pixeltracker

BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD- Page 2

BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#25BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD
Posted: 2/16/11 at 9:03pm

advance must really be bad

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

CromTO
#26BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD
Posted: 2/16/11 at 9:06pm

I agree with Katurian2 and Scarywarhol. Seeing the show last week I was under the impression that most people were there to see a train wreck, but thankfully everything went off with out a hitch--no glitches whatsoever. Personally, I thought the first act was good but that the second act was unequivocally horrible (to those who have seen and/or heard about it, once they got the the “shoes scene” in the second act I clocked out.)

Yes it’ll probably get postponed yet again, and who knows if bringing in this writer will change anything, but at this point in time I’m sure anything will be an improvement on what has already been showing. Maybe Julie Taymor is ego tripping and someone needs to bring her down-to-earth, it is nice to see that they haven’t giving up hope yet because while others are wishing for the end I know that they’re trying something that others aren’t and that in this economy the production is giving a lot of people jobs.

There are some songs that I thought were good but the majority of them sucked and thus the good ones get lost in the mess of really bad ones. The whole Uncle Ben thing aggravates me too because when they show him he comes off as an ass and then suddenly we’re supposed to feel sorry when his death comes out of nowhere, yeah, not happening.

The set design and acrobatics were definitely an A.

The Acting a B. The singing wasn’t bad (even Reeve was good that night) and you can tell they’re trying their best considering the material they’re given.

The songs C-. As I stated before, There are some songs that I thought were good but the majority of them sucked and thus the good ones get lost in the mess of really bad ones. Overall it just seemed like U2 recycling old songs for this production.

The book I give a solid F. Though others around me were laughing I thought the humor fell flat. The second act is what completely ruins it for me. Had they just extended the first act or took someone like Eddie Brock and made him the Goblin's assistant who vowes revenge in the second act I would’ve been more impressed but that didn’t happen, so I wasn’t.

The book obviously need help and they seriously need to cut “Think Again” because that is one glaring weak spot. Either cut it or re-stage it, wither way it needs an overhaul. In the end, I would give the show a C+. Hopefully Taymor will allow others to give their input and actually listen because I want the show to succeed, I look at it and see such potential and knowing how many people it’s employing is also a good thing.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#27BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD
Posted: 2/16/11 at 9:43pm

Remember the announcement that Bono and the Edge were going to be at every preview, and make major changes?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#28BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD
Posted: 2/16/11 at 9:57pm

I remember that!!

That was cute.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#29BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD
Posted: 2/16/11 at 10:02pm

{snickers}

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#30BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD
Posted: 2/16/11 at 10:03pm

"which means they will rush and that will result in errors most likely"

And injuries.
The Edge is far too busy lying about property here in California

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#31BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD
Posted: 2/17/11 at 1:23am

There's no need to call in a doctor. It's already dead.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jordan Catalano
#32BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD
Posted: 2/17/11 at 1:25am

Don't they need a doctor to pronounce time of death, though?

ActingIsLovee
#33BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD
Posted: 2/17/11 at 1:40am

I think it'd be wise to close the show temporarily and implement the changes during a rehearsal period instead of during previews.
of course, that will never happen because that would cost them more money. but if you're going from the standpoint of what is best to improve the show, that would be the best option.

Jordan Catalano
#34BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD
Posted: 2/17/11 at 1:43am

If they cared what was best for the show, they would have stopped Taymor two years ago and told her she was in over her head. All they care about is $$$$$$$$$$

Cyndawg
#35BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD
Posted: 2/17/11 at 2:52am

Here are my predictions:

1.) Roberto comes on board and re-writes script.
2.) March 14th, they announce the show is closing the evening of March 15th.
3.) Changes are put into the show the morning and afternoon of March 15th...
4.) The show performs their final performance on March 15th, with all the new changes....since the show is not technically on sale to the public (mostly friends, family, press, etc, al) no one from the outside ever gets to see the new changes (lol)
5.) Wait until Summer (after the Tony's) and then announce a revival come fall with the new changes that the public never saw that night from March 15th! Ads can say "Come see what you REALLY didn't get to see the first time around...get caught in the WEB all-over-again, Spider-Man returns"

Ok, Im't nuts!!!

Updated On: 2/17/11 at 02:52 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#36BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD
Posted: 2/17/11 at 4:10am

I wonder if Vegas will take bets on the time of the delay announcement? It'd be fun for SOMEONE to make some money from this!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#37BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD
Posted: 2/17/11 at 8:39am

They can take all the time they want now to fix the show, it makes no difference when they open anymore since the critics went in early, in a strange way the critics have done them a favor

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#38BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD
Posted: 2/17/11 at 9:21am

The critics definitely go back now. If they are going to be true to their statements about their responsibility to their readers, they have to go back and report on the changes when the show opens.Whenever that may be.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#39BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD
Posted: 2/17/11 at 9:28am

A TEMPLATE FOR FUTURE MEETINGS:

"Can we maybe re-think the Arachne concept?"

"No."

"The 'Geek Chorus' is kind of lame...should we cut it and try something else?"

"No."

"I have some ideas about beefing up the Peter Parker and Mary Jane characters...y'know...so the actors have something to do."

"Characterizations are not the problem. And what do actors have to do with this?"

"Hooo-kay. Tweak the music?"

*Appalled face*

"So why am I even here?"

"BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO FIX IT!!!!"

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#40BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD
Posted: 2/17/11 at 9:50am

....too little, too late.

The only moment in the show I was looking forweard to was when Peter reveals to his girlfriend that he's really Spiderman.

It happened, but I have no idea when. Talk about anti-climactic and devoid of ANY HUMAN EMOTION.

Let it die...

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#41BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD
Posted: 2/17/11 at 10:17am

To be fair, in the Ultimate version of the Spider-Man comics, when Peter tells MJ he's Spider-Man, her reaction is pretty similar to the show. She kind of just says, "Oh- that's cool!' And then remarks she could almost have been Spider-man since (in this version) the spider landed on her first before Peter swatted it off. The really emotional one was when he told Aunt May... which in the show.... never happened. The MJ reveal was really fantastic in the 2nd movie though. I agree it would have been nice to have a moment like that.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

willheim2 Profile Photo
willheim2
#42BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD
Posted: 2/17/11 at 10:54am

Well really, they would have to close the show for three or four months to make this work, AFTER it was on the page right - and after it was approved by all parties with a vote (Taymor)

Can't be goofing around with the thing too much in rehearsal, and gotta go in there with a finished deck on day one.

There's enough tweaking that happens naturally when the lines are performed and the actors bring their voice to it...

Would cost a boatload of money, but a boatload of money is at stake. Their are so many fundamental problems, to me anyway, that all the things mentioned here and by the critics are too much to fix while the show is running. Big book changes, which in a show driven by time code throws the whole thing off the mark.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#43BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD
Posted: 2/17/11 at 12:26pm

Julie can't work on this forever, isn't she committed to the Met's new production of The Emperor's New Clothes for the fall?

PEACE.

Jordan Catalano
#44BREAKING: SCRIPT DOCTOR FOR SPIDERMAN: TOTD
Posted: 2/17/11 at 12:42pm

I see this show announcing they're closing for a few weeks to fix things and never reopening.