Evita

Jonwo
#125Evita
Posted: 3/16/12 at 12:16am

It's interesting that it's selling on Broadway as this production wasn't a success in London. It'll be interesting how it does at the Tonys.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#126Evita
Posted: 3/16/12 at 12:21am

^It didn't have Ricky Martin in London. It'll probably sell on his name alone for the first few months at least.

sopranobiz Profile Photo
sopranobiz
#127Evita
Posted: 3/16/12 at 1:01pm

I know they are still in previews and they have a lot of work to do but here on my thoughts on the show.

I was generally let down. The whole show seemed drab (except for some fierce choreo). I have no idea what the Hal Prince show was like but I'm sure it was a lot more exciting than this version probably because the title role could sing it. (More on that later)

The audience went crazy for Ricky Martin to the point of it taking away from the show. He was passable. Like I said I know it was only a preview so maybe he's still finding his character. It seemed like he was a little stiff last night. I was sitting up at the top so the mustache that everyone hates didn't distract me that much.

Michael Cerveris!!! Can this man do no wrong?? Brilliant in every way which says a lot for a thankless role like Peron. "She's a Diamond" (I think that's the name of the song) was one of the acting highlights of the show for me.

Rachel Potter was sweet as the mistress. I used to intern at Telsey casting a many years ago and I understand they had a hard time casting this role which utterly confuses me. There was nothing special or moving about her. I thought she looked too old also. Isn't the mistress supposed to be, like, 16? She sang it fine but it I found my mind wandering the entire time.

I've never seen Max Von Essen in anything and I thought he was a stand out in the whole show maybe one of the most exciting parts.

Ok. Elena Roger. (eye roll) I know you're an amazing actress and it's a huge deal because you're from Argentina but do you know that this is meant for a woman with a FIERCE VOICE??!! Come on!! I was so disappointed I don't think I'll ever get over it. Rainbow High should be one of the highlights of the show and there was just no power to her belt. I didn't care how amazing she was as an actress. I want someone who can sing. Her best moment was "You Must Love Me" because a monkey could sing the song. Oddly enough her accent didn't bother me too much. Just so disappointing. I want Stephanie Block. (pouty face)

You can't even move afterwards because people are waiting for Ricky Martin to come out. I left the show let down and was really annoyed by that.

I give it a 3 out of 10 but I'm sure Ricky Martin fans will keep this turkey open.

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#128Evita
Posted: 3/16/12 at 5:44pm

@sopranobiz --- I must disagree with you on the voice of the Mistress. I thought that though she only had one song in the entire show, her voice was absolutely enchanting.

I DO agree with you regarding Elena Roger though. She was passable, but her voice was weak in certain points of the show.

And like you said, the choreography was PHENOMENAL. I didn't hate it like you did however. I really enjoyed the show and would give it a 9/10.

wicked1492 Profile Photo
wicked1492
#129Evita
Posted: 3/17/12 at 3:06am

I saw the show Thursday night and really enjoyed the production as a whole. The set is gorgeous, breath-taking, and one of the best I've ever seen. The ensemble is very tight and are all excellent. Elena is extremely underwhelming. Her belt is very thin and weak and has no ping. Her acting choices really didn't impress me and I never once saw the light *in* her eyes before it left. I honestly wish I'd seen DeCicco. Ricky Martin cannot act his way out of a paper bag, but is fine in a role that is seemingly easy but so much more could be done. Cerveris is great in a thankless, underdeveloped role.

Overall, I'd give it a 7/10.

PS: The Marquis didn't have the air-conditioning on and it was blazing hot, so it really added another layer to the already life-like Argentinian atmosphere.

"These rabid fans...possess the acting talent to portray the hooker...Linda Eder..." -The New York Times

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#130Evita
Posted: 3/17/12 at 3:24am

God I must be in the vast minority in that I absolutely adore Elena Roger's voice and performance...

