ONCE Reviews

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#1ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 11:12am

Today is Sunday, March 18, marking the official opening night performance of Once, the new stage musical based on the Oscar-winning film about an Irish singer-songwriter named Guy, who meets a muse in the person of a Czech immigrant named Girl, at the Bernard B. Jacobs following previews from February 28. The Academy Award-winning song "Falling Slowly" is included as part of the action of the Dublin-set love story of two musicians in need.

This stage adaptation uses the movie's songs by Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová, who also played the would-be lovers in the film. The stage experience offers two additional numbers — "Abandoned in Bandon" and the Czech folk song "Ej Pada Pada Rosicka."

The cast of Once features Steve Kazee as Guy and Cristin Milioti as Girl. Rounding out the troupe of actor-musicians are David Abeles, Will Connolly, Elizabeth A. Davis, David Patrick Kelly as Guy's Da, Anne L. Nathan as Girl's mother, Lucas Papaelias, Ripley Sobo, Andy Taylor, Mckayla Twiggs, Erikka Walsh, Paul Whitty and J. Michael Zygo.

Here's how the producers characterize the musical: "[Once] tells the story of an Irish musician and a Czech immigrant drawn together by their shared love of music. Over the course of one fateful week, their unexpected friendship and collaboration evolves into a powerful but complicated romance, heightened by the raw emotion of the songs they create together. Brought to the stage by an award-winning team of visionary artists and featuring an ensemble cast of gifted actor/musicians, Once is a musical celebration of life and love: thrilling in its originality, daring in its honesty... and unforgettable in every way."

Break legs, all!

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#2ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 11:32am

Did anyone see it during the Off-Broadway run?

I was invited to attend tonight by someone involved with the show, and am very much looking forward to it.

Wishing all involved with the show a great night.

ETA - Thanks for the direction to read some of the other threads (Off-Broadway and Previews).

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Updated On: 3/18/12 at 11:32 AM

ryantbo2 Profile Photo
ryantbo2
#2ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 11:57am

I saw this on the 3rd preview. When I got back to Philly, I logged on immediately to order the soundtrack. A show that is full of heart. Also advice - get to the theater early. The stage is set up like an Irish Pub and the audience can actually go up get a pint and be entertained by the cast. Adds a whole experience to being out at the theater. BREAK A LEG everyone involved

willep
#3ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 11:59am

I saw it at NYTW and absolutely loved it. I will be there tonight as well, can't wait to see how it works in a larger theatre...hoping it keeps its intimate beauty.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 1:32pm

NYadgirl -- gads of us saw it off b'way. There are a number of threads about it. Lots of folks have also seen it in previews that have posted about it as well.

Personally, I loved it and can't wait to get back to see it in two weeks. I found it to be one of the best shows of the last FEW seasons.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#5ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 1:49pm

It's such an exciting season for new musicals. I've heard good things about Newsies, Once, and Ghost. Hopefully "Leap of Faith" is just as good.

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#6ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 2:28pm

Break legs!! Can't wait to read reviews and finally see it on Saturday!

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#7ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 5:47pm

hope this show gets all the positive reviews it deserves.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

aasjb4ever Profile Photo
aasjb4ever
#8ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 6:17pm

The amount of talent involved in this show is an embarrassment of riches, and it deserves every accolade it’s gotten and will get tonight.

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#9ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 6:35pm

While the show might get one or two less-than-rave reviews (as we witnessed with Ben Brantley recently) I think the show will garner many strong reviews -- and I'll even go on record now, before the rest of the new musicals open (and the ONCE Broadway reviews are published) -- to predict ONCE will take the Tony Award for Best Musical this season.

...and one more prediction before the season ends: Jeremy Jordan will win Best Actor in a Musical for NEWSIES

Updated On: 3/18/12 at 06:35 PM

everythingstaboo Profile Photo
everythingstaboo
#10ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 7:46pm

ACL2006- I agree. I hope it gets all the great reviews that this innovative show deserves. I saw it last week and thought it was so charming. Fingers crossed for all involved!

srg129
bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#12ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 8:25pm

I am actually NOT a fan of the cast recording. I was quite surprised by how little I enjoyed it... I still do want to see this if I am able to get into the city this summer. I am probably going to have to choose between this and GHOST... (Evita is already for sure!) Any advice about choosing between the two would be appreciated!

Anyways, I wish this show all the luck in the world and hope it garners some great reviews tonight!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

srg129
theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#14ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 8:28pm

bwayphreak, I didn't buy or listen to the cast recording beforehand, and I'm glad. They all sound great, but the staging and performance of the music is more impressive than the songs themselves. The show is full of incredible ensemble work and really adds to the music.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#15ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 8:38pm

I think chances for a May discount are becoming slim. Should I buy full price? If this becomes another Mormon and it's impossible to find a ticket, I'd be so upset.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

broadwaydevil
#16ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 8:54pm

Blaxx - If you can spring it I'd buy it now. I'm not saying they will go up and become an incredibly hot ticket but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'm still kicking myself about Book of Mormon, which I decided against going to during previews and ended up paying more than double the price a month later.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

broadwaydevil
#17ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 8:59pm

The LA Times is mostly positive:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/culturemonster/2012/03/theater-review-once-on-broadway.html

"Two things save this inspirational tale from becoming precious — the music, which is better than the dialogue, and the book’s refusal to satisfy the expectations of traditional romance. Indeed, there are more believable ways for Guy and Girl to love than in the standard “and they lived happily ever after” format, and part of what is so touching about the musical is its recognition that even fleeting encounters of sublime tenderness can have a transfiguring impact."

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#18ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 8:59pm

I don't see this becoming a breakout hit like "Book of Mormon", even with very positive reviews. It's comedy vs. romantic drama. Will it be a hot ticket?? if and only if it wins the Tony Award(which it should). To find a discount for May seems likely, but come June 11, maybe not.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

broadwaydevil
#19ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 9:01pm

The Faster Times is mostly positive.

http://www.thefastertimes.com/newyorktheater/2012/03/18/once-review-falling-slowly-on-broadway/

"Once” stays homey, charming, and inviting; on a smaller scale than usual for a Broadway musical, which turns out to be a good thing. It is also slow moving and slight. It requires patience, or at least the right mind-set, to fall for this show (Falling slowly, indeed.)"

Updated On: 3/18/12 at 09:01 PM

broadwaydevil
#20ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 9:04pm

The Hollywood Reporter is a rave!!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/once-theater-review-301366

"Once is a small-scale but warmly affecting show, crafted with profound respect for the power of music. For anyone who feels that Broadway has become the domain of bloated spectacles and cynically overworked brands, this will be a refreshing artisanal tonic."

srg129
#21ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 9:18pm

Newsday is very positive:

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/theater/once-enchants-in-screen-to-stage-move-1.3610493

Updated On: 3/18/12 at 09:18 PM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#22ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 9:20pm

Glad to see good buzz, Bway needs it.
But how is "slow moving and slight" very positive?

joeyohern
#23ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 9:21pm

I'm not sure all of these "VERY positive" reviews are positive. One straight up said the book felt contrived.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#24ONCE Reviews
Posted: 3/18/12 at 9:25pm

You can certainly quibble about "very" and "mostly," but all the reviews discussed here so far are manifestly positive.

Videos