pixeltracker

Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies- Page 3

Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#50Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 8:44pm

"I'm sure a few here are assuming, but anyhow..."

If you're assuming that I'm one of the few assuming, you'd be wrong. I also saw the Encores performance.

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#51Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 8:47pm

But seriously, I don't see much "bashing" of Peters in this thread, certainly not enough to warrant all these noses out of joint.

I wasn't just referring to this thread (although Taryn's comment came in with a bang), I just have the perception that Peters is not exactly a BWW favorite and I was anticipating a Peters-trash-fest, is all. I'm sure that will come when the show opens in L.A. - I predict the trashing won't come as an objective comparison from those who know the show well, but as a "fashionable to point out how bad she is, as to compared to the magnificent..." party.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#52Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 8:55pm

"I'm... sorry I? Don't. Want to fight. With you Blaxx. I don't have to."

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#53Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 8:57pm

If you're assuming that I'm one of the few assuming, you'd be wrong. I also saw the Encores performance.

Point taken.

Phyllis, you should play Sally...

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#54Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 8:59pm

Girl, you know I'd be fierce!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#55Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 9:01pm

Heck yeah! I'd pay premium seats for that one... Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#56Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 9:16pm

I got tickets! Speaking of which, I can't believe I'm paying more for tickets than when I saw the show in DC, yet I'm sitting farther back...

I wonder how they'll handle the inevitable Tony performance, since the cast will be on the opposite coast? Video montage?

OMG! If Jan will be in LA, how in the world is she going to get that Tony Award in her bag???

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

binau Profile Photo
binau
#57Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 9:20pm

Bernadette Peters will be free Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies                                              .

(To perform, to receive the Tony she won't win and to receive the Tony Maxwell won't win).

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 1/11/12 at 09:20 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#58Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 9:20pm

I'm sure if Maxwell's chances are high by that time, she'd miss a performance to attend the ceremony.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#59Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 9:21pm

"It. Was...So.. Glamourous.......All. Those.Eyes. Looking.At....You."

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#60Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 9:24pm

Is there a date for the Tonys yet? Follies is only running until June 9th, a Saturday. I can't imagine they'd be any earlier than the 10th.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

binau Profile Photo
binau
#61Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 9:25pm

LOL Bettyboy.

I like how she says that line Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies                                                .

But I. Don't. Want. To. Fight. With You..I don'thaveto.

EDIT: I just noticed this just was used earlier in the thread!! SHAME

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 1/12/12 at 09:25 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#62Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 9:45pm

they think even Miss Piggy could do better.

Now THAT would get me on a plane to L.A.!!! Cast Kermit as Buddy, Janice as Phyllis, and Gonzo as Ben, and I'd move in.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#63Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 9:52pm

qolbinau-actually, I like all of Bernadette's line readings on the CD. I'm just teasing. Actually, my favorite is "You could've had him. You played it all wrong!!!!!"

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#64Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/11/12 at 11:18pm

I just got my tickets! I have a feeling this is one of the few CTC productions that isn't going to be on Goldstar

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#65Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/12/12 at 12:40am

i agree, this will be a big seller at The Ahmanson - great news about casting - cannot wait to see this show...

VeraCharles3 Profile Photo
VeraCharles3
#66Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/12/12 at 4:26am

blaxx, I love you and I love Janice too.

At an age when most people are planning their retirement, Kudos to Miss Peters for taking on another difficult role, stretching herself vocally and committing to 8 shows a week! Whether she gets things right or not, she is still perfecting her art and pushing herself to take risks and that's fabulous! And why she is a Star!

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#67Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/12/12 at 9:02am

Acording to a tweet from Peter Marks, the entire principal cast is transferring, with the exceptions of Rosalind Elias and Don Correia.

And as someone who saw Clark's performance as Sally three times, I can say that five years ago she seemed to have the groundwork laid for an amazing performance, but fell short of actually following through. That said, she had nine days of rehearsal and wasn't completely off-book in the book scenes (though her numbers were perfect). The way she performed "Losing My Mind" wasn't to everyone's taste--certainly VERY different from Bernadette, but they're different artists--but it mostly worked for me. I'm interested to see what she'll do with the time to properly explore the character.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

SingOutLouise2 Profile Photo
SingOutLouise2
#68Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/12/12 at 10:53am

Acording to a tweet from Peter Marks, the entire principal cast is transferring, with the exceptions of Rosalind Elias and Don Correia

Does this mean Lora Lee Gayer is transferring as well? I thought she did an excellent job. She really had Peters down. I am looking forward to see how she changes for Clark.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#69Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/12/12 at 2:12pm

She's a member of the principal company, so if that tweet is accurate, I'd say that's exactly what it means.

It makes sense, since the only two people mentioned as not transferring are Elias (who's old and probably doesn't want to travel anymore) and Correia (who is a high-end real estate agent as well and probably needs to stay in town for work).

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

theeatah Profile Photo
theeatah
#70Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/12/12 at 3:46pm

I wonder if they would have gone with Correia for Buddy if Danny Burstein didn't agree to transfer. It would be great to see The Right Girl as a dance number, as intended.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#71Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/12/12 at 4:05pm

blaxx, I love you and I love Janice too.

Thank you, love.

f13overture Profile Photo
f13overture
#72Victoria Clark will be Sally in Los Angeles Follies
Posted: 1/13/12 at 3:17am

Yes! I finally get to see this!!! Jan Maxwell and Danny Burstein!! Heart.