pixeltracker

Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY
Posted: 3/12/11 at 5:35pm

Laurents would f**kin pull this.... ugh.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#2Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY
Posted: 3/12/11 at 5:37pm

SH*T. I was actually starting to get interested.
Tom Hanks as Herbie would have immediately sold me.

FindingNamo
#3Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY
Posted: 3/12/11 at 5:43pm

He's a capricious dingus.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#4Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY
Posted: 3/12/11 at 5:47pm

The BWW article makes it sound like Sondheim is more to blame than Laurents.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#5Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY
Posted: 3/12/11 at 5:53pm

Praise Sondheim! I mean-- Jesus! Whichever!

I love the Sondheim quote from the base of the article. This was an ego project, and nothing more. When a project based on material as great as Gypsy becomes a vanity move, there's a problem. Unfortunately, that's what Gypsy so often is brought down to.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#6Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY
Posted: 3/12/11 at 6:02pm

The BWW article doesn't make it sound like Sondheim is to blame. The BWW article quotes Arthur making it sound like Sondheim is to blame.

Arthur ALWAYS makes it sound like someone else is to blame.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#7Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY
Posted: 3/12/11 at 6:09pm

At least you've still got your ancient ax to grind.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#8Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY
Posted: 3/12/11 at 6:15pm

We all do.

FindingNamo
#9Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY
Posted: 3/12/11 at 6:23pm

I always get giddy when I see PalJoey's name in a Laurents thread. There is no snark quite like informed snark.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

wiggum2 Profile Photo
wiggum2
#10Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY
Posted: 3/12/11 at 7:01pm

I would have loved to see it as well(sadly because I think it would be awful)I love gypsy, not a huge Babs fan( I know I should give back my card)but she is simply too old! Film isn't as forgiving as theatre.

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#11Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY
Posted: 3/13/11 at 4:17am

Does anyone else think Laurents is worth wasting the Kitty Kelley treatment on? Or would it just give him something else to bitch about?

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#12Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY
Posted: 3/13/11 at 5:14am

Nice job Laurents! I think Babs would have ruined it. Her voice ain't what it used to be and she's just not right for this role.

I could care less how 'celeb' the casting would have been. Gypsy should be handled with care.

BN

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#13Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY
Posted: 3/13/11 at 8:29am

For once, the theatre community should be thankful for Arthur Laurents being an utter prick.

billyboyA
#14Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY
Posted: 3/13/11 at 9:56am

Miss Streisand has hurt, screwed, belittled and treated SO many "underlings" in Hollywood like garbage for SO many years, I just call this the Karma train hitting it's fair mark.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#15Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY
Posted: 3/13/11 at 10:28am

I imagine she would never do that BALLROOM movie because it would involve frumping herself up. I do wish she would reconsider. We don't need another GYPSY film...two was bad enough.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#16Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY
Posted: 3/13/11 at 10:34am

Maybe Streisand can now finally complete the trilogy with FUNNY GRANNY.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#17Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY
Posted: 3/13/11 at 10:35am

But who would write the score? Jule Styne and Bob Merrill are no longer, and there's only one half of Kander and Ebb left. Maybe Arthur and Steve could collaborate on screenplay and score on Jordan's proposed project.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#18Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY
Posted: 3/13/11 at 10:42am

"Maybe Streisand can now finally complete the trilogy with FUNNY GRANNY."

Don't you mean Funny Bubbi?

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#19Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY
Posted: 3/13/11 at 10:46am

Its just a bad idea for a movie anyway. Shoes ain't the problem, Auntie Art! Without the theatre itself as its own framing device, any faithful film of GYPSY is bound to be a meandering, twee affair where you sit there going, "Jesus, who cares about these boring people?" and the numbers themselves are not enough of a payoff. I don't think anyone could make it work. THAT'S the reason Arthur should have pulled the plug From the article, it sounds to me like Sondheim was the only one involved who understood this, even if it was or wasn't subliminally.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#20Laurents tells Striesand No to GYPSY
Posted: 3/13/11 at 2:10pm

Sorry, it's already been established that you did NOT get that from the article.

Videos