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#131Evita
Posted: 3/17/12 at 10:18am

bwayphreak, I am right there with you on the Elena Roger train. I saw the show and found it a truly fantastic production. I have never seen "Evita" live before and had only watched youtube clips of Patti, Elena in London and listened to the cast recording. I think many people are being way to harsh on Elena expecting her to give Patti LuPone's performance of nonstop belting. I support Elena for making healthy vocal choices and having somewhere to go throughout the show. You really saw the way Eva's character evolved because of her vocals, spot on acting abilities and exciting dance moves. I loved the choreography of the show, the lighting (especially during "Don't Cry For Me Argentina"). I found myself getting choked up during that scene because it was so gorgeous. I really felt that the entire cast did a tremendous job. Ricky Martin gave the role of Che his all, Michael is terrific as Juan. I think a lot of people are going into this show expecting powerhouse vocals when they need to stop comparing Elena to Patti. I also had no idea how Elena Roger was able to do about 10 kicks, turns, flips and partnering during "Buenos Aires" and still have clear, strong vocals at the end. To each his own but, I happened to have loved her performance. I am not sure how many people here including myself can dance like she did and still be able to sing ALW & TR's score. I hope people start to embrace her in this role.

TexanAddams18
#132Evita
Posted: 3/17/12 at 7:48pm

Really curious to hear the scoop on Decicco today

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#133Evita
Posted: 3/17/12 at 10:08pm

I don't believe that people are expecting Elena to give a carbon-copy performance like Patti or Elaine. Rather, I feel that some people are a bit disconcerted that Elena's vocals are not stronger. There are certain songs that require a degree of strength and emphasis that are not expressed by Elena's way of singing. I wonder how the critics will respond to her. When I was at the first preview, I wasn't really familiar with Elena. After that was over, I was a bit underwhelmed with her. All in all, it was a good show...but still. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

random person 112
#134Evita
Posted: 3/17/12 at 10:28pm

^With all due respect sir you are contradicting yourself there, you expected a belter like Lupone, and Paige and when Roger wasn't you were clearly disappointed.

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#135Evita
Posted: 3/18/12 at 1:27am

This is my take on this Evita=Belter issue.
The role has become known as a "belt" role. The original score has her belting out F's and G's if I am not mistaken. There is a certain amount of power we have become used to hearing. Yes, that is in part because LuPone was the "original" and she has a distinct voice. But the fact is, the part is originally written for a strong belt voice.
Now don't get me wrong. I'm sure Elena has a fantastic voice (I love her as Fosca) but for me, the lack of power behind her vocals for this particular role does not thrill me. For the softer songs, she sounds fantastic, but for "A New Argentina" I want to be thrown to the back of the house. Especially with "He supports you, understands you, is one of you!" I don't feel that with her. I'm seeing the show next month hopefully. But from the "things" I've heard...I'm getting a feeling that in terms of vocals she may not be my cup of tea. Again...I'm holding out till I see it to be 100% positive.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#136Evita
Posted: 3/18/12 at 2:39am

I saw Elena originally in London and I saw her again with the opening preview in NYC. My reaction is the same with this new production, with perhaps a bit more vitriol due to Ricky Martin mugging his way through the show.

London's Matt Rawle is a tough act to follow and Martin, so far, isn't up to the challenge. His worshipers can keep the show open I'm sure, but his performance is strictly community theatre as it stands.

Roger isn't giving me a worthy enough acting performance to force that miniscule vocal on the audience. It's as bad as it was years ago in London.

BN

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#137Evita
Posted: 3/18/12 at 3:03am

(POSSIBLE SPOILERS) I went into Evita with very high expectations. Why? Because of listening to Paige and Lupone. Is it fair to expect a mimic of them? No BUT I did expect another versatile signature voice that would give Evita some variety. Elena doesn't seem comfortable in the role. I never saw a production of Evita so I might not be the best critic but it seems she has very little command of the stage. Buenos Aries and Rainbow High were the numbers I was looking forward to the most and they both felt flat. Don't Cry for me, WHAT A WASH OUT. Elena seems almost like a national touring Evita not a broadway evita.

