonna medley?

ACT ONE

Downtown
I’ve Never Been To Me
What’s Love Got To Do With It?
Don’t Leave Me This Way
Venus
Go West
I Say A Little Prayer
I Love The Nightlife
Both Sides Now
Follie! Delirio Vano E Quoesto!…Sempre Libera (from Verdi’s La Traviata)
Colour My World
I Will Survive

ACT TWO

Thank God I’m A Country Boy
A Fine Romance
Shake Your Groovy Thing
Pop Muzik
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Hot Stuff
MacArthur Park
Boogie Wonderland
Come into My World
Always On My Mind
Kylie Medley
We Belong
Finally

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

CONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
#10Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/12/11 at 8:27am

That is the song list for London, there a few major changes, not just the kylie/madonna medley switch!

Im sure the opening has changed as has Both Sides now... but for the life of me I can not remember what to!

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#11Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/12/11 at 8:52am

saw WONDERLAND several times in Houston. Great design. SOme great songs. Great voices, great perfs. Not a fan of the librettists, no offense, and have no great expectation they can really fix the book.

PRISCILLA has a great book, also great perfs, great visuals, though i haven't seen it live yet. Song list looks fun.

Splurge and see both, then report back here. Resist the Western tradition of putting one above the other or making a hierarchy. Avoid comparing one show to another despite similarities, or even comparing the same material in different mediums. Would you rather see a story about fierce individualists living out their fantasies despite awkward circumstances or a timid girl whose adventures are thrust upon her? do you like the actors in either cast list and hope to see their work regardless of context? are you a fan of the composers of either song list? try it all that way.

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#12Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/12/11 at 9:11am

"Downtown" was replaced with "It's Raining Men" and "Both Sides Now" was replaced (sadly) by "True Colors" when I saw it in Toronto. Yes, it's a Madonna medley, not a Kylie medley.

I say see Priscilla-its a hoot. Tony Sheldon may very well win a Tony for his Bernadette and Will Swenson and Nick Adams are wonderful.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#13Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/12/11 at 9:17am

I'm going with the masses -- from what I've heard from folks that have seen both productions out of town: Priscilla seems the victor.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#14Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/12/11 at 9:19am

"'Downtown' was replaced with 'It's Raining Men.'"

Wonderland or Priscilla? x 10,000

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

JRybka Profile Photo
JRybka
#15Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/12/11 at 9:40am

I would go with Wonderland. Priscilla is going to have a very very long life. Wonderland will probably be (pun) wonderful but probably will not have the life that Priscilla will have. See it and then see TAOPQOTD next time.

"Whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gate at Heathrow Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but I don't see that. It seems to me that love is everywhere. Often it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, as far as I know none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love. If you look for it, I've got a sneaky feeling you'll find that love actually is all around."

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#16Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/12/11 at 10:00am

JRYBKA has a good point. Eat the ice cream while its on your plate, as Kander and Ebb have Sabina singing.

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

BroadwayBoy3 Profile Photo
BroadwayBoy3
#17Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/13/11 at 7:17pm

I agree 100% with CONAries, It is not like Mamma Mia! Saw it twice in Toronto, and it is amazing! Go see it!

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#18Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/13/11 at 10:03pm

I also agree 100% that Priscilla is nothing like Mamma Mia.

Mamma Mia is actually very good.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#19Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/13/11 at 10:13pm

You might end up having to drop Spider-Man so maybe you could do both

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#20Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/13/11 at 10:28pm

Priscilla is a million time better than Mamma Mia. See it.

Urban
#21Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/14/11 at 8:13am

See both. Live it up a little. :)

Seriously though Priscilla will leave you they hugest smile on your face. I was a doubter to begin with (for all the reasons oft-mentioned) but the show blew me away.

I personally never got the big fuss of the change from the Kylie Medley to the Madonna Medley to begin with since (a) it isn't that big of a part in the show and (b) Kylie replaced ABBA from the movie.

minicko88
#22Wonderland or Priscilla?
Posted: 1/14/11 at 11:10am

Wonderland... did not enjoy Priscilla...