pixeltracker

ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS (Spoilers Inside)- Page 3

ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS (Spoilers Inside)

KermitTheFrog Profile Photo
KermitTheFrog
#50ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/8/12 at 1:17pm

So thrilled that this is going down so well across the pond. Great to see such a British show doing so well, especially when some snobbish people looked down on James Corden working at the National.

Hope it cleans up at the Tonys!!

keithp Profile Photo
keithp
#51ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/8/12 at 6:55pm

Phantom of London must have spent so long in the sewers underneath the opera house that it has affected his eyesight and ability to read. It isn't often that someone links to an article that completely contradicts their assertion.

TheSeafarer Profile Photo
TheSeafarer
#52ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/8/12 at 7:41pm

Saw the matinee performance today and absolutely ADORED it. This will be a monster hit. The audience was rollicking with the laughter throughout.

Corden was brilliant, Oliver Chris hysterical, Daniel Rigby superbly silly. Susie Toase and Jemima Rooper were hilarious and Tom Edden as Alfie is among the highlights of a gut-busting, gag-filled and prat falling performance.

Do not miss this show. Guvnors just explodes with laughs in the tradition of the classic old British music hall style. I think it was even funnier than the Norman Conquests and probably one of the funniest farces I've ever seen on Broadway.

Updated On: 4/9/12 at 07:41 PM

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#53ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/8/12 at 9:09pm

Gotta join the choir on this one...what a FUN time at the theater. And thank you Mr. Hytner for not making the 60s more of an accurate portrait (however comical) and less a miserable cliche. Broadway hasn't generally been afforded the latter for some time.

And...I think Mr. Corden needs to clear his shelf for many new flashy awards.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#54ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/8/12 at 9:46pm

My only bit of constructive criticism would be to shorten the show a bit. It felt long to me, and could be tightened up. I enjoyed the music, but maybe time could be saved there if some of it could be trimmed. Don't cut the bicycle horn number though! That was a gem.

kidbroadway2
#55ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/8/12 at 11:18pm

Just out of curiosity, what do people think are the chances of any of the actors having shots at Tony awards? Seeing the show in a week.

TheSeafarer Profile Photo
TheSeafarer
#56ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/9/12 at 12:20am

Definitely think James Corden and Oliver Chris are strong contenders for Tony nods.

I agree too about the music, they should cut one of the tunes from the top of the show prior to act one. No other complaints, just an absolute crowd-pleasing production in every sense. A show that is immensely fun and makes the rest of life's toils disappear for two and a half hours, magic.

Updated On: 4/9/12 at 12:20 AM

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#57ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/16/12 at 5:07pm

At the performance I attended on Sunday, someone threw a hot dog onstage (it was in a bag which James Cordon opened). I knew the hummus sandwich bit was staged (and that still happened, after the hot dog was dealt with), but I wasn't sure if the hot dog being thrown was planned as well. It led to what I thought was some hilarious improv.

Luv2goToShows
#58ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/16/12 at 6:07pm

**********Spoiler*********

Attended the Sunday show too, hysterical about the hotdog, more hysterical when Stanley came out eating it.

Totally enjoyed this show, usually not my type of show so I did not think I would, but I loved every minute, funny and entertaining.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#59ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/17/12 at 3:21pm

While I felt there was at least one song too many at the beginning, I noticed that the first one actually started a couple minutes before the 2 PM curtain time. And when they finished it was exactly 2:11. It seems most shows these days seems to start about 10 minutes late, so now I regard all that music as "entertaining fill instead of waiting in silence" rather than taking time from the show itself.

leefowler
#60ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/17/12 at 3:39pm

One of the funniest shows I've ever seen!

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

RUkiddingme
#61ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/17/12 at 10:24pm

For others like me who left at intermission, no you didn't miss anything ... it's not very funny!

The old guy was very good.

kidbroadway2
#62ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/17/12 at 10:31pm

very interested to see the reviews for this one.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#63ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/17/12 at 11:32pm

For others like me who left at intermission, no you didn't miss anything ... it's not very funny!

Well... if you left at intermission, how do you that you didn't miss anything? How do you know Act 2 wasn't funny?

Roscoe
#64ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 4/18/12 at 10:11am

Saw it last night and enjoyed the hell out of it. The big scene at the end of the first act had me absolutely helpless with laughter more than once.

Forget Christian Borle. Tom Edden, as the elderly waiter, must win the Tony for Best Supporting Actor.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Vagabond Anarchist Profile Photo
Vagabond Anarchist
#65ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 6/16/12 at 11:48pm

On the topic of sandwich plants in the audience... today someone called out "yes" from the mezzanine and Corden seemed a bit thrown and started laughing... he asked what kind and they said "club"

"Ooh, aren't you fancy" was his reply

Then he said "I'd hate to see what you'd do if you went to War Horse... c'mere Joey! I've got some carrots for you Joey boy!"

Then he said "pretend that never happened," they restarted the scene and the hummus sandwich bit happened.

I am guessing the whole first bit was truly improv, but can anyone confirm? Does he normally do the War Horse line? And the line about having spoiled 2 of the 3 lines for the small character who comes out immediately after this bit?

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#66ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 6/17/12 at 12:03am

Vagabond- the guy in the mezzanine was improv. The War Horse line was not. And spoiling 2 of the 3 lines is also planned. Sorry to disappoint, but at least you did get to see some genuine improv with the club sandwich guy!!

Vagabond Anarchist Profile Photo
Vagabond Anarchist
#67ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 6/17/12 at 12:12am

Thanks for weighing in!

musicman_bwayfan
#68ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 6/17/12 at 12:38am

Yeah...it is improv. Although the night I saw it on May 31st a guy in the left orchestra a few rows back had leftovers from some restaurant with him and he happened to have half of a hummus sandwich. The scene got extended about 5-7 minutes because they really milked it on and on. Also the trunk scene where he brings the two guys from the front row on stage ended up lasting about 10+ minutes because things "did not go according to plan."

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#69ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 6/17/12 at 1:28am

The hummus sandwich is a plant. It happens EVERY SINGLE PERFORMANCE. Sometimes it is the only sandwich, but he is prepared for people to speak up. The night I saw it had two sandwich offers.

VERY little of the show is actually improv -- he's just really good at making you think that it is.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#70ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 6/17/12 at 11:39am

I went this past wednesday for the matinee, and while the sandwich was offered, right behind the plant a young girl said she had M&M's. He then naturally started laughing and asked what type they were. The girl said plain, to which he responded to as "classic". The scene went on from there

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#71ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 6/30/12 at 11:32pm

re: the sandwich bit, I saw the show tonight and there was a guy in the mid-Orchestra who threw a sausage sandwich onstage! Which led to several sausage related jokes. I was so sure that that was the planned bit and that the hummus bit that followed was real, so I'm pretty surprised to see it was the opposite!! And the funniest part was a few minutes when Stanley walked out eating the sausage sandwich with a completely satisfied smug look on his face!

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"
Updated On: 6/30/12 at 11:32 PM

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#72ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 7/12/12 at 12:20pm

I just got an email that says it "must close" September 2. I was surprised-- is the theatre being taken by another show?

BroadwayStore.com Profile Photo
BroadwayStore.com
#73ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 7/12/12 at 1:03pm

James Corden is leaving the show and they (smartly so) have decided that they would not try and re-cast.

Your number one source for all things Broadway! BroadwayStore.com.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#74ONE MAN TWO GUVNORS
Posted: 7/12/12 at 9:02pm

Twirl -- Stanley's eating of the sandwich is also planned. It happened at my perf as well.

Again, they do it all so well, that it feels spontaneous.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.