pixeltracker

BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE Tour; Launches Fall 2012- Page 2

BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE Tour; Launches Fall 2012

f13overture Profile Photo
f13overture
#25BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/29/12 at 3:43pm

Is it April Fools Day?

...okay, I'll fess up: I wanna see this!! I've never seen the show before, but I've seen some videos of Eder singing some of the songs and I really liked it...and also I liked the Ripley/Skinner version of one of the songs on their Duets album. Yes, I am intrigued indeed.

socarrat
#26BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/29/12 at 4:12pm

"Maroulis trained at one of the best musical theatre colleges in the country, started out in musical theatre long before American Idol, and has actually spent more of his career performing on stage than doing anything else. It surprises me when people act like he's another pop star off the street who does theatre between albums or TV gigs."

You misinterpreted my post. I'm a fan of several singers who came from that show, and they've been successful on Broadway. I hope to see more of them there. Rock of Ages wasn't much of a challenge for Maroulis, so he didn't prove himself in that stage IMO. It remains to be seen if he's versatile enough to handle the Jekyll/Hyde role, not to mention the musical challenge. He made have trained for musical theater, but that doesn't make him a stage actor. We'll see.

Maybe Wildhorn is making Jekyll & Hyde into a Rock musical. J/K

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#27BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/29/12 at 4:20pm

I don't mind his voice, but every time I've seen him onstage he looks annoyed or bored or both.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#28BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/29/12 at 4:37pm

"can someone explain this guy's appeal?

Not really. Art is subjective. Either he appeals to you or he doesn't. No explanation is necessary.

p.s. I'm a fan!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#29BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/29/12 at 4:39pm

I'm somewhere between:

"Oh, the perfect marriage of star and show"

and

"Aww, that poor poseur deserves better material"

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

evic
#30BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/29/12 at 4:43pm

They may as well call it Bonnie and Hyde......time for another Wildhorn flop...I remember little of the original except a horrific number with umbrellas and of course the classic laughable scene in the laboratory. Will it play the same theater as the original for nostalgia sake?

eatlasagna
#31BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/29/12 at 4:46pm

"Not really. Art is subjective. Either he appeals to you or he doesn't. No explanation is necessary. "

it's not necessary but it helps... if i hate something i want someone to explain to me why they like it... i'm not asking anyone to defend why they like him... i just want to know why people like him

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#32BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/29/12 at 4:59pm

There's a slight tone of snark when someone asks that question. You don't see where the guy is talented or appealing, we get that. Now you want to know why we think so.

The answer to your question is that he's talented and appealing. Wouldn't that be kind of obvious an answer from one who thinks he's talented and appealing? Does that help?

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#33BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/29/12 at 5:06pm

I hope to see more of them there. Rock of Ages wasn't much of a challenge for Maroulis, so he didn't prove himself in that stage IMO.

You do realize he's been in other shows, right? Just because you've only seen him in one show doesn't mean that you know his entire resume.

I didn't misinterpret your post. You said that you hope Maroulis doesn't turn out to be "another Hasselhoff." I'm saying that by training and career alone, that's not likely possible. But let's not act like this show is Chekhov, anyway.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Jersey Girl2 Profile Photo
Jersey Girl2
#34BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/29/12 at 6:58pm

>>>>>>i just want to know why people like him

I think they call it charisma. He has it.
& I have liked his voice from the first time I heard it.
I was doing something with the TV on, he started singing and I looked up & was hooked.
Even my husband admits he has amazing stage presence.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#35BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/29/12 at 7:59pm

Hey blaxx we all know you hate the show & Wildhorn so you are offically beating a dead horse.

Poster Emeritus

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#36BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/29/12 at 8:13pm

Hm. Def. interesting. I wonder if this will be indeed like HAIR and run in the summer and make some money, or if they'll attempt to open it for the Tonys.

And this doesn't mean that Toxic Avenger can't come to New York.

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#37BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/29/12 at 8:41pm

I'm thrilled with this casting. I love Constantine Maroulis and have no doubt he'll be very, very good, indeed. I hope they get rid of "Good and Evil" and put "Bring on the Men" back in.

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#38BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/29/12 at 10:38pm

Hope they cast a capable Lucy. No one could sing this show like Linda Eder... Everyone else seemed like they struggled with the notes. Not Eder. She was stunning vocally.

