Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#1Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/5/11 at 11:25pm

STRONG contenders this year. Rather exciting.

- GOOD PEOPLE by David Lindsay-Abaire
- BENGAL TIGER AT THE BAGHDAD ZOO by Rajiv Joseph
- THE MOTHERF*CKER WITH THE HAT by Stephen Adly Guirgis
- OTHER DESERT CITIES by Jon Robin Baitz
- SONS OF THE PROPHET by Stephen Karam

Until OTHER DESERT CITIES, I thought GOOD PEOPLE was the frontrunner.

Am I forgetting any other strong contenders?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#2Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/5/11 at 11:27pm

If I'm not mistaken Bengal Tiger was already a finalist last year.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/5/11 at 11:39pm

Whoops! It was a finalist two years ago. I forgot about that.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

bwayfan7000
#3Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/5/11 at 11:43pm

The first thing I thought after I saw Good People was that it had Pulitzer written all over it. I very much hope it wins.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#4Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/6/11 at 1:03am

I'm crossing my fingers for Good People! Does anyone know if The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs is eligible?

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#5Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/6/11 at 1:18am

Good People deserves the win. It is beautifully written and far superior to Other Desert Cities.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#6Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/6/11 at 1:47am

Motherf**ker was an enjoyable and entertaining show to watch, but I wouldn't think that it's well written enough to score even a finalist spot for Pulitzer consideration. I vote "Good People" but haven't seen "Other Desert Cities" yet. Hopefully soon!

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#7Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/6/11 at 7:58am

I would add Bathsheba Doran's KIN and Amy Herzog's 4000 MILES to the list of likely contenders.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#8Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/6/11 at 10:56am

KIN was terrible.... and Bengal Tiger was robbed... lol.

What about Venus in Fur? was that submitted last year? The play that I thought had Pulitzer written all over it was Gruesome Playground Injuries... but I think I was the only one that liked it. lol. Oh well. MTC has a strong history of pulitzer winners so Good People is a safe choice, especially since we know the Pulitzer committee loves him.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#9Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/6/11 at 11:03am

KIN should almost certainly be on the committee's radar; it was a hit with critics, and they're the ones who award the prizes. I'm fairly certain VENUS IN FUR was already considered, and even if it hasn't yet been, it's hard to imagine the committee viewing so slight a work as worthy of the prize.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#10Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/6/11 at 11:12am

It's actually 2012. 2011 was Clybourne Park. It's by awarded year, not eligibility year.

The Book of Mormon. Anyone objecting: See 2010 winner

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 11/6/11 at 11:12 AM

PiraguaGuy2
#11Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/6/11 at 11:14am

Yeah, I would not be surprised if The Book of Mormon was a finalist, although Good People looks like it will take it.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#12Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/6/11 at 11:15am

The Book of Mormon. Anyone objecting: See 2009 winner

I was actually thinking it might have a shot, too. They also recently shortlisted IN THE HEIGHTS.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#13Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/6/11 at 11:22am

Any Off-Broadway or regional standouts? Clyboune Park won without yet having a Broadway production. I enjoyed Good People, but I didn't think it was an extraordinary play.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#14Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/6/11 at 11:24am

Heh, I just realized I made the same mistake I was correcting.

See 2010 winner!

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#15Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/6/11 at 11:26am

Sons of the Prophet, Kin, 4000 Miles, By the Way Meet Vera Stark...they could also be possibilities. Also, The Whipping Man was quite good, but that play's been kicking around for a while, and I'm not sure if it's already been considered.

Anybody know of good regional prospects? DETROIT was nominated last year, and BENGAL TIGER was two years before it hit Broadway.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#16Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/6/11 at 4:29pm

I thoroughly enjoyed Good People, but the award belongs to Sons of the Prophet. Best new American play since August: Osage County.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

#17Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/6/11 at 5:24pm

I really want Sons of the Prophet to be a finalist.

TheHappyPhantom
#18Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/6/11 at 7:50pm

Book of Mormon would be a cool thing to see win... so much more deserving than Next to Normal. They lost my respect when they awarded that.

showchoirguy Profile Photo
showchoirguy
#19Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/6/11 at 8:15pm

"Book of Mormon would be a cool thing to see win... so much more deserving than Next to Normal. They lost my respect when they awarded that."

...how?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#20Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/6/11 at 8:19pm

"Book of Mormon would be a cool thing to see win... so much more deserving than Next to Normal. They lost my respect when they awarded that."

After reading the first sentence, I thought you were being sarcastic. After reading the second sentence, I think you have poor taste in musical theatre.

--Aristotle

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#21Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/6/11 at 9:19pm

The Book of Mormon is hysterical. Probably one of the funniest shows I've seen in years. But it is not Pulitzer material. It's nothing new or innovative. The lyrics are funny but they're not particularly clever. The songs are OK but they're really not all that memorable aside from a few; there were definitely better overall scores last season (Women on the Verge, Catch Me). I think the Pulitzer committee would lose the respect of many people if Mormon makes the shortlist or wins.

TheHappyPhantom
#22Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/6/11 at 11:25pm

I'm not saying Mormon should win...but if it made the short list, as no other musical has a chance this year, I think it would say a lot towards the level of talent that went into the writing for that show, as it is the most successful (artistically and financially)show to hit Bway in a long time. I don't know Woman on the Verge, but Catch Me was flat and forgettable. As for Next to Normal, it was unbearably awful. Amateurishly written book, a thoughtlessly written score full of inconsistent rhymes, not well personalized to the characters,no distinctive songs, and full of cliches. For it and Sunday in the Park with George to have anything in common is an insult.

michellek45
#23Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/6/11 at 11:54pm

The Book of Mormon should not be anywhere near this award. When I think of Pulitzer Prizewinners, I think of plays/musicals that either give words/life to the types of things we all have felt but couldn't quite express, innovate the form somehow, or provoke thought. The Book of Mormon did none of those things. In fact, to me, it seemed to stifle thought with the ending. Everything was cured by Mormons! Crazy war generals totally surrender to fairytales about Star Trek! Aren't Mormons awesome? It was way too neat of an ending, and that was where the show lost any sort of "subversive" vibe it might have had going for it. Did I laugh? Yes. Did I enjoy myself? Yes. Did I think it deserved the Tony, let alone the Pulitzer? No chance in hell.

pinoyidol2006 Profile Photo
pinoyidol2006
#24Pulizer Prize for Drama - 2011
Posted: 11/7/11 at 12:22am

I thought Mormon definitely deserved the Tony compared to its competition. I don't think it deserves the Pulitzer prize, though.

@michelle: I don't think BoM is as shallow as you made it seem. I was raised Mormon, so this show probably had a more profound effect on me than you. I felt that the way they portrayed Elder Price's struggles with faith matched my own, so I'm biased.

I also think it's a good story about friendship. But not good enough to deserve a Pulitzer.

I like your imperturbable perspicacity.
Updated On: 11/7/11 at 12:22 AM