What I did like about the show was the set,ensemble,choreography, and how it flows magnificently (it being in previews). Ricky got better, along with Elena as the show went on. High Flying Adored I appreciated a lot. The set in the second act reminds me of Grand Central. Orchestrations are spot on. I don't know about all the smoke/dry ice effect throughout the entire show because of the smell. That's my take on Andrew Lloyd Webber's masterpiece. I will see it again in a month or two but the only changes I can foresee is in Ricky and Elana. Everything else seems fine. And I did stage door it. Ricky came out and signed at most 15 items and left. Don't know if that is how he usually does it but just a heads up. I didn't stay for Elana and Michael cause I was there for at least 45 min so for all I know they left through another door.

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#138Evita
Posted: 3/18/12 at 12:30pm

What's the running time?

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#139Evita
Posted: 3/18/12 at 12:39pm

I was told 2 hours and 25 min. But it was closer to just 2 hours

-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#140Evita
Posted: 3/18/12 at 1:10pm

How is Christina DiCiccio??

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#141Evita
Posted: 3/18/12 at 3:38pm

Right? I'm dying to know. Did anybody see her??

sopranobiz Profile Photo
sopranobiz
#142Evita
Posted: 3/18/12 at 10:17pm

I forgot about the other Evita. When does she go on?

allyk Profile Photo
allyk
#143Evita
Posted: 3/19/12 at 11:45am

Wednesday nights and Saturday matinees.

I have a ticket to see her May 9th and she has never failed to impress me in any other show she's done so I'm quite excited to see her as Eva.

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#144Evita
Posted: 3/19/12 at 12:38pm

I think it will be interesting to hear what Christina's take on the material is -- my hunch is that while her voice is likely a prettier instrument than Roger's that she's not going to be doing LuPone like power belting either. That just doesn't seem to be Grandage's concept for the revival (maybe part of their concept of a softer Eva) -- the alternate in London apparently also had a fairly light voice.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#145Evita
Posted: 3/19/12 at 1:45pm

What is this obsession with people wanting to hear a LuPone-like belter in this role? You want LuPone? Listen to your copy of the OBC for crissake. I bet 1/2 the people posting in this very thread weren't even BORN or for that matter old enough to know who LuPone was or able to see the original 1979 Broadway production and all they have to compare this production with is bootleg videos and their well worn copy of the OBC.

This production was never intended to be a carbon copy of the original production. It is another interpretation of the material. Some people are so stuck in what they think things should look and sound like based on the past that they're closed to any point of view but their own.

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#146Evita
Posted: 3/19/12 at 3:27pm

Evita is the name of the show, therefore I expected the woman playing Evita to perform with conviction. I simply did not see it with Elena. Sorry my mother didn't conceive me earlier to see Lupone in Evita.

-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#147Evita
Posted: 3/19/12 at 3:36pm

Yes, I know EVITA is the name of the show.

And for the record my post wasn't directed at you personally. I totally respected your review of the performance you saw because you backed your views up which most posters on here very rarely do...if at all.

I'm going to see it next week. I'm going in with an open mind. I have no idea whether I will come out liking, loving or abhoring it but I am willing to give it a chance.

Updated On: 3/19/12 at 03:36 PM

Paris.400
#148Evita
Posted: 3/19/12 at 4:20pm

I am one of those who is still wearing out my copy of the Premier American Recording and living for Patti Lupone in this role. Elena's accent got in the way for me in London but then I thought, she's a different artist, she's singing it her way, Elaine Paige did not sound like Patti either but she was great. I saw it last Wednesday and loved it; it still needs some breaking in but it wasn't bad. I agree with going into this production with an open mind as you will find yourself enjoying it very much.

AngelorPhantom1359
#149Evita
Posted: 3/19/12 at 6:53pm

My view of the material (not Patti LuPone, although I adore her) is that Eva needs to have a voice that is like white sound. Searing, edgy, and intensely powerful. To me, this is a reflection of the character. When she enters her upper-register its for lines like "Screw the middle classes..., But your despicable class is dead..., He supports you for he loves you..." she's being extremely aggressive and you need a power belter for that role to display her intense power.

I have yet to see this revival, but I am absolutely going to go in with an open mind. Is she Patti LuPone? No. She's Elena Roger and she's performing Eva the way Elena Roger sees her. If you want to see Patti then you're going to be let down, but if you enter a performance with an open mind and a willingness to accept the material presented in a different form then you almost certainly will enjoy the show.

Videos