Carrie Destruction

Jamesilsley
#1Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 2:34pm

Since I am sure this will be taken down from "that site" soon, I wanted to make sure some of the Carrie-heads got a chance to see the destruction that has been so hotly debated here...

If you happen to be on that one site search for "Carrie the musical, The Destruction MCC theater new york 2012" and see what you see. Updated On: 3/5/12 at 02:34 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 2:37pm

This thread will be deleted.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 2:42pm

Are you f'in kidding me? Last thing I heard, they used a red light, not a Powerpoint presentation of a bucket of blood, followed by Carrie doing an impersonation of The Little Mermaid.

This has to be a joke.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#3Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 2:49pm

I'm surprised it's still on "this" site

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Jamesilsley
#4Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 2:51pm

From what I understand, the projections are used through out the whole show, so I dont have a problem with that at all. I bet the explosion is powerful in that small space. Seeing this made me sad though- they have an opportunity there (if they dont want to pour blood on her) to use a double while Carrie get's blooded up.

Also - the magic of the film and book is that the destruction is actually an accident, not just revenge. Carrie is supposed to be so upset about being covered in blood that she uses her TK to turn on the sprinklers to wash her off which causes an electrical fire. Then she hits the point of no return and goes crazy. I am missing that here. Instead it feels like they want to blow their nut hard and fast. And dont get me started on the interpretive dance deaths.

How much more effective would it have been if they used the same projection for the blood spilling and a cold white spotlight hit Carrie covered in blood (like she is in the curtain call pictures) and it was total, cold silence. Then let it build into the crazy. Let actual things happen to the key kids to cause their deaths one at a time. Let them be hit by a falling rafter or basketball hoop. And then at the end leave some alive to try to get out the (now locked) door before blowing up the place with the awesome projection..... just some thoughts. I just think they missed the emotional arc of this scene.

matineeidol2013 Profile Photo
matineeidol2013
#5Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 2:52pm

very underwhelming. but molly sounds terrific!

I'll take the wind and soar.

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#6Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 2:53pm

Well, I thought it was effective. What do people expect in live theatre...four screens? Blood gushing out over the footlights?
It isn't grand theatre, but it was an entertaining production and I cared about the characters.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#7Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 2:57pm

From what I understand, the projections are used through out the whole show, so I dont have a problem with that at all.

They do? I must have missed that in the eternal preview thread. It looks awful, the bucket pouring the blood looks like someone failed Animation 101.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Jamesilsley
#8Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 2:59pm

Re: projections. I believe so- if you look at the official promo videos, there are projections during The World According to Chris and others.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#9Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 3:00pm

What do people expect in live theatre...four screens? Blood gushing out over the footlights?

Using stage blood will always be easier and cheaper than animated projections. It just seems like no one wanted to be bothered with cleaning it.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#10Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 3:06pm

I'm sorta in love with the hilarious squeaking sound effect that's used for the pulley system as the bucket begins to tilt.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#11Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 3:12pm

The squeaking effect sounds taken out of an 80's SFX recording, it is followed by "single gun shot" and "dog barking".

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#12Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 3:15pm

" they have an opportunity there (if they dont want to pour blood on her) to use a double while Carrie get's blooded up."

They DO use a body double while Carrie goes offstage and gets bloodied up.

Jamesilsley
#13Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 3:21pm

Did not know that. It just seems, especially with the little break where Sue talks to Miss Gardner, they could have employed a little creative staging to get her ready for her blood bath, i dunno... in time for when the blood is poured on her head?

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#14Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 3:32pm

Don't get me wrong- I'm one who was totally underwhelmed by that scene. By the whole show, actually.

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#15Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 3:50pm

M partner hates the projected bucket as well, but i think the rest of it looks great, Molly sounds amazing and the lighting is great.I guess other bootlegs f Carrie will pop up now, i know (and have) 2 already.

And come on, the projections look incredible and the blood pouring down the wall looks brilliant, i think they did a great job with it.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna
Updated On: 3/5/12 at 03:50 PM

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#16Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 3:58pm

It did look like one of the dumbest theatre moments I've witnessed. A video can be deceptive. My guess is, though, it isn't. Pretty uninspired.

". . . POP . . ."

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#17Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 4:02pm

Using stage blood will always be easier and cheaper than animated projections. It just seems like no one wanted to be bothered with cleaning it.

How would they dump blood on her while she's still wearing a microphone? I'm not trying to be snarky. I know they used blood in the original, but I don't understand how they did it without ruining expensive equipment.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#18Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 4:12pm

No matter what the physical or financial limitations, the destruction scene in this production looks like a middle-school talent show version of the "Thriller" video.

They should have tried a little harder.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#19Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 4:13pm

Why do people - especially people who weren't even here when typing "YouTube" was verboten - continue to call it "that site"?

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#20Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 4:15pm

Using blood may be cheaper, but it's certainly not easier. It would get everywhere, including possibly on the audience. All the kids prom attire would be coated, not to mention the floor. So when Carrie returns home her house would already be covered in blood. It wouldnt work.

I think the projectons were really effective and creative.

Thei production doesn't have a big ass staircase to cover all the blood on the floor.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

binau Profile Photo
binau
#21Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 4:15pm

I assume it is difficult to get the same effect on video considering the response to people who have actually seen it seem to be higher than this thread (and I'm sure some people will say that is exactly what they thought they saw, but I mean in general the consensus was more positive in the preview thread than here).

I definitely have found that bootlegs are difficult to capture the lighting/mood of being in the theatre. For example, the lighting in NEXT TO NORMAL is amazing but doesn't come across well on a bootleg I've found. And bootlegs didn't seem to capture well the blinding red coming from the stage in Losing My Mind in the recent FOLLIES, it was almost disorientating I thought compared to what I thought it was going to be from the bootleg.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Jamesilsley
#22Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 4:16pm

Don't assume that the "joined" date always indicates how long a person has been here. I am sorry that it upset you so.

YouTube YouTube YouTube Carrie Destruction

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#23Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 4:17pm

"How would they dump blood on her while she's still wearing a microphone?"

Nellie took a shower on stage in the middle of song in South Pacific and there was a full submersion baptism in Bonnie and Clyde. I don't know how but there must be someway to protect the microphones.

Jamesilsley
#24Carrie Destruction
Posted: 3/5/12 at 4:20pm

I don't even need to see the blood fall on her to make me happy. I just think there could be a way to quick change her while hidden so that the destruction is done with the soaked looking hair and dress. She just looks too clean to be humiliated enough to do what she is doing.

Videos