Jordan Catalano
#2Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/3/11 at 5:58pm

It Gets Better.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#2Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/3/11 at 6:03pm

That's what they said about Travis Acreman!

HA!

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Okayfine
#3Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 12:26am

Not pretty enough & not human enough, but there you go. Life is unpredictable.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#4Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 12:31am

“I’m five-foot-three,” she muses. “I don’t look like a lot of other people, you know what I mean? I look like I’m 12.”

She looks like about 90% of the women in the New York/New Jersey area.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#5Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 9:55am

Funny, I think she's a total babe.

Take that, "Owen," I said something really nice about Lea!

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#6Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 10:05am

Somehow, I have a hard time believing this is actually true (and not just because LM has been known to, ahem, stretch the truth when it suits her).

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#7Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 10:22am

The thing that bothers me about this altogether (and I think she's pretty enough, but not a babe) is that you look at some of the great Broadway singers in the past, and you realize that they wouldnt stand a chance today. Merman would get bit parts and character roles. Gertrude Lawrence would be dismissed out of hand. It's pretty sad.

http://docandraider.com

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#8Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 10:25am

Maybe she's saying this to try to plant yet another connection between her and Babs in the public's mind. ("They told me I wasn't pretty enough, just like my idol, Barbra!"). Of course Broadway is a bastion for oddballs and beauty queens alike. Of people working today, I'd hardly consider Idina Menzel or Caissie Levy or Nina Arianda or even Sutton Foster traditionally beautiful, but they seem to be working steadily and playing leading lady roles.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#9Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 10:32am

Totally agree with AC, Sean, it's not like everybody on Broadway is drop dead gorgeous. Far from it. For every Luker there is a Lupone (with all due respect to the handsome Ms. Lupone, I'm sure she'd be the first to agree that she is not your average glamor girl).

Even in Hollywood for goodness sake. Just consider that Renee, hardly a beauty, is not only a movie star, but got Roxie!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#10Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 10:35am

I know exactly how she feels. I was told I'm not famous enough to be pretty.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#11Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 10:52am

Lea Michele told Mister Matt he wasn't pretty enough to be famous Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

SporkGoddess
#12Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 11:24am

Oh no, she's 5'3"! Kristin Chenoweth is 4'11.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#13Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 11:27am

^ Chenoweth. Another person I'd put on the "not traditionally attractive" list. She's doing pretty well for herself, no?

silversurfer2
#14Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 11:31am

Her EGO is bigger then her NOSE...

Gothampc
#15Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 11:34am

"I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous"

So was I -- Don Knotts

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#16Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 1:44pm

Nor is she talented enough or humble enough or nice enough. Not being pretty enough is the least of her shortcomings, and yet she's famous. Sometimes good things happen to sh*tty people.

Barcelona Profile Photo
Barcelona
#17Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 1:51pm

....I think ColorTheHours pretty much hit the nail on the head

FindingNamo
#18Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 1:53pm

She could try to be nicer to others, since she knows such pain.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Gothampc
#19Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 2:16pm

"I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous"

Even Max Factor couldn't hide my raccoon eyes during Evita - Patti Lupone

Bitch, please - Whoopi Goldberg

I suggest that you marry up - HRH Camilla Parker-Bowles-Mountbatten-Windsor

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 8/5/11 at 02:16 PM

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#20Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 10:47pm

ColortheHours, why would you call Michele a sh*tty person? What has she done that is so terrible? Her only crime from what I can tell is being fame-hungry.

That said, as someone who has had a crush on Lea since "Spring Awakening," I have to admit my admiration for her went down a couple notches after reading this interview. At the age of 26 or whatever she is she has already achieved more than what 99.9% of actors achieve in their entire careers. Rather than declaring that she wants more, she should be expressing gratitude for what she has.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#21Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 11:02pm

ColortheHours, why would you call Michele a sh*tty person? What has she done that is so terrible? Her only crime from what I can tell is being fame-hungry.

Given the stories I've heard firsthand from people who know her well about how she treats people she deems to be beneath her, or how she can be vindictive, spiteful, jealous, and malicious towards people whom she perceives as a threat to her, ColorThe Hours might not be too far off.

I've met her, like, three times. She was pleasant in each situation. But the stories I've heard could curl my hair.

broadwayguy2
#22Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 11:08pm

.. and pretty much every story about how evil she is toward people is true.

I will tell you first hand that I have seen several tantrums - no, not at a stage door, thanks - and each was not only unwarranted, but SHOCKINGLY bad... and at least one of those was when NO ONE except Ragtime-philes knew who she was.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#23Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 11:11pm

One of my best friends witnessed an incident at a club where Lea wasn't served because she was under age and she flipped out on everyone. Typical kind of "Don't you know who I am? / I'm too important to be treated this way!" kind of BS. She's lived in a bubble of privilege her whole life. It happens when you've been told since the age of four that you're the greatest thing since the dishwasher.

Updated On: 8/5/11 at 11:11 PM

ChiChi Profile Photo
ChiChi
#24Lea Michele: I was told I wasn't pretty enough to be famous
Posted: 8/5/11 at 11:14pm

Anything to gain attention. She makes me want to puke. She's the ONLY Reason I can't watch Glee. If it weren't for her I could probably tolerate it. She's just too gross.

Gypsy - Betty Buckley http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUN5XoB5vFs&feature=youtu.be