Her acting on the other hand. Well, that was atrocious.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#39BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/29/12 at 11:03pm

Will they bring back those umbrellas for that Murder song with those horrendous lyrics ("They murdered dear old Bessy, I hear extremely messy!")?

About the only thing I enjoyed in the original production was Linda Eder's singing. It didn't matter that she was singing inane songs that had no real meaning, she could belt like it was nobody's business.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#40BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/29/12 at 11:09pm

I was taken aback by how endearing Maroulis was in the Rock of Ages tour. Jekyll & Hyde is such a mess, though, that I hope this is at least an entertaining mess. Boring messes are no fun (ahem, Spider-Man).

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#41BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 12:36am

I've only seen it via the Hasselhoff filming which I admit I found campy fun, though not enough to have much desire to see it again. I freely admit that's not a good way to judge the piece, although I do know that Wildhorn isn't really a favorite of mine (though I do like some of his songs out of context).

Reading the BWW piece I admit I knew it ran a fairly long time but had no idea it racked in 1500+ performances (today they also featured Sweet Charity and I admit I did find it a bit disappointing to read SC only ran 600 or so performances in comparison, although I admit that SC, despite so much of the Fosse production being brilliant IMHO is not without its flaws). Some of the wording of the release confuses me--why are the Septemeber dates called "Pre tour" dates and not part of the tour? Is it because they'll work as a preview period with changes being made, etc?

I'll be interested to see how Calhoun does with it. I have a soft spot for Robin Phillips who did the original production, because he was artistic director of the Citadel Theatre in Edmonton when I was growing up there, and he lived beside and was friends with my Aunt, so I got to see most of his shows for free, and liked a lot of them, but I can't remember being too impressed with J&H as filmed, staging wise. On the other hand I think Calhoun has a lot of potential as a director/choreographer that rarely seems to actually be realized on stage (for a while people really did seem to think he would be Tommy Tune's successor, though perhaps more due to their collaborations, even the overblown Grease revival, than anything else).

sopranobiz Profile Photo
sopranobiz
#42BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 2:13am

I hate to be a stick in the mud but I don't buy that this tour is happening.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#43BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 2:37am

LOL I am pretty sure the tour will happen. It ending up on Broadway is a different matter...

Markecib
#44BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 8:20am

This is how it started its life, as a tour, then ended up on Broadway. Though what was on tour and what ended up in New York were two totally different productions. The tour was great, the show in NY, not so great.

I like the choice of director and I did like what Calhoon did with Bonnie & Clyde. I'll remain slightly optimistic with this show.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#45BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 8:46am

Considering Jeff Calhoun has cast Melissa van der Schyff in BONNIE & CLYDE, BIG RIVER, and the Deaf West production of PIPPIN, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if she ends up in this.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#46BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 10:04am

I'm thrilled with this news as it shows great potential. I just hope someone learned something from the Broadway fiasco. The three pre-Broadway productions were all infinitely better than what wound up on Broadway (though the third started showing signs of too much tinkering) and I'll never understand how anyone thought they were improving it in any way. If they would just put the first pre-Broadway tour back up on stage, they might have a hit on their hands. I never would have thought of Maroulis, but that's brilliant casting. I was quite surprised how much I loved him in Rock of Ages.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Kev Profile Photo
Kev
#47BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 12:00pm

Hope they cast a capable Lucy. No one could sing this show like Linda Eder... Everyone else seemed like they struggled with the notes. Not Eder. She was stunning vocally.

I wouldn't say Eder's replacements, Luba Mason and Coleen Sexton, struggled with the notes. Neither had the rich power of Eder's instrument but, all were solid and distinct in their own right.

And I actually preferred the Broadway staging (though not necessarily all the changes) to the post-Broadway tour (full of even more camp and cheese), so I'm looking forward to Calhoun's work on this tour.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#48BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 2:02pm

I never saw the post-Broadway tour. I was so disappointed with what they did to the show on Broadway, I gave up after that. I was literally laughing during the spandex devil boys, first act finale, the umbrella dance, and Lucy's death. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. And I even remember seeing the show before Bitch Bitch Bitch was cut! Even that number wasn't as bad as what wound up on Broadway.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#49BREAKING NEWS: Constantine Maroulis to Star in Broadway-Bound JEKYLL & HYDE
Posted: 1/30/12 at 2:05pm

Who the hell is still financing Wildhorn productions in 2012??? The producers could save themselves some time and allow me to flush their money down the toilet for them.