pixeltracker

8 the play streaming live tonight

8 the play streaming live tonight

Owen22
#18 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/3/12 at 6:55pm

I'm sure everyone must know about this, right? Its not on the first page (that I could find) so here's the info.

Log on to You Tube at 7:30 (Pacific Time, 10:30 Eastern) to see George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Matt Bomer, Chris Coffer, Jamie Lee Curtis and a whole bunch of other famous-type folk perform Dustin Lance Black's treatment of the Prop 8 Case (based on the actual court transcripts).

Here's the link: http://www.afer.org/live/

Updated On: 3/3/12 at 06:55 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#28 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/3/12 at 7:19pm

Can't wait!

This also was covered by Mashable: http://mashable.com/2012/03/02/youtube-propostion-8-play/

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#28 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/3/12 at 7:21pm

Will you be able to watch it tomorrow?

willep
#38 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/3/12 at 10:18pm

Ugh, I really want to watch it but won't be free when it is streaming 8 the play streaming live tonight

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#48 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/3/12 at 10:25pm

willep, what do you mean? The live stream is free.

EDIT: Just realized I misread. Sorry!

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 3/3/12 at 10:25 PM

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#58 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/3/12 at 10:28pm

willep has other plans at the time of the stream

willep
#68 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/3/12 at 10:33pm

Haha yeah, I meant that I am unavailable to watch it. I'm gonna catch the first couple minutes but that's it.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#78 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/3/12 at 10:55pm

Ugh, mine keeps buffering every three seconds...and why did it just cut to an infomercial during Matt and Matt...I can watch this again tomorrow, right?

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

welcometothetheater Profile Photo
welcometothetheater
#88 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/3/12 at 11:30pm

@Jay Lerner-Z, the infomercial (or campaign ad, you mean?) is part of the script. My college is doing a reading of this in the fall.

For arts and culture commentary, along with other assorted opinions, visit WEEPING ON WHEELS at http://weepingonwheels.tumblr.com/

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#98 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/3/12 at 11:34pm

Thanks - I realized that later on, the first time it cut off Matt Bomer mid sentence, so I wasn't sure!

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#108 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/4/12 at 12:05am

"And that's what we did: We put fear and prejudice on trial. And fear and prejudice lost."

--George Clooney, portraying David Boies in "8"

Updated On: 3/4/12 at 12:05 AM

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#118 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/4/12 at 12:13am

Martin Sheen took my breath away.

welcometothetheater Profile Photo
welcometothetheater
#128 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/4/12 at 12:28am

bjh2114, I so agree. A brilliant, chilling speech.

For arts and culture commentary, along with other assorted opinions, visit WEEPING ON WHEELS at http://weepingonwheels.tumblr.com/

AwesomeDanny
#138 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/4/12 at 12:29am

Martin Sheen gave by far the best performance of the bunch. Most of the other performances felt very forced. Perhaps a future production with a longer rehearsal time will benefit the play more.

kidbroadway2
#148 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/4/12 at 12:31am

Looked at sections of it, seemed pretty good. Hopefully they post the Martin Sheen speech as separate, because I missed that.

somethingwicked
#158 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/4/12 at 12:42am

AwesomeDanny, while I agree that Sheen's speech was the highlight, I completely disagree that all the other performances felt "forced." Jamie Lee Curtis and Christine Lahti (who did the reading here in New York in the same role) were particularly moving.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.

bwayfan7000
#168 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/4/12 at 1:12am

I completely forgot this was happening and I missed this. I really hope that another way to watch it will pop up.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#178 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/4/12 at 1:17am

The whole thing will be available for viewing on the website later. Other than Sheen, I thought Brad Pitt did a really good job as the judge and Kevin Bacon did an excellent job as the defense attorney. Also, I was VERY surprised by how much I liked Chris Colfer, whom I usually cannot stand.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#188 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/4/12 at 1:31am

It's actually up NOW (yay!) but only for about a week.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

bwayfan7000
#198 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/4/12 at 1:35am

Hooray! I can't wait to watch this soon!

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#208 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/4/12 at 2:45am

You can actually watch it now, though I'm not sure how long it will stay up. For some reason you have to skip ahead to 29:51, though it should have a "Skip ahead to start" button.

I had completely forgotten about this, so thanks for the reminder, Owen22. Have to agree with the praise for Martin Sheen. Even with a script in hand, he still gave me chills. I also thought Christine Lahti was quite good.

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#218 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/4/12 at 3:11am

Just finished watching it. I'm having a complicated response.

I'm thrilled that it was presented this way and very grateful for the star power that will get it seen.

I don't like the 'family' framing of the piece though. We homos don't need to be 'just like straight people' to deserve equal rights. I understand how it's useful to the argument, but it's also indirectly propagating a falsehood. In my experience, most gay people do not want a family with children. (And no, I'm not bashing those who do -- I'm saying that it's not the norm in the gay community and I chafe at the idea that it is or needs to be.)

somethingwicked
#228 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/4/12 at 9:28am

I also wanted to mention that I thought Jane Lynch was incredible. Her commitment and power in the Maggie Gallagher vignettes was really, really impressive. It made me want to see much more of her on stage in the future (she'd be a really interesting Dr. Brookner in THE NORMAL HEART.)

Updated On: 3/4/12 at 09:28 AM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#238 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/4/12 at 9:32am

I hope they release this on DVD.
Watch Now

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
#248 the play streaming live tonight
Posted: 3/4/12 at 11:55am

The purpose of showing the family is a direct response to the criticisms made by Prop 8 supporters. They tried/try to say that we aren't capable of such relationships. This framing device reinforces how wrong they are.

Updated On: 3/4/12 at 11:55 AM